Savage Arms makes a 1911? Who knew?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Ran across an article that mentioned that Savage Arms has started to make 1911s. Savage makes the slide themselves and source the frames from an unnamed shop in Springfield MA. Overall not a bad looking gun. Reviews seem to be good. It would seem though that Savage Arms is a little weak on their advertising.

I think Savage lost the bid to Colt for the .gov contract for 1911's about 100 years ago?
Could be mistaken. Not sure why they weren't contracted for the war effort like Remington was.
It was the savage 1907 that the colt 1911 beat for the contract. I for one am happy about it because the 1907 was ugly as f***.

Historic_Investments_Savage_1907_Matte_Finish_Rework_.45_ACP_107_A-1819_00.jpg

well, the designs were relevant for the time. it's just the savage isn't really what you think a military pistol should look like now after the 3 major ones the united states have used...colt, beretta & sig. but you gotta love those cocking serrations on the savage. wearing thick calvary gloves bouncing on a horse you could probably get that slide back, no?

Looks good , but no carbon frame and slide? And why enter a market that is over saturated with offerings from nearly every company out there?

Interesting. I wonder if and when they might be approved for MA sales. Guessing they use Smith & Wesson frames or Remsport, if they're still casting them.

Interesting. I wonder if and when they might be approved for MA sales. Guessing they use Smith & Wesson frames or Remsport, if they're still casting them.
Price matters to me more than MA compliance. Like someone said its a crowded market.

I think Savage lost the bid to Colt for the .gov contract for 1911's about 100 years ago?
Could be mistaken. Not sure why they weren't contracted for the war effort like Remington was.

They were busy with other military projects.

Although Arthur Savage died in 1941 at the age of 84, when the dark clouds of war loomed his company again answered the call. During World War II Savage Arms produced some 1,400,000 Thompson submachine guns, over 1,000,000 No. 4 Lee Enfield rifles for the Lend Lease Program, as well as .30 and .50 caliber Browning aircraft machine guns. They actually averaged 55,000 guns per month for the war effort. Following the war excess capacity forced Savage to pursue other markets. Unfortunately a spell of indecision and mis-steps followed and in 1960 Savage closed two of its three factories and moved to its present location in Westfield, Massachusetts.

Ran across an article that mentioned that Savage Arms has started to make 1911s. Savage makes the slide themselves and source the frames from an unnamed shop in Springfield MA. Overall not a bad looking gun. Reviews seem to be good. It would seem though that Savage Arms is a little weak on their advertising.

frames aren't coming from an unnamed shop in springfield.

I'd hesitate to buy a 1911 from any manufacturer that didn't have a nice long track record of making 1911s that run reliably.

OK. Article say they are getting their frames from Springfield MA. That has to be S&W, but they don't specifically say. If you have more info please share!
They are made on variance but no where around here. We don't have any 1911 frame manufacturers around here other than S&W/Colt/Ruger and none of them want to assist their competitors.

Looks good , but no carbon frame and slide? And why enter a market that is over saturated with offerings from nearly every company out there?
Because savage, there are still savage fans out there that will by it just because savage and even more so If savage kept their logo

Savage is owned by Vista OutDoor and they own a shit ton of other stuff. Maybe left over equipment from Remington ? They own that IIRC.

Also S&W still forges 1911 frames and slides and other stuff so It would not surprise me if Savage is buying forging from S&W .

Savage is owned by Vista OutDoor and they own a shit ton of other stuff. Maybe left over equipment from Remington ? They own that IIRC.

Also S&W still forges 1911 frames and slides and other stuff so It would not surprise me if Savage is buying forging from S&W .
savage hasn't been under vista for almost 4 years now.

The slide milling and serrations are unique. Kind of Hi-Power-ish. Their railed 1911 looks good to me thanks to that unique taper when normally I think they are ugly as sin.

Has a glare reducing texture on the top of the slide.
SAVAGE_1911_GOVT_STYLE_%20BLACK_LEFT_REAR_0132.png

SAVAGE_1911_GOVT_STYLE_RAIL_GUN_%20BLACK_RIGHT_REAR_0035.png

SAVAGE_1911_GOVT_STYLE_%20BLACK_BARREL_0125.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom