Savage Axis vs Axis II

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
What’s the difference. I must be missing something but when I was on the savage website, the only difference I saw a note it was a more ergonomic stock. There has to be more than that???

Accu trigger in the Axis II.

The trigger in the Axis is terrible. I ended up putting in a Timney trigger in mine. Mine is a good shooter.

Bob"

Agreed. Savage Axis 1 = Great rifle, but a crappy stock trigger.

I have a Savage Axis 1 and replaced the stock trigger with a Rifle Basix adjustable trigger. The Timney replacement trigger was not yet out at the time.

As has already been said, AccuTrigger is the difference. And yes, you definitely want it over the trigger in the Axis. It is worth the money, and then some.

Any suggestions on caliber?
Using it for paper at 200 yards. That’s the max at my range. Would like to shoot longer distances at some point...

Last edited:
Mine is in 30-06 as I use it for hunting. I am somewhat "fuddy" when it comes to my guns so they each have their purpose.

If it is only for range use I would look for something that is low recoil and flat shooting.

With my 30-06 I care about the cold bore shot and then next two. It typically shoot 4-5 rounds and let the barrel cool. In the meantime I have fun with the .22

There was some good advice in your other thread.

Bob

I got the Axis II in .30-06 for hog hunting and because I already reload .30-06. The trigger is awesome. I set the trigger on the lightest setting. The first time I took it out, I sighted in on a 300+ hog and squeezed the trigger. It broke before I knew it. Very accurate at 150+ yards.

if going savage consider the model 10. i've never been impressed with the axis especially the mags and their retention system. it's a good budget rifle with a solid barrel but for a little more $$ one can be into a ruger american predator or ranch rifle, or a savage model 10 for example. the tikka t3 (or CTR model) is fantastic. definitely priceier but worth every penny and if ever selling they command better re-sale value.

in terms of upgrades, i would suggest trying ot get a rifle that has all the upgrades already built in. otherwise the cost of upgrades quickly outstrips the rifle and one is in an extra like $300 on a $300 rifle. i refuse to purchase a bolt action rifle that requires a trigger upgrade. no thanks.

Get the new 10 in the accufit stock in 6.5 creedmoor. You can shoot a fair bit and if you so choose to you can easily drop that into a new chassis, or swap caliber, or both. Its worth the extra coin IMO.

Using it for paper at 200 yards. That’s the max at my range. Would like to shoot longer distances at some point...
I picked up a stainless Savage Axis II rifle, NIB with mounted 3x-9x Leupold scope at a gun show (private sale cash money) while visiting family in Alabama. Caliber is .223 and I use M193 55 grain ball for practice. With Federal XM193, I get 1/2 inch 3 round groups at 100 yards consistently. The .223 should serve you well.

I do about the same at 100 with my 30-06 axis from a rest. The best factory round I have shot so far is the Hornady Whitetail in 180g. The small holes are from a .22 I was fooling around with while I was waiting for the barrel to cool down.

I'm sure I could do better if I reloaded and took the time to work up a load but this is fine for what I am using it for.

20170811_182129.jpg

For a range only rifle to 200 yards I would tend to think of the .223, .270, or maybe the 6.5 creedmore.

Bob

Bumping this thread to ask a question:

Folks have been talking about the $250 Axis deal at Cabelas coupled with the MCARBO kit. Is that better than the AccuTrigger?

I ask because they have the Axis II for only $11 more right now...seems like the better route unless you're in love with the camo stock

At 200 yards anything will shoot good and get boring, from .223 up.

If you want somewhat of a challenge at 200, shoot .22 offhand.

If you want to stay on the cheaper side and eventually go further, I guess it depends how much further, but you could do .308.

EDIT: F*CK THREAD REVIVAL.

Folks have been talking about the $250 Axis deal at Cabelas coupled with the MCARBO kit. Is that better than the AccuTrigger?

I ask because they have the Axis II for only $11 more right now...seems like the better route unless you're in love with the camo stock
Great question. The accutrigger is excellent for all but serious bench work. In a hunting rifle, I doubt you want to go lighter than the adjustment available on the axis II

Great question. The accutrigger is excellent for all but serious bench work. In a hunting rifle, I doubt you want to go lighter than the adjustment available on the axis II
Then, do the MCARBO springs raise the Axis trigger to something worthy of "serious bench work"? Or am I misunderstanding your post, and you're saying to just get the AccuTrigger, and enjoy it?

Then, do the MCARBO springs raise the Axis trigger to something worthy of "serious bench work"? Or am I misunderstanding your post, and you're saying to just get the AccuTrigger, and enjoy it?

Depending on your use I’d say get the accutrigger. I have no experience with the mcarbo

I actually have the accutrigger on the ba10 stealth and it is a bench gun. I was thinking of the axis 2 I had a few years ago and loved the accutrigger in that too.

If you really want to lighten it you can replace the trigger spring with a target trigger spring for about $3. I also have the accutrigger in 2 .22 rifles. One has the target spring and breaks at slightly under a pound. Again, not world class but what is your goal?

I've got 2 Axis I XPs with MCARBO trigger kits installed and a B22 Magnum with the Accutrigger. The MCARBOs are really light. The Accutrigger can't adust down quite that low, but I'd say it's low enough. The Accutrigger does have a blade, which some people dislike.

The Axis II also comes with a Bushnell scope that's probably a step up from the Weavers on the Axis I. I was at the Hudson Cabela's today and the only Axis I they have left is a .243 youth model. The guy I talked with said they only had 17 of them on hand and all sold out yesterday. They're not available on the website either, but Axis IIs are in a few calibers. It seems like the Axis II is the better deal, and may be the only choice given the rebate requires a purchase by next weekend.

Depending on your use I’d say get the accutrigger. I have no experience with the mcarbo

I actually have the accutrigger on the ba10 stealth and it is a bench gun. I was thinking of the axis 2 I had a few years ago and loved the accutrigger in that too.

If you really want to lighten it you can replace the trigger spring with a target trigger spring for about $3. I also have the accutrigger in 2 .22 rifles. One has the target spring and breaks at slightly under a pound. Again, not world class but what is your goal?

I've got 2 Axis I XPs with MCARBO trigger kits installed and a B22 Magnum with the Accutrigger. The MCARBOs are really light. The Accutrigger can't adust down quite that low, but I'd say it's low enough. The Accutrigger does have a blade, which some people dislike.

The Axis II also comes with a Bushnell scope that's probably a step up from the Weavers on the Axis I. I was at the Hudson Cabela's today and the only Axis I they have left is a .243 youth model. The guy I talked with said they only had 17 of them on hand and all sold out yesterday. They're not available on the website either, but Axis IIs are in a few calibers. It seems like the Axis II is the better deal, and may be the only choice given the rebate requires a purchase by next weekend.
Perfect. The two of you have helped me make my mind.

Thanks!

I was at the range today sighting in a new toy, and I brought along the Axis I XP in 6.5 to try out some CMP match grade ammo. I was curious about point of impact and whether the rifle even likes the ammo. (The 200 round case of ammo costs almost as much as the rifle!)

All groups were shot at 100 yards, and the irst group of 3 was about 1". They're the three on the edges of my calibrated nickel. The upper right is from another group shot with my usual Winchester bulk ammo.
IMG_2038.jpg

Group 2 measures about .7".
IMG_2036.jpg

Group 3 is right about .75"
IMG_2037.jpg

Turns out the XP seems to like this 140 grain BTHP ammo, and I am still amazed at how capable this $250 scope and rifle combo is. Looking forward to trying it out in warmer weather!

Back
Top Bottom