"Saturday Night Specials" / FFL3 / Gun Control Act of 1968 / Handgun Control Act of 1970 / and unrelated Black Powder Revolver

TC McQuade

NES Member
"Saturday Night Specials" / FFL3 / Gun Control Act of 1968 / Handgun Control Act of 1970

I've been trying to learn about the "Saturday Night Special"category of a firearm/handgun and to best of my ability to research these I have found very little information on them.

"Saturday Night Specials" are a cheap low quality low cost imported handgun which appear to be no different than any other firearms, in the eyes of the ATF or states, as far as I can tell. In the late 60's it appears that the Feds outlawed the importation of "Saturday Night Specials" but did not outlaw the ownership/possession/transfer of such a firearm. I've found some auction site selling them in recent years. It appears that they have a limited/low appeal to gun owners with the exception to collectors or a small minority of gun owners.

New York Times has an article from 1970 implying that they are illegal however it appears that the article is incorrect and inaccurate.

The ATF has no information on the Gun Control Act of 1968 or the Handgun Control Act of 1970 (Mentioned in the New York Times article linked above, which I don't think actually exists)

1. My question is; most if not all imported SNS are over 50 years old which would make it appear that a FFL3 holder can purchase one out of state and bring it back / or have it shipped to their collection in their home state. States do not appear to have any laws regarding these nostalgic relics from yesteryears. Am I missing anything?

2. Unrelated to the subject above. Is a Black powder revolver 50+ years old considered a handgun under Federal law ( Mass does not consider a Black Powder whatever to be a firearm) and follows the same rules of other FFL3 holder rules? And a Black Powder newer than 50 years old follows fed laws of any newer firearm/handgun. There is no exception to a black powder handgun.

My first experience with Saturday Night Specials:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

I sort of have a SNS now. At least I mean I have a real nice snubby...

I just put on better Hogue grips.

My first experience with Saturday Night Specials:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01lZbrxxb0

I sort of have a SNS now. At least I mean I have a real nice snubby...

I just put on better Hogue grips.

I have a 642 also :)

"Saturday Night Specials" / FFL3 / Gun Control Act of 1968 / Handgun Control Act of 1970

I've been trying to learn about the "Saturday Night Special"category of a firearm/handgun and to best of my ability to research these I have found very little information on them.

"Saturday Night Specials" are a cheap low quality low cost imported handgun which appear to be no different than any other firearms, in the eyes of the ATF or states, as far as I can tell. In the late 60's it appears that the Feds outlawed the importation of "Saturday Night Specials" but did not outlaw the ownership/possession/transfer of such a firearm. I've found some auction site selling them in recent years. It appears that they have a limited/low appeal to gun owners with the exception to collectors or a small minority of gun owners.

New York Times has an article from 1970 implying that they are illegal however it appears that the article is incorrect and inaccurate.

The ATF has no information on the Gun Control Act of 1968 or the Handgun Control Act of 1970 (Mentioned in the New York Times article linked above, which I don't think actually exists)

1. My question is; most if not all imported SNS are over 50 years old which would make it appear that a FFL3 holder can purchase one out of state and bring it back / or have it shipped to their collection in their home state. States do not appear to have any laws regarding these nostalgic relics from yesteryears. Am I missing anything?

2. Unrelated to the subject above. Is a Black powder revolver 50+ years old considered a handgun under Federal law ( Mass does not consider a Black Powder whatever to be a firearm) and follows the same rules of other FFL3 holder rules? And a Black Powder newer than 50 years old follows fed laws of any newer firearm/handgun. There is no exception to a black powder handgun.
Minnesota has a state level sns law. Can't even buy a heritage rough ruder 22 in that state.

Screenshot_20221102-042938_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have a FIE Titan .25 auto. Bought it new for $95 out the Door. Had a Raven too but that was one of the Guns I sold.
Maryland passed a Saturday Night Special Law to Ban them back in the Late '80s.

Malodave

Attachments

• FIE Titan.jpg
    FIE Titan.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12

Right up there with their hit "You're Not Free, Bird!" Tools. LOL

Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else.
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself.
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me.

A buddy at work gave me a Bag-O-Gun a couple of years ago to see if I could put it back together for him. Turned out to be a Rhom RG model .22 (I THINK it was an RG-10 but unsure now)

He won it in a card game decades earlier, took it apart to "clean" it and was unable to reassemble it. I was able to get it operational for him.

20190509_152813.jpg

Definitely fell into this category.

Mine. Bought brand new for $55 + tax.

Still have it.

Attachments

• DBAF2418-59B7-454F-A84E-FA0EA8A96B5B.png
    DBAF2418-59B7-454F-A84E-FA0EA8A96B5B.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 2
I have a FIE Titan .25 auto. Bought it new for $95 out the Door. Had a Raven too but that was one of the Guns I sold.
Maryland passed a Saturday Night Special Law to Ban them back in the Late '80s.

Malodave
This is what I think of with a Saturday night special... I want one just to have one but .25 ammo down here in NC is hard to find. These guns didn't go away they still were made... but better options like .380 etc and technology improved.

I wonder what Saturday night specials under the bill even are.

They allow someone who can't afford a gun to have a gun.

Nowadays.. you could say a Highpoint is a Saturday night special as far as cheapness goes.. also SCCY probably are the cheapest guns you'll see especially in the south.

The preferred handgun of every Reagan attacker. You'd think when you're trying to impress Jody Foster, you'd pick a nicer gun.

This is what I think of with a Saturday night special... I want one just to have one but .25 ammo down here in NC is hard to find. These guns didn't go away they still were made... but better options like .380 etc and technology improved.

I wonder what Saturday night specials under the bill even are.

They allow someone who can't afford a gun to have a gun.

Nowadays.. you could say a Highpoint is a Saturday night special as far as cheapness goes.. also SCCY probably are the cheapest guns you'll see especially in the south.
Lol jennings and shit points are the cheapest... Diamondbacks are cheap too

SAUCY (SCCY) is a click up from that lol

Back
Top Bottom