SAS style head shot vs. Mozambique Drill

I noticed in several videos, and presentations by former SAS members that they often use a double tap to the head first. Given the fact that head is easy target to miss under stress and while it's moving, I wonder what do you guys think about this? I personally in my training combine MD + shoot till the target falls. I always do double tap to the heart area + head shot between eyes, then 5 quick shots spread in the chest and abdomen area. I'd like to hear opinions on double tap to the head first, and what are your experiences in shooting head size targets under stress.

Cheers

I'm more of the centermass, shoot until a visual confirmation of the threat being stopped kind of guy. If a guy is good enough to hold two he's good enough to hold thirteen.

OK. I was before thinking along those lines. However, I've seen video where guys get shot at point blank wearing soft-body armor and it had no effect on them. These guys were doing testings. Now imagine you shoot someone wearing body armor and he's full of adrenaline. So you keep shooting center mass and he shoots back. At average real life scenario shooting, distances are under 10 ft which means that your opponent can close the distance in a second and stab you, or he can pull out he's gun and shoot. On the other hand average Joe can have big trouble hitting head under stress due to lack of practice. Hehehe. Let the brainstorming begin. [smile]

Police these days train in "failure drills" where you shoot center mass and then only go for head shots if the target is still a threat. I guess the assumption is that if the guy has taken 3-5 shots center mass and is still standing, then he is wearing body armor. Headshots are always ideal for stopping a threat, but the difficulty of hitting the head of a moving target under stress, make it undesirable compared to center mass shots. You also have to consider where your missed shots are going if you are shooting around bystanders.

ETA: There are a lot of "experts" out there that teach different techniques. Most of them have some value, but the center mass shot followed by headshots in the event of body armor are the standard most places. Stick to what works and don't worry too much about the new training fads that come around.

Last edited:
Police these days train in "failure drills" where you shoot center mass and then only go for head shots if the target is still a threat. I guess the assumption is that if the guy has taken 3-5 shots center mass and is still standing, then he is wearing body armor. Headshots are always ideal for stopping a threat, but the difficulty of hitting the head of a moving target under stress, make it undesirable compared to center mass shots. You also have to consider where your missed shots are going if you are shooting around bystanders.

ETA: There are a lot of "experts" out there that teach different techniques. Most of them have some value, but the center mass shot followed by headshots in the event of body armor are the standard most places. Stick to what works and don't worry too much about the new training fads that come around.

I was more referring to classical CQB scenario, where opponent is so close (10ft or less) that you don't have time for 3-5 shots cause he's gonna close the distance. At that range hitting head becomes option. I never thought along these lines before until i first found out about this SAS technique. To me classic mozambique drill was always way to go. But as of recently I'm reconsidering it. I do force on force scenario with some friends from the club. They put the mask on and pretend to attack from close distance, and I try to go for double tap to the head followed by center mass shots. It usually works fine, especially when I have space to move, otherwise it often comes down to hand-to-hand combat.

Old school, ya wanna talk old school? I've got a college diploma with the words "Soviet and East Bloc Studies" on it and even I stopped talking like that.

Funny, before the Berlin wall came down the business I worked for usually refered to that part of the as the CommieCon sales area

Problema:

*SAS* vs us guys here on NES.

They're among the world's elite military special forces and have near unlimited ammo budget/training time, great instructors, and are far less likley to be affected by the stress of the sitaution.

We, on the other hand, are a bunch of guys with regular jobs who shoot when we can as time/budget allows but not as mauch as we'd like to, occaionally have access to good training as time/budget allow, and most of whom have not seen combat or had extensive training to tone down our shaky hand response to a stressful situation.

My point is - if you're a Navy SEAL or SAS, sure - go for head shots. For the vast majority of the rest of us, CENTER MASS period. At least your first shots, certainly.

I always do double tap to the heart area + head shot between eyes, then 5 quick shots spread in the chest and abdomen area.

That's a lot of shootin'. [thinking]
GunControl2.jpg

the underlying question is... what would protocol be if the perp is wearing a tactical kevlar shemagh?

If the perp doesn't fall after 2 CM shots, rather than go for the head, I'm gonna put a few in his belt buckle. Better chance of effective hits below the body armor than above.

Problema:

*SAS* vs us guys here on NES.

They're among the world's elite military special forces and have near unlimited ammo budget/training time, great instructors, and are far less likley to be affected by the stress of the sitaution.

We, on the other hand, are a bunch of guys with regular jobs who shoot when we can as time/budget allows but not as mauch as we'd like to, occaionally have access to good training as time/budget allow, and most of whom have not seen combat or had extensive training to tone down our shaky hand response to a stressful situation.

My point is - if you're a Navy SEAL or SAS, sure - go for head shots. For the vast majority of the rest of us, CENTER MASS period. At least your first magazine, certainly.

FIFY

I was more referring to classical CQB scenario, where opponent is so close (10ft or less) that you don't have time for 3-5 shots cause he's gonna close the distance. At that range hitting head becomes option. I never thought along these lines before until i first found out about this SAS technique. To me classic mozambique drill was always way to go. But as of recently I'm reconsidering it. I do force on force scenario with some friends from the club. They put the mask on and pretend to attack from close distance, and I try to go for double tap to the head followed by center mass shots. It usually works fine, especially when I have space to move, otherwise it often comes down to hand-to-hand combat.

The classics work for a reason. In CQB with a threat moving in, you're not going to have time for aim-shooting. You're going to point-shoot from the hip for CM all the while punching out the firearm to transition to aim-shots while running a vertical track until you stop the threat. If he's wearing body armor, you're gonna hit flesh eventually. With training, you'd be surprised how many rounds you can get off with this method.
If you already have the firearm in a low ready, or at muscle relaxed center-chest position, you'll again get a round or two off w/o aiming and transition to aiming.
Either way, CM is the easiest to hit...so you gotta go with the easy shots first.

We can't assume everyone is wearing kevlar...we just have to know what to do if they are.

Edit:
You have to remember, even civilians are responsible for every shot. Don't think that if you saved the day by taking out the BG and a 'flyer' happens to hit little suzie shortcake you wouldn't be getting a lawsuit both criminally and civilly. We have to be ever mindful of our shot placement AND backdrop. That's why training is so important.
Ok, end rant/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom