• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Satisfying "Proof of knowledge of Handgun Safety" for ME permit

Simple answer . . . NO! I doubt that many/any other states accept the MSP bogus certificate.

They accept NRA Certificates. Just read their packet of info on what courses are accepted. I don't recall.

I used the MSP bogus certificate for my Maine non-res and had no issues at all.

I used the MSP bogus certificate for my Maine non-res and had no issues at all.

I stand corrected!

From the 2010 ME brochure on getting a gun license:

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety. The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proofthat the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed acourse that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of afederal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearmsinstructor certified by a private firearms association recognized asknowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by thestate in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or otherdocument, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates thatthe course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

Considering the variability of what is taught to get a MSP bogus certificate, this honestly surprises me that they would accept that certificate without question about what course was taught.

Last edited:
I stand corrected!

From the 2010 ME brochure on getting a gun license:

Considering the variability of what is taught to get a MSP bogus certificate, this honestly surprises me that they would accept that certificate without question about what course was taught.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was going to be accepted but submitted it anyway just to see and turns out they do accept it. At least for me, I don't know if others have ran into issues with using the MSP certificate.

I simply sent in a copy of the NRA Basic Pistol certificate that I used to apply for my LTC, complete with all the Massachusetts logos all over it. They didn't have a problem with that. Not sure if sending in a copy of your LTC instead would work, but you could try emailing them and asking. I got a response back within the same day.

ETA: The person I had gotten in touch with was Sgt. Bill Gomane: [email protected].

Ssame here

So does ME accept the MA state police certificate that us MA peons need to apply for our MA LTC?
I was told by someone who applied for (and received) their ME non-resident permit to carry that the certificate they sent in was the MA State Police Certificate. They received a ME non-resident permit to carry so at least it worked for them—assuming they are not BS'ing.

I sent mine in this past fall and included the MA state police certificate along with 5 certificates I received within the past 10 months from taking courses at the Sig Sauer Academy. I figured I wasn't going to chance it with only the MA state police certificate. I received my ME non-resident permit to carry, so I guess one of the certificates met the requirements : )

Best of luck…

I just went through my first renewal with Maine this year (expired in 2013) and they accepted my MSP course certificate as well. Took quite a long time however.

I just went through my first renewal with Maine this year (expired in 2013) and they accepted my MSP course certificate as well. Took quite a long time however.

Why? Do they require a certificate each time you renew? I'm a few years away from that point, so no experience on ME renewals yet.

-------------

It appears that ME isn't picky like some states, that they merely require some training of any sort.

As an NRA Instructor I called them and asked what I needed to do (as I hadn't taken a student course within 5 years) and they just wanted a copy of my NRA Instructor certificate. They were very polite and helpful on the phone.

Just spent some quality time on the State's site. If you let your permit lapse for more than 6 months you have to reapply as if new. But if it is just a normal renewal I don;t think you need to send the training certificate again. It is worth a call to them though.

so if its been 6 years since I took my NRA course for my MA LTC, I have to take a new course to apply for my non resident Maine permit?

booo

Back
Top Bottom