• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sample letters that worked

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
It seems that new people applying for or renewing their MA LTC often ask for sample "letters to the chief" to help get them started. I thought that maybe a "sample letters that worked" thread might be a good idea.

To start, here's a sample based on the letter that I used and that worked for me. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Void where prohibited. Your mileage may vary. [rolleyes]

Dear Chief CHIEFNAME,

I am requesting an unrestricted class A license to carry because I have good reason to fear injury to my person or property as per Chapter 140, Section 131 of the General Laws of Massachusetts. My reasons include [list some reasons here, for example working late nights in bad areas, carrying lots of cash for deposits or whatever, examples of recent crimes in your area, etc.]

Before moving to YOURTOWN I [list any experience you had before you moved to YOURTOWN. For me it was easy because I was a Marine for 5 years and fired everything from 9mm to anti-aircraft missiles. For you it might be hunting trips, training in the Scouts, whatever.]

Since moving to YOURTOWN in DATE [talk about community involvement. Try to show how you have "roots" in the town and care about the community. Volunteer work, any kids in school, etc. Mention that you've never gotten into any trouble and have always obeyed and respected the law and the police officers in your town. Basically try to show why you won't be a flake that might embarrass the chief.]

I feel that the training I received while [quickly summarize your training and experience,] in addition to the required basic safety course that I took at LOCATION on DATE has provided me with the basic skills required to be safe. I also plan to take additional training at [talk about any other training you plan on attending.] I also intend to join [local gun club] so that I can practice on the range to keep my skills up.

In closing, I feel that [summary of why you're such a great person, honorable discharge, lack of criminal record, 25 years as a choir boy, etc.] serves as testament to my good character and responsibility. I take gun ownership very seriously and will of course only use one in a defensive situation if it is the absolute last resort. Accordingly I hope that you will see fit to grant me a class A license to carry with no restrictions.

Respectfully,

Mr. John M Browning

Keep in mind that this is just a sample. You should not just use this as a form letter - make sure you customize it to fit your specific situation. Also I highly recommend finding a good lawyer (I am not a lawyer) who specializes in gun laws to read your letter before you submit it. There are several that post on this forum.

Last edited:
If you have a business reason, that would be the first item to discuss in the letter. Having to carry large quantities of cash, either for payroll, purchasing materials or items, etc., any previous trouble--especially in the contex of your business needs, etc. Example, in the course of your business you go to a lot of flea markets, used tool shows, gun shows, auctions, etc, and need to carry up to X thousand $ on your person while travelling throughout the state.

The foo foo stuff about boyscouts, etc, may make you feel nice. But a lot of chiefs have simple go/no go rules, and you want to tick off one reason he can say yes according to his set of rules.

Scriv's letter is a bit antagonistic. Unless your hoping the COP has an epiphany when reading it.

What is the prevailing wisdom regarding mentioning the Mass Police Chief Association recommendation in the letter? Seems like it may press a button for some chiefs, and you won't know until you press it. My gut tells me to stay away from any language that comes across as lecturing to the Chief. But I could be all wrong hence the question.

I work with someone who's PD told her that she needed a letter from her doctor in order to apply for an LTC. Pure intimidation. [frown]

Scriv's letter is a bit antagonistic. Unless your hoping the COP has an epiphany when reading it.

If that person has a history of mental, drug, or alcohol problems then it could be a legitimate request.

Only if the person has been confined for treatment against their will. Otherwise as a standard of practice it is way out of the scope.

I thought so too. While sciv's is certainly another good example of a "letter that worked," (at least I assume it worked for someone) I personally wanted to tone it down so that I didn't across like I was trying to lecture the chief on the law. My basic goal was just to show that I was a stand-up guy who wouldn't be a dummy that would something to embarrass him.

Anyway - it worked for me in my situation. It would be nice to see some other examples.

Only if the person has been confined for treatment against their will. Otherwise as a standard of practice it is way out of the scope.

There's no such thing as "standard practice" when it comes to the Mass LTC and if you read question 9 on the application you'll see it asks "TREATMENT FOR OR CONFINEMENT FOR".

Back on topic, I would agree that the application letter should be as straight forward and concise as possible. Like it or not you need to justify a need as stated in the MGL http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property

If that person has a history of mental, drug, or alcohol problems then it could be a legitimate request.

It's not a legitimate request as far as the law is concerned.

The law only comes into play if the person has a rap sheet regarding those things.

I won't even get into the fact that such a request violates numerous tenets of doctor-patient privilege- and possibly other medical records laws. So now you have a doctor wedged into an uncomfortable position- Perjure themselves to a LEO (which contextually probably doesn't count legally, but still... ) or compromise their ethics by disclosing patient information to a
third party that clearly is not entitled to know it.

-Mike

Back on topic, I would agree that the application letter should be as straight forward and concise as possible. Like it or not you need to justify a need as stated in the MGL http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Which is why I started with:
I am requesting an unrestricted class A license to carry because I have good reason to fear injury to my person or property as per Chapter 140, Section 131 of the General Laws of Massachusetts. My reasons include [.......]

-Jason

Last edited:
Which is why I started with:
I am requesting an unrestricted class A license to carry because I have good reason to fear injury to my person or property as per Chapter 140, Section 131 of the General Laws of Massachusetts. My reasons include [.......]

-Jason

I wasn't critiquing your form letter--just emphasizing the need.

In regards to the dr's note we'll just have to agree to disagree

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea. When I was working on my LTC application letter, I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread like this. I also agree that there is no single best way to write it, and you have to be careful not to sound like you are lecturing your local police chief. I'm still waiting for my LTC, and although they told me it would be unrestricted, I don't want to jinx it. When I have the actual license in my hands, I'll post my letter here.

-G

Read up on the town your applying in and talk to the PD. Then you will have a better idea of what type of letter you should write.

Back
Top Bottom