Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop comes to aid of woman being attacked

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
You KNOW that this Bishop would be arrested if this happened here in Marxachusetts instead of in Salt Lake City. After all, "we discourage self-help" here.

A Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop helped a neighbor woman escape a Tuesday morning attack by a man who had been stalking her.
Kent Hendrix woke up Tuesday to his teenage son pounding on his bedroom door and telling him somebody was being mugged in front of their house. The 47-year-old father of six rushed out the door and grabbed the weapon closest to him -- a 29-inch high carbon steel Samurai sword.

Hendrix, a bishop in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said it was the first time in 30 years of practicing martial arts that he's used the sword. He didn't swing it at the man, only showing him he had it.

He came upon what he describes as a melee between a woman and a man. His son stayed inside to call 911 while he approached the man along with other neighbors who came to help. The martial arts instructor didn't hesitate in drawing the sword and yelling at him to get on the ground.

Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop comes to aid of woman being attacked | Fox News

"Some people have bats they go to," said Hendrix. "I have my sword."

I would love to have this guy as a neighbor, also good to see the other neighbors came out to help instead of sheepishly looking on from their windows.

"Some people have bats they go to," said Hendrix. "I have my sword."

I would love to have this guy as a neighbor, also good to see the other neighbors came out to help instead of sheepishly looking on from their windows.

Sheep follow the leader. If he didn't go out, there was a good chance no one would have helped. Good for the Bishop for having some balls.

A particular scene from Indiana Jones comes to mind.

as awesome as it was, the bad guy could have had a gun and ended it pretty tragically ... unless the bishop could use that katana like a jedi to deflect bullets ... now that would be EPIC!

Great story... but goes to show you how good of a person he is for not thinking about the guy having a gun...

as awesome as it was, the bad guy could have had a gun and ended it pretty tragically ... unless the bishop could use that katana like a jedi to deflect bullets ... now that would be EPIC!

I'd think it takes someone with a LOT of balls to stand his ground when someone is coming out them with a two & a half foot long razor blade - which is exactly what a katana IS - and from the story, the stalker wasn't such a person. Sounds more like a weasel who would run when confronted, which is exactly what happened.

And kudos to the bishop for not even hesitating or worrying about if the guy was armed; sounds like HE was the one with balls in this confrontation!

It bothers me they had to add "high carbon" to the description of the sword as if it makes it more deadly......

It was probably written by someone who knows the difference between a REAL sword and the dull butter-knives sold by BudK.

Back
Top Bottom