• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SAINT Edge EVAC: First Look at Springfield’s Unique Takedown Pistol

mikeyp

NES Member

1579301173955.png
1579301183614.png

1579301192544.png

It’s been a busy week for Springfield Armory. First came news of the 20+1 and 22+1 Springfield XDM Elite pistol series. Then came the Springfield Ronin 1911. And now we got tipped off of three new defense offerings, one of which is the Springfield SAINT Edge EVAC Pistol seen here. This is a cool one. The takedown AR pistol design includes a discreet carry storage back for the ultimate in disaster preparedness. In short, with the SAINT EVAC Pistol, you’ll be ready for anything.

Springfield SAINT Edge EVAC Details
In case you’re wondering what the other two offerings are, they are the Springfield SAINT Edge PDW and Springfield SAINT Victor Pistol in .308. This is a really solid trio.

The SAINT Edge EVAC includes a patent-pending ratchet barrel takedown system. While full information won’t be available until the official spring launch, we did learn it utilizes a Gear Head Works Tailhook MOD 1 sidefolding brace. A Law Tactical Gen 3-M folder adapter also helps enable extremely compact lengths when folded and taken down.

We can’t even begin to articulate how excited we are over this product. The takedown concept is clearly nothing new, however, it seems most often the concept is applied to rimfires and even lever guns more often than AR-style arms. True enough, the AR design brilliantly already breaks down into two pretty compact halves between the upper and lower receiver groups.

But the Edge EVAC potentially gets smaller than most. With what looks to be a sub-10-inch barrel (again, full details later in 2020), the overall length will be short. However, with a folding brace attached to the lower receiver, now we have the potential for a truly compact AR takedown design.

A lot of speculation here admittedly, but the photos got us pretty excited. We can’t wait to see the full release, and our opportunity to get the new SAINT EVAC Pistol on the range. For more information, visit springfield-armory.com.

That's one weird looking linear comp. Wonder if it actually does anything other than look like a shower head. I do like how the pic rail on top is smoothed out for a C-clamp. Never seen that before.

I wonder how the folder works. Looks to be a gas system not piston, unless I’m missing something. What happens when it’s folded and you pull the trigger???

I wonder how the folder works. Looks to be a gas system not piston, unless I’m missing something. What happens when it’s folded and you pull the trigger???

Yeah, appears to be a standard impingement system. I guess the BCG comes flying out if you pull the trigger when folded?

I built a fixed mag abomination in 300 BLK that has the same folding arm brace / buffer tube but doesn't have that slick detachable barrel. Not lunchbox compact but when folded it's very portable and fits in a typical computer backpack.

Is the Law Folding system. I dont remember if you can fire it once or not.

gimmicky ... what scenario exactly is this for?

the quick change mechanism may be intersting, but this is going to impact accuracy of the attached barrel. For a short range, there are many pistols that can do the job just as well and plenty of stock options, including real stocks that don't require SBRing anything.

A 10" sbr would fit in a small gym bag if you took the upper off the lower.
Neat concept and cool to see what they used and have done with it size wise.

That's one weird looking linear comp. Wonder if it actually does anything other than look like a shower head. I do like how the pic rail on top is smoothed out for a C-clamp. Never seen that before.

It looks like SA's version of the cookie-cutter compensator:

As fugly as those things are, they are supposed to work good and they do get excellent ratings.

Example:

Is the Law Folding system. I dont remember if you can fire it once or not.

I installed a Law Folder on one of my AR pistols about a week ago (on a side note: its an older OA AR15 K-23 Pistol, its one of the early production AR pistols, and was before people even knew that things like an AR15 Pistol were even possible or a firearm concept that was actually useful for "anything").

The LAW system includes an extension "plug" that mounts into the back of your standard BCG (its needed for that space that is created with the Law Folder, that is installed between the BCG and the AR's buffer tube. The tube is screwed into the Law Folder bracket, instead of the receiver).

When its in the folded position, there is small bar (or "gate") that is set by a spring, into the channel of the BCG plug opening. Its sort of like a safety device.
So that small bar (or gate) inhibits the ability of the AR to fire as a semi auto (with that bar in-place, the BCG cannot travel backwards, and then forwards, to strip-off another mag round for the second shot, or for other subsequent shots)

So, in theory, I guess you might be able to fire the first round only, ...... that being said, I am certainly NOT going to test that theory with my Law Folder AR-Pistol.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people doing reviews on youtube who fire it once while folded. It is not recommended by the manufacturer, and could break things if done many times, but it would work at least once in an emergency.

There are plenty of people doing reviews on youtube who fire it once while folded. It is not recommended by the manufacturer, and could break things if done many times, but it would work at least once in an emergency.

Yep, that little bar or "gate" (in the LAW folder) that blocks the BCG from moving backward is pretty small and not that thick (so its not that strong).

Go to the 4:00 mark of this video to see the plug extension + the BCG configuration:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenQXacAXuA

Go to the 4:45 mark on this video to see the small vertical bar "gate" (slightly pointed) that acts as a safety device:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihRxeoumk0&t=4s

Last edited:
But it is from Springfield Armory whom we know we can not trust with our 2A rights

That's hardly unique.... Take a GAU5A and put a Law Tactical folder on it and you've got the same damn thing.

This is like when they released the Saint acting like it's some revolutionary shit when it's just another AR.

Back
Top Bottom