• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Salt bath annealing

View: https://youtu.be/vwdTaDLz56Q

I have never annealed brass before so my knowledge is only from research. Does anyone here have any experience with the above method? It seems to be more consistent than freehand with a drill and a torch. I am not sure how it would compare to something like an Annealeez results wise. I know the Annealeez is somewhat automated, but also more expensive then the setup in this video.

salt baths are used for annealing and tempering. The only draw back is that it's rather slow and low volume process. The plus is that's consistent. I don't believe that you need to be this precise to anneal brass, some variations would work just fine without much difference. Those baths are great for annealing things when you need to hit hardness spot on, not so much for breass, you just want it maleable enough for re forming.

There are doubtless thousand-dollar systems to anneal your brass, but you have to keep it in perspective.
Yes, it hurts (a little bit) to scrap a precious brass case, but most aren't that valuable (iow, not made of Latinum or some other moon mineral). The old drill and torch method may give you a few crushed shoulders due to overdoing it, but do you really need another "professional grade" metalworking station on your bench to add to the complexity?
Unless you're annealing some totally obscure caliber (read that >$2 per case), don't go overboard.
All of the above is submitted by a pauper, so you blessed people: go for it; keep the economy humming along!

I made a homemade annealer for $100. Elfsters reloading on YouTube has the guide. I just need a better ramp other than the cardboard one. Only way I see myself upgrading is one of those induction annealers and even that is probably not gonna happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180224-175050.png
    Screenshot_20180224-175050.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom