Savage Enfield (T) Sniper - Less Telescope

Yesterday I admitted that I succumbed to a moment of weakness, and bought another gun in the last month of 2015. And to further prove that I just can't help myself when it comes to milsurps, here's the other half of the purchase.

Presenting a Savage Lee Enfield No.4 MkI (T) Less Telescope.

QpJnuUFl.jpg

The (T) is the British designation for their sniper rifles. The bulk of war-time snipers were converted from standard No.4's which met accuracy requirements by the Holland and Holland Armory. Cheekrests and scope mounting pads were added, and the battle-sight peep was ground off the top of the rear sight frame. The underside of the buttstock was stamped with S51. Some of the guns were refitted with British five-groove barrels. When optics were added, a scope number was stamped into the wrist of the stock.

As the production of snipers was lagging behind schedule, approximately 3,400 units were never fitted with scopes, and were simply placed in crates which read "less telescope" at war's end. These guns were eventually surplussed out of inventory in the 1960's.

The following is one of the early Savage rifles which was not fully completed to sniper status. It is in time capsule condition. We don't often get to see the original Savage Dulite bluing, as most were grey-green parkerized during post-war refurbishment. It has the original six-groove barrel, and is non import marked.

Lots of detailed pics. Enjoy them, and thanks for looking.

VE3mI5Il.jpg

QpJnuUFl.jpg

GMVBma1l.jpg

x0RComil.jpg

xFmt43yl.jpg

ahY45YCl.jpg

Qtl6Yvgl.jpg

4YKfsG6l.jpg

Hil5Gc6l.jpg

An6WBeLl.jpg

ZHSFTf2l.jpg

f7JW0yKl.jpg

6NqF7fRl.jpg

siMN6mLl.jpg

hcW80trl.jpg

rpUHpapl.jpg

OWwBIwwl.jpg

xmM9N8gl.jpg

ZlCH0gRl.jpg

YRgkiMpl.jpg

6OaiCIxl.jpg

vbFjsjal.jpg

17bWYfVl.jpg

vYYQxKkl.jpg

4URAgnCl.jpg

3av0Ae0l.jpg

Lpo9MAcl.jpg

sZC8Jj5l.jpg

XeGLvjfl.jpg

SObS7Lcl.jpg

f2c1l9Nl.jpg

lFAuzrsl.jpg

QpJnuUFl.jpg

VE3mI5Il.jpg

Last edited:
A repro scope is all this will ever need, since a real No. 32 MkI was never fitted. The gun is considered as correct without the optics.

That'll also save many, many hundreds of dollars, and still have the 400 yard tack driver.

Lol still didn't sell it as compliments my 42 savage well, was floored someone was that desperate to find one. Remember seeing them occasionally couple years ago, lately not so much (least not rusted or torn)

Arrgghh you must comb every online source and gun shop to find this stuff.
Either that lots of old gun owners up your way.

This one found me. Shop owner gave me a call when it came in.

You have had some great success with your local shops. Only shop I can think of I been in here in mass with a chance of finding something cool is pack and postal... I have not been out gun shop hunting since 2008 when,my first was born. 3 kids now. No time and very little "me" money now.

So I do enjoy your post at least I get to see some great guns

I don't often shoot my collectibles, but this one was too tempting.

I picked up a repro mount bracket from Numrich, and mounted a Weaver K2.5-1 scope which was sitting on my shelf. Sighting through the bore and scope looked very promising. So, I set targets at 25, 50 and 75 yards and worked my way out. All shots made paper. The last group of three shots had two shots touching in the bullseye, and one at ten o'clock in the 8-ring. As soon as the beaver bog freezes, I'll set up at 200 yards, really take my time, and see what this gun can do. So far, it is awesome.

For collimation, I will give the machining of the Numrich mounting bracket a big thumbs-up. My shooting? Need some practice, but O.K.

Below is the Savage on the bench, with '64 dated surplus .303, and followed by a pic of the adjustments for the final three groups at 75 yards.

fAbMKH1l.jpg

b7bbVXhl.jpg

Outstanding rifle & great pics! Really like to see folks shoot them also- nice groups!

Being late, and all the late variation savage replacement stocks avaliable with non slotted handguards I assume speed up production/cost cutting

Back
Top Bottom