Sauer 38H

I saw my cousin over the holidays and he asked me if I could help him identify a gun for him (he is not a gun person but this is in his family). He sent me this photo. He mentioned it was brought back by one of the grandfathers but I need to learn some more of the known history.

photo-8.jpg

It appears to be a mid series Sauer 38H to me. Can anyone tell more about this from the photo or tell me what to look for?

Thanks,
Matt

Is that a Waffenamt under the trigger lock? If so, it was accepted by the Wehrmacht. Many Fallschirmjagers carried them along with military police, ect. More pictures of both sides,ect would be needed for a value and overall condition.

Also be very careful with the grips on these. They have been known to be brittle after time.

Very likely a WaA. Mine is a 1942 and carries the WaA 37 on the front l/h side of the trigger guard,
as well as a "civilian" Eagle over N proof under the serial on the rear l/h side of the frame.

Thanks for the replies and info. I got a little more information from my cousin. He said his grandfather (not mine) took it off an Italian officer. His grandfather was shot but it hit his radio, then he shot the Italian officer and took his gun. He said it was with this holster. Is this the correct holster? He said he would take some more photos and I will post when I get them.
Thanks,
Matt

holster.jpg

Is that a Waffenamt under the trigger lock? If so, it was accepted by the Wehrmacht. Many Fallschirmjagers carried them along with military police, ect. More pictures of both sides,ect would be needed for a value and overall condition.

Also be very careful with the grips on these. They have been known to be brittle after time.

This is good advice. These 38H's were only made during WW2, and either more photos and/or a hands-on inspection with tell you what you have. I'd like to know if that is the correct holster for that gun as well. Time for some research.

Back
Top Bottom