1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S10+ (and Otterbox) sucks (but not as much as before)!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Prepper, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Can someone explain to me why these phones are so popular? Last weekend, I finally "upgraded" from a Moto Z2 to the Samsung S10+. After LOTS of annoying configurations trying to get it to work the way it should right out of the box, I am still stuck on several important things that just don't work right.

The first is that I never hear notifications, unless the notification is spam coming from Bixby or Google. If it's Signal, ProtonMail, Gmail, FB Messenger, WeatherBug, etc. nothing. Silence. Sometimes it will randomly vibrate, sometimes not. But, the vibration is very faint so that does me little good. I did plenty of searches, all useless. Tons of people report such issues, but nothing they recommend helps... reboot, clear cache, turn off adaptive battery, turn off that app going to sleep thing, make sure you actually have notifications on in both the phone and each app, make sure your notification sound is a real sound and not set to "silent", etc. Absolutely nothing. Not a single app I actually want has made a peep since I got it last weekend. The rare beep I hear, I'm excited and go check only to find its one of the built-in spam apps saying something like "Here's how to do such and such with this feature we're sure you don't want but we'll keep annoying you anyway with it and not pay attention to you when you disable this notification".

Next is this "always on display". Mine's set for the default of 10 seconds. If I tap the screen, it comes on for 10 seconds. It is so dim it is utterly unreadable. Can't read it at night, in day, or in bright sunlight... all conditions, unreadable. I can tell there are some dim fuzzy icons, text, and a clock there... but that's it. The AOD does not pay attention to brightness setting of the phone in general, so putting that at maximum does no good. AOD does not have its own brightness settings. Everyone online for years have complained about this feature, but no useful replies have I seen. By comparison, my Z2 has a really great display that can be seen when the phone isn't unlocked. I wave my hand over it, and I can see all the notification icons on it... it's great!

Oh, and the battery sucks and takes forever to charge. I get out of my car where it was charging at the start of the work day, and when its time to go home it is already below 50%. And 3 hour charge time on a charger that has turbo charge.

I'm returning this POS tonight unless someone knows how to fix the notifications. It's kind of useless and will cause marital strife if I'm ignoring my wife because I don't know she sent something.

2. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

I'm not particularly fond of mine either. This will be my last Samsung phone. I hate how they did away with the notification LED. I hate that the Bixby button can not be reassigned to launch something else. I hate that I can't turn notifications off for certain things or get them to only notify me under certain circumstances, etc...

S8+ never has these issues. Frustration factor is high with this phone - and I work in IT and have decades of experience. Pont being - I'm not an idiot. This phone just isn't good.

Prepper likes this.
  3. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Thank you for this review. I'm in the market for a new phone soon.

Prepper likes this.
  4. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Yes, thank you for the review as I was about to pull the trigger on the S10 because I am getting sick of the Apple bullshit.

Prepper likes this.
  5. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

This is why I still carry a Samsung G3. I need to upgrade and have no clue what to do. Not huge into electronics.

Prepper likes this.
  6. arsco

arsco NES Member

Still on a s6. Maybe I won't upgrade

whatluck and Prepper like this.
  7. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I do miss that notification LED. My Z2 has an LED BUT the idiots at Motorola decided to not use it. But, my phone before that did have that feature and I loved it. It would regularly blink when any notification was pending.

I did solve that Bixby thing. The Bixby Home page can be removed, and the button can be switched to activate Bixby with 2 presses, leaving 1 press to do a "command". But, I couldn't get a useful command... I wanted to toggle flashlight, but the stupid thing only turns ON the flashlight... won't turn it back off again. Idiots. Oh, and I miss my chop-chop gesture I can do with my old phone to toggle the flashlight.

Yup, like you I'm very well familiar with all sorts of phones and technology... been using smart phones and tablets since 2010, even know how to write an Android app. I'm positive I'm not just being an idiot... this phone sucks.

8. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Note 9 here. LOVE IT. Once you go Note, you don't go back.

Should I not switch to the Note 10 when it comes out?

Maybe I will buy another new Note 9 cheap and keep it in the box for another year. Then switch to that one.

I feel like the phone has enough functionality that upgrading to a new one is almost useless (unless the battery starts s*cking).

Glockster30 likes this.
  9. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

My wife got an iPhone XR a few months back, with her insisting she really really wanted one (although she didn't know why, other than all her friends have one). I gave in and got her one. It's actually not half bad, very little flaky about it. I wouldn't want it for myself though because the screen and text is smaller... I have trouble seeing it.

10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I didn't realize that was possible to still be at a G3.

11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

They do look nice, although expensive... but they are also Samsung. I have no idea if the S10's issues carry over to the Note.

12. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

I am so phone/internet/social media ignorant I come to NES to learn. I've got accounts, they sit blank.

13. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

I'm only on Note 4, but I love the phone...afraid to give it up.

14. Broccoli Iglesias

They are expensive. I pay something like $25/month through Verizon. I can keep it for 2 years and own it or exchange it at the one year mark.

15. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

I sold my S9+ and went back to Apple. Xs Max and haven’t felt bad about it.
    I really wanted to like the S9+ but the screen after a year on auto brightness and keeping it below the red part of the bar, still had burn in from Firefox’s address bar. Unreal.
    Between that and having no ability to get comfortable with the OS I gave up on it. I do miss the camera for low light pictures, that thing was the f***ing balls.

16. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I have a Pixel 2 right now. I've had it since it came out, but I have burn in on the top and bottom bars of the screen. The charger cord no longer stays in the USB C slot, and I broke the glass around the back camera. Performance is still fantastic, the pictures are second to none honestly. But the charging is pissing me off. No matter how I clean it.

17. peterk123

peterk123

S9Plus user here. All I care about is sound quality when on the phone and a decent camera. Both are incredible. I have every notice shut off. My phone rings, that's it. Absolutely hate notifications. Heck, my phone would be dinging or flashing every second. I go through great pains to shut everything down whenever I switch phones. Never really understood why people want notifications on for everything. It is not like we are not looking at our phones every two minutes anyway.

I shut down Bixby completely through settings, as well as uninstalled a bunch of apps that I had no idea what they were. Location settings is also always off unless I manually put it on for GPS purposes. Honestly, I think these things have become down right invasive. I would have a simple flip phone if I did not need this thing for my business.

DarthRevan likes this.
  18. Broccoli Iglesias

Same here on Bixby and notifications. Even text messages and WhatsApp are muted.

I don't need notifications on news and weather.
    I dont need my phone to vibrate with every Email. I will see it when I open my phone.

19. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I primarily want the notifications for IM's, the key word in the acronym IM being I for Instant. So, if it doesn't notify me, it isn't very "instant".

I also find it useful for emails, but only if I stay on top of unsubscribing from the tons of spam I keep automatically getting.

The weather notifications USED TO be useful until they decided to:
    - Notify me with an alert every time the pollen is high.
    - Notify me when the water at the beach is cold and I could die if I go in it.
    - Notify me that it is warm today.
    - Notify me that it is cold today.
    - Notify me that I may not like the air if I have breathing problems (I don't).
    - Notify me of all these things at every location I have set in the app, including the "roaming" one that follows me around when I'm driving and keeps notifying me again and again every time I cross over to a different area.
    Oh, and all with no way to say which weather alerts I really want... it's an all or nothing deal. Idiots.

20. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Anyway, I'll return it tonight, and I guess switch back to my Z2 Force for now. But, now I have to figure out what to replace it with again. The Z4 is available but is actually considered a downgrade from the Z2 Force so that's pointless. The battery in my 2 year old Z2 still works pretty well so I guess I can stick with it, screen burn-in and all.

21. Duxprep

Duxprep NES Member

Going from straight Android to Samsungified Android...no thanks. Many love it, but not me. That's why I went from Moto to Pixel. I love the Pixel, best phone I've owned and is maintained/updated regularly by Google. I should state I'm using a Pixel 2XL. Not sure how the 3 is, and the 4 will be out in the fall

Prepper and CoastieRon like this.
  22. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

I'm thinking iPhone for my next phone... Apple does some dumb shit too but I do like how they handle privacy. These android phones are glorified spy devices for Google.

DarthRevan likes this.
  23. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Another reason I didn’t care for android. Requiring a Gmail account to even use the device....

24. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

You have a broken phone, not returning it would be a bad move...

-Mike

25. drgrant

That's half the point of the thing. So when you upgrade phones your numbers and shit just move to the new device, done. Apple does the same shit more or less too with AppleID which is even more headaches.

I still hate all of these f***ing things. I'm pissed that BlackBerry didn't mature into its own modern platform, all they needed was a web browser that wasn't
    shit and I'd still be using one.

-Mike

gscott and Dip Dungles like this.
  26. drgrant

I would just run it until it impedes useability or theres some bug/glitching that's horrendous. I'm of the mind that getting the longest duration out of these
    things makes you get ripped off less vs time. [laugh]

-Mike

SERE and Prepper like this.
  27. 180 GRAIN FMJ

180 GRAIN FMJ NES Member

True, but Apple makes you use an iTunes account to install free apps, which comes with all the BS that is associated with that...such as "verify your account info/enter your iTunes password" every time you install some crappy app.

28. doctorbossman

doctorbossman NES Member

Sounds like OP got a lemon or a global notification setting is awry. I'm having none of those issues.
    So far I'm loving my S10.
    As far as the missing LED notifications, there are a number of apps that use the pixels around the front camera hole as notifications
    Try out the app "LED me know"
    upload_2019-7-18_11-38-31.png

29. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

Well in order for Google to be able to spy on you - they have to tie the spying to something that is a convenience so that you want it. Hence the GMail requirement. Now they get to tie all of your web surfing, travel and location, app usage, etc to you specifically. They even record you talking so they can make the "okay google" and the personal assistant more effective.... Or so they say. You can go and listen to what your phone recorded. My phone had recorded stuff without my initiating anything. That's some first-class BS right there.
    Manage Google Voice & Audio Activity - Computer - Google Search Help
    But because they make it easier to move between phones, install all your same apps, etc. people accept the spying in exchange for that convenience.

30. drgrant

Apple killed off the home button (and I find all this touch swipe gesture etc BS to be clunky as hell, using a newer iPhone is like sawing logs in an ashtray) and the iTunes and AppleID mess stuff will make you want to shoot the thing. I agree that Apple excels at two things, better intrinsic security (if it makes the feds upset, it must
    be at least halfway decent) and coherency. At least there aren't like 5 different UIs you can get. The camera stuff is nearly always better, too, not so much in
    specifications, but in actual use. The hardware isn't "super good" but it's better than the bottom 90% of android devices (most cheap androids are gutter trash). Problem is they still put a battery that's too f***ing small in the device.

I hate these things its like choosing between turds and frosted turds. Expensive turds, at that.

-Mike

Prepper likes this.