Savage 110 scout muzzle device

Soundwave

NES Member
So I have a Savage scout that is really just for the range. I don't hunt. One day the muzzle brake came loose and it got me thinking about replacing it. Is it even worth it? Anyone have a recommendation if so?

Range gun, I'd put the original back on with some Loctite Red and call it a day. If there were a chance I'd be using it without hearing protection, I'd replace it with a thread protector (or linear compensator, I guess) as I'd like my tinnitus to not get any worse. I don't class 308 as a caliber that needs recoil reduction, of course. If your Scout is light enough, perhaps it does.

Ok that sounds reasonable. It is definitely VERY loud with it on. I found that out the hard way lol. As for recoil reduction it's actually very nice to shoot as is.

on a 308 bolt action I like a muzzle brake for the sole purpose of minimizing disturbance to sight picture, thus allowing self spotting of shots at range. for hunting i would not bother with a muzzle brake although any muzzle device will help protect the crown while out in the field. i'm partial to the PWS brakes but there are are many good options out there for muzzle devices.
PRC Compensator- 30 (5/8x24)

for a 308 bolt gun definitely avoid a linear compensator as the recoil will be substantially increased.

Back
Top Bottom