Salt turned into bricks - can it be fixed?

Prepper

NES Member
I've been going through my stores and sorting stuff out. I found that I have 4 containers of salt (the standard cylinder shape with the little metal spout that pulls out) that have turned into bricks. Literal bricks. I took a big fixed blade knife and hacked at it, and I can't puncture it other than breaking off a few grains of salt at a time. This is probably due to the basement becoming more humid than it should a couple years ago, although I have since fixed that with a dehumidifier that pumps the water outside and works great.

Anyway, can this be fixed? What happens if I add water and let it try? I realize it is only $4 of salt, but salt should be something that "lasts forever" so I'd hate to toss it. If this were a true SHTF scenario, I would just start licking the salt for electrolytes if I had to.

I'd try peeling off the paper container, putting it in something sturdy and whacking it with a hammer if I was desperate.
Otherwise I'd just go buy more. Probably one of the least expensive prepping problems to have if it's not an emergency

If you can get the cardboard off it it, then put it in the oven on a low heat (250) or so. let it hang out until it's thoroughly dry again.

Then put it in a bag and smack it with a hammer.

I've been going through my stores and sorting stuff out. I found that I have 4 containers of salt (the standard cylinder shape with the little metal spout that pulls out) that have turned into bricks. Literal bricks. I took a big fixed blade knife and hacked at it, and I can't puncture it other than breaking off a few grains of salt at a time. This is probably due to the basement becoming more humid than it should a couple years ago, although I have since fixed that with a dehumidifier that pumps the water outside and works great.

Anyway, can this be fixed? What happens if I add water and let it try? I realize it is only $4 of salt, but salt should be something that "lasts forever" so I'd hate to toss it. If this were a true SHTF scenario, I would just start licking the salt for electrolytes if I had to.

A salt lick is an invaluable way to attract game. Save the bricks for a salt lick, and buy new salt. Make sure you're following proper F&G laws.

LOL thanks guys... I'll see what an oven and hammer can do for it later. If that fails, I'll toss it to the deer. I don't hunt, so it is legal.

Nearly all the food I had in the basement is in things like 5 gallon buckets and #10 cans, other than these salt containers and sugar. Oh, and bags of rice now.

That reminds me, BJ's was out of iodized salt today. They had plenty of that sea salt, and whatever pink salt is.

I don't see a problem here, why does it have to be like in sand like state? It doesn't go bad, when you really need it, it's properties will be the least of your concern.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom