Salem Ma PD..... WTF!!!

Anyone know any officers at this PD? Looking for an FA10 and yes I know i can do it all online but call me old fashion cause I like a paper copy lol. Few months back I went in there, asked for an FA10 and the nice lady went right in the cabinet and pulled one out for me. I would have asked for more but the station is right next to my work and it was a painless transaction so I figured I'd just go back if I need another. A month later my friend needs a form so he goes in and they say they never heard of such a form hahaha!! So I went back in and got him one. No problem what so ever. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I need to sell 2 guns so I went back in and they tell me it has to be done online theres no such form available. This was said to me with out even looking for a form. I said okay but I got them here before and they came out of that cabinet ( as I pointed at the cabinet) officer looks in the cabinet and surprise...... There's the FA-10's. He pulled out a stack of probably 50 plus and I took 3 since I have 3 personals left for the year. Messed up on one form but still had two to sell the two guns. Fast forward even more to today I need one last form so I rolled in there and the officer said the same old story. You have to do it online now they don't accept the paper forms....... He then continued to tell me they haven't had those forms in months..... Haha. I said really!? Cause I just got some like 2 weeks ago and there was a stack of at least 50 more. He wasn't even doing anything and he refused to even check to see if he had any. WTF is the big deal with giving out these forms!!! 2 years ago these things were hard to get because of the low availability. after all this he asked why I needed the form (which I already told him) he says he though it was a change of address form. Then tells me it's illegal to sell a gun to another person....... Really dude!!!!???!!! Another guy waiting to get a copy of his PIN even chimed in and tried correcting him. This guy wasn't hearing it. He was a super hero with that badge (no offense to other officers I have full respect for the law) there's was nothing I could say to reason. I bit my tongue before super trooper decided to lock me up, and walked out steamed.

Sorry to bitch I'm just venting.

In Rhode Island, you can apply to the local PD to get your CCW. People have repeatedly gone into RI police stations and asked for the paperwork to be told it does not exist. When I walked into to get my CCW paperwork I had to talk to 3 different people, including a detective, who had no idea what the process was or what paperwork I was talking about. Eventually the Chief walked past the detectives office and they asked him. He knew the process but only because he ultimately had to sign off on it! I hate dealing with dispatchers or anybody who happens to be manning the desk. They have no idea what they are doing but are pretty sure they know it all...

I've been through the same exercise at Salem. Last time i walked out frustrated and called the issuing officer and left a nice but stern voicemail. He called me back almost immediatly and left 10 at the front desk with my name on them.

Chill out, he is supposed to know the process but Surprise!! he is clueless, your tax dollars at work. Like many other things, the licensing is going electronic. Very soon there will be no FA-10s so either bite the bullet and go online (painless by the way) but if you are still sticking to the old rules then get one and make a couple of double sided copies at a copy cop.
With people like those cops it is better to approach them in the down low even though you are right and they are wrong but there is no reason to activate their ego over something that delicate as our guns.

....................He wasn't even doing anything and he refused to even check to see if he had any. WTF is the big deal with giving out these forms!!! 2 years ago these things were hard to get because of the low availability. after all this he asked why I needed the form (which I already told him) he says he though it was a change of address form. Then tells me it's illegal to sell a gun to another person...........

Surprise! A cop doesn't know the laws they uphold. I see this all too often and even more so is they get mad when you explain it to them.

Chill out, he is supposed to know the process but Surprise!! he is clueless, your tax dollars at work. Like many other things, the licensing is going electronic. Very soon there will be no FA-10s so either bite the bullet and go online (painless by the way) but if you are still sticking to the old rules then get one and make a couple of double sided copies at a copy cop.
With people like those cops it is better to approach them in the down low even though you are right and they are wrong but there is no reason to activate their ego over something that delicate as our guns.

Sorry, they don't take photocopies - you need the original numbered forms now.

And No, I will not chill out just because someone shits on your rights today does not give them the right to take a dump on my rights tomorrow.

What's the benefit of the paper copies vs eFA-10? (legit question)

I've done 4 eFA10s and simply print a copy out when done. Kinda curious why some prefer the older method?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I use Linux and have no way of knowing if the system will even work until it fails. If it fails and I have no paper forms do I reject the transfer or hope I can borrow a windows computer to complete within 7 days?

One would need access to a computer and printer to complete a transfer - not always available.

And why should I make infringing on my rights easier for the state?

I've done 4 eFA10s and simply print a copy out when done. Kinda curious why some prefer the older method?

1. Because it's our way of saying "**** you very much" to the state.

2. There are also things like horse-trading where E-FA-10 makes no sense at all. You need the paper for that kind of thing because a decision is often made on the spot to transfer something, and you can't do it ahead of time.

I've used the E-FA-10 system but there is no excuse for the PDs (or CJIS for that matter) not providing these forms. It's stated in the law, hell the law even uses the words IN WRITING in it. [thinking]

-Mike

The only reason that makes any sense would be in the situation where you are in a parking lot trying to complete a transfer, and don't happen to own a portable printer, since it is my understanding that you can't go back in later to print a receipt for yourself, or the other guy, and most people like to have a receipt of some sort.

Terminator03 said:
The only reason that makes any sense would be in the situation where you are in a parking lot trying to complete a transfer, and don't happen to own a portable printer, since it is my understanding that you can't go back in later to print a receipt for yourself, or the other guy, and most people like to have a receipt of some sort.

Or at a gun club. Or at a gun shop who doesn't care to have random people in the back monkeying with the computers/printers. Or, if like one poster, you aren't using the right OS, or the deal is a spur of the moment thing and no one has a printer with them, or when the CHSB system crashes or otherwise goes tango uniform, or in a few years CHSB doesn't update anything and you have to have an ancient OS/program to access it (they did it to the dealers, don't think they won't do it to you!), or if neither the buyer nor the seller wants to put their personal details into the computer if the other (which may be virus laden POS for all you know). I got all of my personal transfers from strangers and there is no freaking way I would go to their house or allow them in mine. Laptops with wifi and portable printers aren't realities for everyone and shouldn't be a prerequisite for civil rights. Yeah, there just no reason why one would want to use a paper form....

I don't know about you, but I don't like doing the state's job for them. If they want to keep a registry of my firearms, they can feel free to pay someone to type or scan the info in by hand. I'm not going to make their illegal records-keeping operation any easier.

i've gone to online because it's easy fast and requires of me nothing.
unlike paper that you need to drive to PD to get, then fill out with no mistakes, then put in in the envelope, then waste a perfectly good stamp on it, then walk 200 feet to a mail box and then walk back. Weather outside usually sucks: either rains, snows,too humid, too hot, too cold.

[wink]

Last edited:

Very much like there are those that prefer an old car vs a new car, because they can.

Next time this happens just explain you were just in two weeks ago and the Sargent gave you one and said they have plenty whenever you need one stop back in and well be glad to give you one, so I'm standing here asking for one.

Or at a gun club. Or at a gun shop who doesn't care to have random people in the back monkeying with the computers/printers. Or, if like one poster, you aren't using the right OS, or the deal is a spur of the moment thing and no one has a printer with them, or when the CHSB system crashes or otherwise goes tango uniform, or in a few years CHSB doesn't update anything and you have to have an ancient OS/program to access it (they did it to the dealers, don't think they won't do it to you!), or if neither the buyer nor the seller wants to put their personal details into the computer if the other (which may be virus laden POS for all you know). I got all of my personal transfers from strangers and there is no freaking way I would go to their house or allow them in mine. Laptops with wifi and portable printers aren't realities for everyone and shouldn't be a prerequisite for civil rights. Yeah, there just no reason why one would want to use a paper form....

Yes, that's exactly what I was pointing out, that not everyone runs around outside of their house with a fully portable, WIFI equipped laptop, with a portable printer. The bottom line is that, like it or not, we will eventually have to abide by the new system if/when they no longer accept the printed forms. I'm sure that it is just another tactic to make FTF transactions that much more difficult, but what other choice do we have if we wish to remain legal? I think you took my last post wrong. I am not "for" the new system at all, but I don't set the rules, so I was simply pointing out the only argument that seemed logical for "not" using the online system.

Wow lots of responses haha. I work late so I'm just getting up to chime back in. To the few who asked, I have a few reasons for wanting paper FA's.

1- cause I can and it is just my preference.

2- tree is no law saying that online is the ONLY way to go.

3-(my most important reason) when I meet up with a stranger that I have absolutely no idea who they are, I really don't want to invite them to my house. I got a 4 and 2 year old running around and when it comes guns I know I'm safe I don't know if these strangers will be. For all I know a person can come check out a "9mm" I'm selling and bring a few loose rounds to hold me up, with my own gun.

4- I like having a paper copy ( an for those who said just print it out......) NO!!!!! I don't want a copy that is made of paper, I want a legit paper copy with signatures!!!! There is a difference.

Honestly, not getting the form kinda sucked but my biggest complaint was the "I'm right cause I have the badge" mentality. I don't expect ever person in this horrible state to understand every gun law, even the cops, but don't act like you know everything. If your behind the desk then your job that day is to help and serve the citizens who walk thru the door. You get paid to merely help people!!!! I'm not asking you to do a full tune up on my car. Atleast respect me enough to ask someone else if you don't know the law, or ask if you don't know where the forms are. But apparently that was asking too much cause he wouldn't leave the door sill he was leaning against with his arms crossed talking out gun law BS to even go look for a form. (which I know for fact was in the file cabinet behind him lmao!!)

It's human nature for the cop to conserve something that's getting scarce, even if there isn't any particular value to him. Who knows, maybe someday the pre-ban FA10 would be worth 20 bucks a piece.

Back
Top Bottom