San Luis Obispo Police Chief Loses Her Gun in Public Bathroom

Let's go through everything wrong here:

1. Didn't go through standard procedures
2. Had someone back at the department organize a "task force" if you will to retrieve it from a suspected person on a cell to cell call.
3. The "task force" goes to the location, believes a man who doesn't fit the description of the guy in the photo has the gun, his wife is giving him an alibi as a witness and offers to call the doctor's office to strengthen the alibi, but the detectives don't even bother to do basic policework.
4. Probation search without a warrant. IDK if this is even legal, also we're these people on probation or was this just a false claim to use to get into the house to search it.
5. There was paraphernalia in the parents apparently locked bedroom. Whatever that paraphernalia is, IDK. Could have been smokes and a friggin lighter.
6. Arrested for child neglect after a potentially illegal search of the home for the reason of "messy house." How to cops determine a messy house from an unmessy house? They teaching home economics classes in the academy now?
7. Photos taken of the paraphernalia in the parents bedroom were logged or described as being from "the children's bedroom."

This thing f***ing stinks to high Hell. Where's internal affairs?

Donuts?

4. Probation search without a warrant. IDK if this is even legal, also we're these people on probation or was this just a false claim to use to get into the house to search it.
It is generally a requirement of being on supervised release that they or their residence can be searched at any time.

Context: SLO is a college town. It’s in SLO County, one of the most conservative, working class counties in central CA. A small blue dot in a larger red splotch (in an even larger blue disaster). Many hippies. Much stupid. Very little work for a living. Awesome farmer’s market, though.

18 U.S. Code §  241 Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State,
Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

That is the correct punishment for the Chief, police who conducted the search, and prosecutor for their actions in the search and kidnapping of children that took place.

I’ll keep posting everything open source that I see - but keep your seatbelt fastened on this one, you haven’t seen anything yet!

This is my surprised face.

Anyway, if I ever find a cop gun laying around, it sounds like the safest action is to just leave it there, flee and say nothing.

QFT.

Didn’t help this guy, though. Who wasn’t even there.

Last edited:
I effing hate cops who are corrupt. They keep doubling down on their doubling down! Hey. You screwed up. Apologize profusely, do what you can to get everything back in order for this family, then leave them alone. Why is this so hard for them to understand?

Worse, I can’t imagine what they think the endgame will be. By doubling down, they clearly think everything they did will be backed up by the courts.

Umm, no. When the civil rights injunctions come down, it’ll be from the ninth circuit. Not that that should matter in a case this egregious, but really, what do the PD think is going to happen here?

Senseless.

More evidence supporting what I’ve said for ever, the system as a whole is corrupt. Police, courts, the whole shebang.

You think this would have come to light if the other agencies involved were complicit?

Read the various articles and you can do the math and figure out how this got public.

So, the guy who did it gets nothing.

The guy who didn't do it gets his house ripped apart and his kids taken away.

The CoP, whose fault all this was, gets... a raise?

Sounds about right. [thinking]
Sounds about wrong. Sounds very wrong.

Let me emphasize - this was CITY of SLO, NOT the county of SLO. (City is within the county, but it was the municipal dept, NOT the county agency. I believe one of those articles mentioned some of the county’s quite appropriate actions when they were eventually notified.)

Sounds about wrong. Sounds very wrong.

Let me emphasize - this was CITY of SLO, NOT the county of SLO. (City is within the county, but it was the municipal dept, NOT the county agency. I believe one of those articles mentioned some of the county’s quite appropriate actions when they were eventually notified.)

Sad.

I’m very familiar with the city. I love it. But I’ll remember to keep my eyes away from the toilet paper when I pee at restaurants there.

Not that that helped the other guy.

Sad.

I’m very familiar with the city. I love it. But I’ll remember to keep my eyes away from the toilet paper when I pee at restaurants there.

Not that that helped the other guy.

I'm now wondering what the correct protocol would be if I go into a public restroom to take a dump, and discover a gun left there.

Taking the gun so I can bring it somewhere and report it found, or to find its owner, or whatever... obviously bad because the mere seconds I was in possession of it could be enough to claim that I appropriated it for myself and wasn't actually trying to give it back.

But, if I leave it there, someone could find a security video of me leaving the restroom and assume I took it, and then get my life ruined because of that.

I'm thinking now the best course of action would be to bring immediate and severe attention to the issue, so that no one can claim I tried to take it. I suggest bursting out of the restroom doors screaming as loud as you can "OMG!!! There's a gun!!! A gun!!!! Everyone there's a gun!!!!" then run out the entrance and don't stop running. This one worries me a bit too, and I'm sure the police are going to find out who I am and pay me a visit, but at least no one will claim I took it.

I'm now wondering what the correct protocol would be if I go into a public restroom to take a dump, and discover a gun left there.

Taking the gun so I can bring it somewhere and report it found, or to find its owner, or whatever... obviously bad because the mere seconds I was in possession of it could be enough to claim that I appropriated it for myself and wasn't actually trying to give it back.

But, if I leave it there, someone could find a security video of me leaving the restroom and assume I took it, and then get my life ruined because of that.

I'm thinking now the best course of action would be to bring immediate and severe attention to the issue, so that no one can claim I tried to take it. I suggest bursting out of the restroom doors screaming as loud as you can "OMG!!! There's a gun!!! A gun!!!! Everyone there's a gun!!!!" then run out the entrance and don't stop running. This one worries me a bit too, and I'm sure the police are going to find out who I am and pay me a visit, but at least no one will claim I took it.

EDDIE EAGLE FAILURE HERE. [laugh]

Stop
Don't touch
Run away
Tell an adult

Back
Top Bottom