• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sale of a firearm the same as a trade?

jimlp

NES Member
I have reached my 4 sales for the year but have the possibility of a straight trade with another forum member, does the state classify a trade as a sale even though no money traded hands? A grey area perhaps? Thank you in advance for any replies I may receive.

If you look at the top left hand corner of the FA - 10 it requires you to check off Personal transfer . Not sale or trade.

I noticed that. Since a sale and a trade are 2 different things I was not sure if the state classified them differently. A dealer would not be in business long if straight trades were a big part of his business.

Actually the law says "sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer". If you've already "sold" four firearms FTF this calendar year, you'll need to use a FFL.

I noticed that. Since a sale and a trade are 2 different things I was not sure if the state classified them differently. A dealer would not be in business long if straight trades were a big part of his business.

A sale and a trade are not two different things. Both are transfers - neither the feds nor the state care whether they're sold or traded.

A sale and a trade are not two different things. Both are transfers - neither the feds nor the state care whether they're sold or traded.

Beyond this, a "sale" (which is a trade of something for cash) and a "trade" (a trade of something for something else) are essentially the same for most all legal purposes.

Back
Top Bottom