Sale of firearms purchased in Mass

I moved from Mass to VT during Covid. While a Mass resident, I was an unrestricted LTC holder and owned several firearms purchased in Mass. Now that I am a VT resident I was considering selling some of my guns. My question is whether or not I have any legal obligation to follow any of the Mass laws regarding the private sale of firearms due to the guns all being registered in Mass.

Thanks

Welcome to the active side of NES.

Question: Did you make the required notifications when you departed Mass?

If so, and if you are, as you state, a resident of VT, think for a moment, how could Mass reach back and control what you, a VT resident, do with you legally owned firearms?

Going way out on a limb here but you cannot sell the handguns, presuming you have any, to a Mass resident and use an EFA10 as this would be a federal issue. Otherwise, follow the state laws where you reside and you are good to go

Going way out on a limb here but you cannot sell the handguns, presuming you have any, to a Mass resident and use an EFA10 as this would be a federal issue. Otherwise, follow the state laws where you reside and you are good to go

He can't sell firearms across state borders without going through an FFL.

I don't know the laws of Vt., but to cover my A$$ I would do a transfer through a FFL in Vt., your state of residence, to establish a paper trail to disconnect me from that firearm. Like said above Mass is out of the picture

He can't sell firearms across state borders without going through an FFL.
He didn't say that's what he was looking to do.
He was questioning if the registration of those firearms in Mass could cause trouble to follow him in Vermont.

OP - follow local and federal law and forget Mass even exists.

I moved from Mass to VT during Covid. While a Mass resident, I was an unrestricted LTC holder and owned several firearms purchased in Mass. Now that I am a VT resident I was considering selling some of my guns. My question is whether or not I have any legal obligation to follow any of the Mass laws regarding the private sale of firearms due to the guns all being registered in Mass.

Thanks
You are a Vermont resident in Vermont. Massachusetts law has no jurisdiction.

It is unfortunate that MA has no idea what firearms I have sold at NH FFL's all these years. I try not to loose any sleep over it.

Welcome to the active side of NES.

Question: Did you make the required notifications when you departed Mass?

If so, and if you are, as you state, a resident of VT, think for a moment, how could Mass reach back and control what you, a VT resident, do with you legally owned firearms?
Thanks for the response. I did not make the required notification. I came to VT in March 2020 because I was laid off from work and I wanted to get out of Boston. It was intended to be temporary. Several months went by and in 7/2020 I bought a house and changed my residency. I really never thought about it again until I started to consider selling some of my inventory. It probably makes sense for me to still make the notification. Even 2 1/2 years later, I would think that it would at least, in part cover me legally.

Thanks for the response. I did not make the required notification. I came to VT in March 2020 because I was laid off from work and I wanted to get out of Boston. It was intended to be temporary. Several months went by and in 7/2020 I bought a house and changed my residency. I really never thought about it again until I started to consider selling some of my inventory. It probably makes sense for me to still make the notification. Even 2 1/2 years later, I would think that it would at least, in part cover me legally.

I think I'd get a legal opinion on your last point. I honestly don't know which is better, better late or better never at this point.

Or…very creative for sale post 🤔
Funny. Now that you mention it, I own a pre-2016 AG ban Ruger SR556. I was told at one point by an FFL in Mass that I could still sell this gun in Mass to a private party. If that is an accurate statement, and assuming that is still valid today, I would think that a rifle of this type would be in high demand in Mass and someone would be willing to pay well above market value to obtain it. Any thoughts on this? Any takers?🙂

Funny. Now that you mention it, I own a pre-2016 AG ban Ruger SR556. I was told at one point by an FFL in Mass that I could still sell this gun in Mass to a private party. If that is an accurate statement, and assuming that is still valid today, I would think that a rifle of this type would be in high demand in Mass and someone would be willing to pay well above market value to obtain it. Any thoughts on this? Any takers?🙂
For the record, there is no such thing as a 2016 AG ban. Jack.

Nope - there wasn't a 2016 ban so your SR556 is just like every other ar platform being sold in Mass today. No special premium because of it's age

Also don’t confuse that private sale comment with your residency. You need a dealer to transfer anything to a MA resident now.

Back
Top Bottom