San Francisco - Smelly Sanctuary City

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I visited SF about 10 years ago. Although it was just starting to get bad, I still considered it the most beautiful city in the world.
I have a relative who lives there and I can stay for free on vacation.
I don't even want to visit now.
By all accounts its a shit hole.

I can easily have more fun in Boston or NYC without the smell.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Last week:

San Francisco's 'Dirty Streets' Scare Off Long-time Convention with 15,000 attendees
A major medical association has decided to plan its convention elsewhere, leaving San Francisco with a $40 million loss and the fear other groups could do the same

Blackmore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I was lucky. Ticked it off the bucket list in 1997.

It's another reason to put up with New England winters. It keeps the bum population lower than in warmer climes.

The street crime is bad, another side-effect of the Sanctuary they don't want tourists to know about.
I read somewhere that the streets are littered with broken glass from all the parked car smash and grab break-ins. So common the pedestrians just keep on walking when one is occuring. Cops no longer respond for them - considered too minor. If you need a police report for your insurance you have to go to a police station.

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Last week:

San Francisco's 'Dirty Streets' Scare Off Long-time Convention with 15,000 attendees
A major medical association has decided to plan its convention elsewhere, leaving San Francisco with a $40 million loss and the fear other groups could do the same

Pretty sure the head of that convention was Dr. Richard Harpo Thorndyke. He's had a lot of bad SF experiences. (See: High Anxiety, 1977)

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone remember when the moonbats actually expended time and effort to fight against pollution ???
On November's ballot in Connecticut will be a referendum question for an amendment to the state constitution requiring a public hearing before the conveyance of state lands to non-state entities, and in certain cases a 2/3 supermajority in the General Assembly. Why? Legislative shenanigans in the form of last-minute amendments to bills being snuck through, without much in the way of examination, much less debate. It has broad bipartisan support: passed unanimously in the state senate, and by a vote of 118-32 in the house.

I looked at the roll call: the nay votes came principally (though not entirely: 23 of 'em) from Democrats in urban districts.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
oh what the hell. My family is going there in August (San Fran, LA, San Diego) for a couple weeks. I got talked in to going along with my sister-inlaw's family. I didn't sign up for this sh*t. Pun intended.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last week:

Although I empathize, NO article I could (using a pretty trivial search) identified the particular medical convention.

Without at least a couple more details I'm leaving this one in "Urban Legends".

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
San Fran is gorgeous... and nasty as f***. It was 4 years ago when we were there, I can only imagine now. Whole place smells like piss.

Mike
I worked in Boston most of the 90's then west of 95 for a good chunk of time and then back in Boston maybe 5 or 6 years ago. The first day I stepped off the train after being away from the city for years, was like stepping into one of those porta potties.

Now, after being "in town" for several years again, I don't smell it anymore.

Suffice to say, in the same way the cat lady doesn't notice the aroma in her house, if you work in Boston, you no longer notice the smell of piss and shit. At least in that locale and to the degree that it does exist. You just got used to it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I worked in Boston most of the 90's then west of 95 for a good chunk of time and then back in Boston maybe 5 or 6 years ago. The first day I stepped off the train after being away from the city for years, was like stepping into one of those porta potties.

Now, after being "in town" for several years again, I don't smell it anymore.

Suffice to say, in the same way the cat lady doesn't notice the aroma in her house, if you work in Boston, you no longer notice the smell of piss and shit. At least in that locale and to the degree that it does exist. You just got used to it.
It depends where in Boston. Train stations are a hotbed for bums so yes, they stink. But seeing homeless all over the place is much more common in San Fran or San Diego than it is in Boston. Warm weather areas will always see more homeless, they either die outside or relocate if they are from the northeast. Go to Honolulu, blocks of bums sunbathing on the sidewalk in non resort areas too.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Absent being responsible for others (which obviously changes things), I always figured if I ever became homeless, I'd just find an unused corner of a national park, build a cabin and spend my days hunting and fishing.

Since people DO depend on me, I guess I'd have to resort to robbing banks or something if it came to that.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
#FAKENEWS complete fugazi guy wasn't even Native American but probably more than Pocahontas and blacker than Rachel Dolazel.
I knew that, but I was referring to the environmentalists anti-pollution activism of the 60's & 70's, you don't hear about it anymore, the leftists gave up on it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew that, but I was referring to the environmentalists anti-pollution activism of the 60's & 70's, you don't hear about it anymore, the leftists gave up on it.
True, that's because they suffer from liberalism, you know it has only one cure.

OCB

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My wife and I were there for a night a couple of weeks ago - we drove in to the city to fly out the next morning. We decided to walk from our hotel to the restaurant, which took us through what I later learned is the "tenderloin" district - an area with a high concentration of homeless. For a good three blocks we couldn't escape the smell of piss. Fortunately we didn't have to dodge any piles of crap.

Top Bottom