• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Savage LRP 6.5cm

Has anyone seen one of these? I'm kicking myself I was about to buy one online last night and now they are sold out. Curious if anyone has seen them in shops local, or possibly .260rem.

Are you open to 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem?

Its a great gun. I'd own one if they made one in LH.

Don

I'm was open to both. Originally wanted 6.5 CM but I just bought the 260 rem. Better brass and since I reload evertyhing I shoot went with the 260. Either way can't lose with either round. Should have this set up by the weekend hopefully. Now I just need my ammo to arrive. Only downside to the 260 rem is that ammo is expensive if buying. But at least the only match ammo out there comes in lapua brass.

Have you read the Zac Smith comparison? He prefers the .260 Rem over 6.5 Creedmoore and 6.5 Swede.

The 6.5 Creedmoore only offers a benefit in an AR. The problem with .260 Rem in the AR is that you can't load rounds with heavy high BC bullets long enough to get close to the lands and still have it fit in an AR mag.

The Creedmoore is a much shorter cartridge from the get go, so you can load them long and still have them fit in an AR mag. But for a dedicated bolt gun, they are very similar.

Zak Smith said something to the effect that they are so similar that if he had one he would not bother to change to the other based on his experiences. But overall, he did prefer the .260 Rem, especially since Lapua brass became available for it in 2011

Don

Have you read the Zac Smith comparison? He prefers the .260 Rem over 6.5 Creedmoore and 6.5 Swede.

The 6.5 Creedmoore only offers a benefit in an AR. The problem with .260 Rem in the AR is that you can't load rounds with heavy high BC bullets long enough to get close to the lands and still have it fit in an AR mag.

The Creedmoore is a much shorter cartridge from the get go, so you can load them long and still have them fit in an AR mag. But for a dedicated bolt gun, they are very similar.

Zak Smith said something to the effect that they are so similar that if he had one he would not bother to change to the other based on his experiences. But overall, he did prefer the .260 Rem, especially since Lapua brass became available for it in 2011

Don

Probably read his article at some point. But comparing ballistics they are pretty much identical (6.5cm seeems to be an answer to a question no one asked). I couldn't find anything that would swing me one way or the other. Yes the 6.5cm can be loaded longer, but the only other advantage that is offered is factory match ammo. Something that the 260 lacks. But the 260 from a reloading stand point is the better choice. With .243 win and .308 brass always available to neck down and Lapua now offering 260 brass it was the better choice for me. Honestly the gun is pretty hard to find it seems so I just bought the first one I found. Either caliber would have done for me. Can't wait to take this out at Thunder Valley or Rayners in a couple weeks!

Back
Top Bottom