• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SAR-2 rebuild

I'm in the process of putting a Romanian SAR-2 back together. This rifle came to me missing the bolt,bolt carrier,recoil assy and top cover. I've tried looking for Romanian replacement parts, but the only parts I can find are Bulgarian. Does anyone know if the parts interchangeable?

I'm in the process of putting a Romanian SAR-2 back together. This rifle came to me missing the bolt,bolt carrier,recoil assy and top cover. I've tried looking for Romanian replacement parts, but the only parts I can find are Bulgarian. Does anyone know if the parts interchangeable?

Romanian parts shouldn't be that difficult to find.

Recoil assembly will fit, top cover will fit, but there might be a small gap here and there (Romanain AKs have stamped receivers. Most... if not all, Bulgarian AKs have milled receivers).

However no matter which bolt and bolt carrier you use (Romanian, Bulgarian, Chinese, etc), it's highly unlikely that it's going to headspace properly (dangerous situation).

Setting the headspace on an AK is not a simple task even with the proper tools. It involves removing the barrel pin and barrel, setting the headspace, redrilling the barrel pin hole and using a larger pin.

I tried K-var, but they were all out of the parts I needed. I did order a Bulgarian recoil spring assy from them though, I was told it should fit a Romanian AK. I got a bolt and carrier from a guy over on ar-15.com, but for some reason the bolt carrier doesn't close completely. There's about a 1/4" gap between the bolt and barrel. Somethings wrong somewhere, this is gonna require further investigation.[thinking]

Just a thought... Depending on how the rifle came when it shipped and was converted to a US legal rifle, some of the parts may have to be US replacement parts, as opposed to the original Romanian parts.

The rifle was originally fitted with US compliance parts, but the previous owner sold off the bolt and carrier and now it's up to me to put it back together again. The bolt carrier works fine without the bolt installed. So, I'm thinking that the bolt is maybe for a 5.56 instead of a 5.45 round. The carrier and top cover have the same s/n's, but the bolt was bought from K-var and not serialized.

Further investigation pending.[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom