• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SAS glock fails, bludgeons Taliban to death with a hammer

The media has been known to make mistakes especially when it comes to rifles and handguns so there is a good chance this SAS guy might not have actually had a Glock lol

The fake news calls everything a Glock, especially the assault glocks in the states. SAS do actually carry Glocks for the most part.

Lol IIRC there’s at least one british story involving a BHP that f***ed up, too. Guns are not infallible. Maybe he should have had an MR73....
Haven’t heard of an MR 73 fail since they got adopted in ‘74, so, it wouldn’t even be a bad choice. I know I’d own one if it wasn’t for the $3300 price tag.

I'd like to know what the failure actually was.
It was dark, looks like he couldn't see.
How the f are you supposed to fix it?
Make all kinds of noise and give up your location?
In a cave? a pebble could have fell in there and jammed it.
If it was a 1911 the dust in the air alone would have caused it to fail.
Not a glock fanboy, but come on, man.... One guys glock fails=all glocks suck.
We would have heard the same if it was a sig or
Wow. your post is full of fail.
1. In Boot camp, we were trained to field strip the 1911, blind folded, so as to be able to remedy a possible failure, in the dark.
2. If there's room to swing a hammer, theres room to clear a malfunction, but with the bad guy in your face, it's pretty hard to ask the guy you're trying to wack, for a time out, to clear your glock.
3. How can he give his position away, when he's already spotted the bad guy and is trying to eliminate him. They can see each other. It's a tunnel, not a underground subway, with objects to hide behind.
4. If you knew anything about the 1911's history, you'd know that the 1911, was used, with ongoing success, by our Tunnel Rats, to clear NVA and VC tunnels, throughout the 15 year Vietnam conflict. Marine Corps Rats carried a flashlight, a K-Bar and a 1911. My 1911 was handed to tunnel rats, on several occasions, for that purpose and never failed to function. Dust in the air, causing 1911 failures. What are you smoking! You ever even been in combat and carried a 1911 into battle? Life from the cheap seats, is full of poor information, as is your post.

1. In Boot camp, we were trained to field strip the 1911, blind folded, so as to be able to remedy a possible failure, in the dark.
2. If there's room to swing a hammer, theres room to clear a malfunction, but with the bad guy in your face, it's pretty hard to ask the guy you're trying to wack, for a time out, to clear your glock.
3. How can he give his position away, when he's already spotted the bad guy and is trying to eliminate him. They can see each other. It's a tunnel, not a underground subway, with objects to hide behind.
4. If you knew anything about the 1911's history, you'd know that the 1911, was used, with ongoing success, by our Tunnel Rats, to clear NVA and VC tunnels, throughout the 15 year Vietnam conflict. Marine Corps Rats carried a flashlight, a K-Bar and a 1911. My 1911 was handed to tunnel rats, on several occasions, for that purpose and never failed to function. Dust in the air, causing 1911 failures. What are you smoking! You ever even been in combat and carried a 1911 into battle? Life from the cheap seats, is full of poor information, as is your post.
Chill... chill.. My boot camp was bad movies and TV. I was actually smoking tunnel dust.
The 1911 part was obviously a joke... threads shitting on glocks usually turns into glock fanboys shitting on the 1911.
Wish I had me some nice 1911's.
The noise part/location I should have elaborated.... "was he sneaking up on them...noise would have alerted them?"
After rereading it... I was more wondering out loud due to my own ignorance and bewilderment at the lack of detail in the story, like you said... if he can swing a hammer, why can't he clear a jam?... Maybe he didn't swing it, maybe he palmed the end of it and jammed the claw into their necks..

Chill... chill.. My boot camp was bad movies and TV. I was actually smoking tunnel dust.
The 1911 part was obviously a joke... threads shitting on glocks usually turns into glock fanboys shitting on the 1911.
Wish I had me some nice 1911's.
The noise part/location I should have elaborated.... "was he sneaking up on them...noise would have alerted them?"
After rereading it... I was more wondering out loud due to my own ignorance and bewilderment at the lack of detail in the story, like you said... if he can swing a hammer, why can't he clear a jam?... Maybe he didn't swing it, maybe he palmed the end of it and jammed the claw into their necks..
Well, I don't poo poo Glocks, or 1911's. I have, trust in and carry both Glocks and 1911's. Like any tool, they can malfunction. Even the head of hammer flies off, once in a while.

Last edited:

The only thing I'd take issue with is those 1911s were probably not built with c***hair tolerances which are generally responsible for their shitty reputation nowadays.

I definitely think you could choke someone out with a Glock slide, or even the frame if you separated the two, but time was of the essence and the “hammer” would work exceptionally well; however, since he emerged covered in blood I think the method of execution was not from bludgeoning but instead the sharp end of the hammer was applied to the carotid to induce asphyxiation/massive blood loss. I’m imagining a rock-climbing hammer or something like that was used by SAS members to traverse the mountainous terrain of the environment, in which case having a small hammer with a sharp point would do an incredible amount of damage and wouldn’t require a large area to wield effectively.

I definitely think you could choke someone out with a Glock slide, or even the frame if you separated the two, but time was of the essence and the “hammer” would work exceptionally well; however, since he emerged covered in blood I think the method of execution was not from bludgeoning but instead the sharp end of the hammer was applied to the carotid to induce asphyxiation/massive blood loss. I’m imagining a rock-climbing hammer or something like that was used by SAS members to traverse the mountainous terrain of the environment, in which case having a small hammer with a sharp point would do an incredible amount of damage and wouldn’t require a large area to wield effectively.
You might be surprised how much blood a hammer can produce when applied to the face, even with the striking face.

But we’re talking about a small compartment in a cave there might not have been standing room to even get enough torque
Body mechanics and repetition my dude. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a crater where his face was.

Edit: realistically, I'm sure it was gruesome and complicated and he simply didn't feel like getting into it, so he just said "I used a hammer"

Last edited:
The only thing I'd take issue with is those 1911s were probably not built with c***hair tolerances which are generally responsible for their shitty reputation nowadays.
Amen to that. John Browning was pretty good at designing and taking all things into consideration. I guess that's why the millitary 1911's ran so reliably. Half of the time they were caked with that red dirt that was like clay and got washed off during river crossings. My dog tags still have that red nam dirt bonded into the back side of the letters and numbers.The fact that they got ball ammo as a steady diet helped too.

Last edited:
P
Body mechanics and repetition my dude. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a crater where his face was.

Edit: realistically, I'm sure it was gruesome and complicated and he simply didn't feel like getting into it, so he just said "I used a hammer"
Probably some jack rabbit strikes from an arched prone position or something. Otherwise it would be hard to imagine how you could gain enough purchase to generate that amount of power in a small crawl space.

P

Probably some jack rabbit strikes from an arched prone position or something. Otherwise it would be hard to imagine how you could gain enough purchase to generate that amount of power in a small crawl space.
There are a lot of assumptions here. Without the info none of us can know. But it's really not that hard to generate force with a hammer, even in a small space.

It's not the tolerances that are most of the problem, it's fitting... well, that, and often times, part quality. And overall quality control.

When you look at cheap 1911s, especially ones that are f***ed up, it doesnt take long before you discover they're not fitted properly.

A lot of the old guns in addition to being a little looser, were fitted by hand, not some munctoid slapping parts together and racking a slide a couple of times and throwing it in a
box, without noticing how crunchy the gun is. [rofl]

If that article's to be believed, it's a claw hammer.

Choke up and punch with it. Aim for the eyes, and take whatever openings you get. You'll probably find yourself shattering fingers along the way...it won't get any prettier.
That makes sense, yeah it was probably quite grizzly.

That makes sense, yeah it was probably quite grizzly.
Like @whacko says, there are reasons the folks with the real stories often avoid telling them.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who are more imaginative than me WRT improvised weapons, unfortunately for some it's because they've had to be.

We can all guess at what this guy had to do; if we ever meet him, let's not be surprised if he politely declines to share.

Like @whacko says, there are reasons the folks with the real stories often avoid telling them.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who are more imaginative than me WRT improvised weapons, unfortunately for some it's because they've had to be.

We can all guess at what this guy had to do; if we ever meet him, let's not be surprised if he politely declines to share.
9obi6phj5p6x.jpg
The ones that don't talk much about the "shit"....know how to take care of shit.

FYI I'm not one of them and don't claim to be. My combat experience is limited to one day out of 2 years deployed to Iraq ....one real shitty hour in fact.....and that was enough. I've gathered my opinion on this from talking with a handful of vets that I know for a fact have seen the elephant....and lots that have not.

Last edited:
The only thing I have to say is that if he had a 1911 he wouldn’t have had to grab a hammer when it failed because he already would have had one in his hand (both literally and figuratively).

@Mesatchornug
This theory of mine is not just limited to "combat" either. My father in law retired as a full colonel from the army. He was a Vietnam vet and he NEVER talked about Vietnam or what he did there. Not even to his wife and kids. They had zero idea other than he was a quartermaster officer and a 1lt back then. All I knew from old pictures of him in uniform was that he was quartermast corps and wore 1st cav on his right shoulder. When he died in 2004 2 generals came to his funeral and talked with his family. They served with him in Vietnam. One asked if we knew what he did back then and my mil said he never once told her anything. He told us he was an officer in charge of a casualty collection point that prepared and inventoried bodies for shipment back to the US. That job fell under the quartermaster corps back then. He did that job for the first cav division for a whole year.

Last edited:
But we’re talking about a small compartment in a cave there might not have been standing room to even get enough torque

This.

I'll admit, it's difficult for me to understand a space large enough to give the SAS guy enough force to deliver lethal hammer blows... yet too small for him to use a bullpup rifle.

The article doesn't mention that his rifle was nonfunctional. It implies he didn't have one at all. I bet this soldier rethinks that next time he heads into a tunnel. And if the initial opening isn't large enough to haul a rifle (which is hard for me to imagine, in a tunnel made for and by jihadis), that's why God made demo charges.

Last edited:
This.

I'll admit, it's difficult for me to understand a space large enough to give the SAS guy enough force to deliver lethal hammer blows... yet too small for him to use a bullpup rifle.

The article doesn't mention that his rifle was nonfunctional. It implies he didn't have one at all. I bet this soldier rethinks that next time he heads into a tunnel. And if the initial opening isn't large enough to haul a rifle (which is hard for me to imagine, in a tunnel made for and by jihadis), that's why God made demo charges.
And flame throwers! Obvious I’m joking since I believe they are not issued anymore or it being practical but it would be nice to flame a cave with dirty jihadis in there.

Back
Top Bottom