• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sanity check

A straw purchase is buying a gun for someone who is not you.

4473 Question 11A:

a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.Exception:If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s)for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.)

the way this is worded is scary because it can so easily be expanded to impose so many more restrictions on gun owners.

Yes, they let her buy it. The whole thing was hilarious. The forms were on a computer. She has never used one and they wouldn't let me operate the mouse for her either. So I had to talk her through how to use the computer and fill out the form.
When my mom uses a mouse she runs out of room. o_O

It seems like it might even vary on which clerk you get. FS had a gun my daughter wanted. I called and had it put on hold. We both went up there. Of course she loved it. She filled out the paperwork. When it came time to pay, I pulled my card out of my wallet. Name of card certainly did not match name on 4473. Sale went through, no problem

I will be down there next weekend and will have a chat with the manager and see what's up.
You don't even know if the clerk accurately repeated the conversation.

He might have told his boss,
"some young guy just tried to buy a handgun
for his father in Massachusetts".

And then the father shows up from Massachusetts to try again?

The smart move is to just buy some damned gun from some other shop.

Never return to the original shop ever,
not even for cleaning patches.
Pretend they were trying to cheat you,
if that's any salve.

None of this matters - I predict two possible outcomes-

70%chance they won’t sell him anything
30% chance the owner/manager suggests a method that breaks up the money flow enough to make it comfortable for them legally.
What if "July is Straw Purchase month" at the ATF,
and they've been telling inquiring FFLs
to call the cops if a "straw" ever returns?

I would find a different LGS, f*ck 'em! There has to be a competitor nearby? Just make sure they don't do the same thing there.
^THIS.

30 years ago I was by myself buying BBs at Kmart and they said my dad had to come into the store, that they couldn't sell them to a kid without a parent there. So I went and got him and they said "No, he has to hand us the money", so I handed my dad the $5 bill and he handed it to the clerk and I left with my carton of BBs. Hope this helps.
Could be worse -
at least the clerk still operated the cash register themselves.
Check out this anecdote.

S&W 6906, what is that a police trade in?

I’d try to talk them into something more modern for their one and only gun. Something like an M&P or a Glock, an H&K, maybe even a Canik for lower cost.

Why? That's a REALLY nice gun. I'd prefer that over a plastic gun most any day.

You don't even know if the clerk accurately repeated the conversation.

He might have told his boss,
"some young guy just tried to buy a handgun
for his father in Massachusetts".

And then the father shows up from Massachusetts to try again?

The smart move is to just buy some damned gun from some other shop.

Never return to the original shop ever,
not even for cleaning patches.
Pretend they were trying to cheat you,
if that's any salve.

What if "July is Straw Purchase month" at the ATF,
and they've been telling inquiring FFLs
to call the cops if a "straw" ever returns?

^THIS.

Could be worse -
at least the clerk still operated the cash register themselves.
Check out this anecdote.

Stepson explained to owner, owner talked with clerk. Owner suggested I come in to talk with clerk and use as a teaching moment.

Stepson explained to owner, owner talked with clerk. Owner suggested I come in to talk with clerk and use as a teaching moment.
Was the owner's speaker phone blinking subtly while he was talking to the owner?
(You know, almost as if ATF was listening in?)

LOL.

OK, that sounds like a happy ending is in store.
(Apologies to Friendly's®).

I guess I do not know what a straw purchase is. If I as a licensed person buys a gun and transfers that gun to another person who can legally own/posess/purchase it how is that a straw purchase?

It is the same freakin thing if I buy a gun today and a year later do a legal transfer to another licensed person or to one who can legally own/posess/purchase.

I was under the impression that a straw purchase was a licensed person or someone who could legally own/posess/purchase a firearm intentionally buying it for someone who was not legally allowed to own/posess/purchase that firearm.

I think this is the actual INTENT of the law... however, as we all know, shitty .gov wording, writing, and implementation leaves a lot open to interpretation

Was the owner's speaker phone blinking subtly while he was talking to the owner?
(You know, almost as if ATF was listening in?)

LOL.

OK, that sounds like a happy ending is in store.
(Apologies to Friendly's®).

Turns out the Clerk is relatively new, and had just did some online "Straw Purchase" training. All a misunderstanding!

Back
Top Bottom