Saiga 12

I'm looking at one of these at my local shop. He has one for $425. Is this a good price? I don't know much about them. Are they reliable? How is the parts availability? Thanks in advance for the input.

So after deciding that I wanted the gun, my dealer has sold it. He tells me that they are on back-order and can take up to 6-8 weeks to get one. I've called every Mass dealer since and no one has them in stock. Boo to Saiga. Maybe I'll invest in another 870.

I wish I could view that link but my work doesn't want me to! It comes up filtered.

here ya' go:

FNM0018m.jpg

The FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun offers the soft recoil and reliability of a gas-operated autoloading action. Standard features include a M1913 rail with precision front and rear ghost ring sighting system. Rear ghost ring sight is removable for the use of optics. Barrel incorporates the Standard Invector™ choke tube system (Cylinder and Improved Cylinder tubes supplied) for accurate performance with rifled slugs when needed. Comes standard with two Active Valve gas pistons (heavy and light loads) for optimum performance in payload delivery. Corrosion resistant finishes includes manganese phosphate on steel components and anodizing on alloy components for added durability. The matte black checkered synthetic stock has a premium recoil pad and steel sling swivel studs installed.

Item Number Caliber/Ga Barrel Length Overall Length Weight Magazine Capacity

3088929010 12 Ga. 18" 38 3/4" 7 lbs. 12 oz. 6 + 1 chamber Standard Invector choke ...

So after deciding that I wanted the gun, my dealer has sold it. He tells me that they are on back-order and can take up to 6-8 weeks to get one. I've called every Mass dealer since and no one has them in stock. Boo to Saiga. Maybe I'll invest in another 870.

Why not an 1100?

I've got a Saiga 12. I ordered it from four seasons and even though they said 4-6 weeks, it came in about three weeks or so. As far as reliability goes... it's an AK straight from Izhmash the original factory. I have put a few hundred rounds through mine and it has never jammed. They are built very rugged.
The only down side is the mags are expensive, about $35-$40.
Good luck on your search!

Hey Boston, what did you pay from them? My local shop has a 6-8 week backorder. Did it come with a regular stock?

I definitely paid more than $425. I will have to check, but I think it was somewhere between $460 and $480. Well worth every penny. The Saiga forum over at saiga12.com has alot of info that is helpful. I also have a .308 saiga as well.
I have a regular stock on my 12 and it came with rifle sights. I was considering the pistol grip conversion, but might wait on that. I have one of these on the way https://www.gilbertsguns.com/index....goryid=525&ck_SID=4640392d4180b65d0e056f27570 for my .308. It should fit the Saiga 12 without any modifications.

I paid $420 for Saiga 12 last spring at M&Ms in Plymouth. I think they're up to $440 now and last time I looked he had one in the rack.

I hate to do it, but I am thinking of selling my Saiga 12 to fund another project. I know I will hate myself later, but I fell inlove with an M1A.
I will try to get it up in the classifieds when I get home tonight.

The latest issue of the "Blue Press" has a model on the cover holding a shotgun that is a clone of the FN. In reality it is a Mossberg with a MSRP of $600; well worth looking into.

PS I have been experimenting with a Lee mold to cast 7/8 oz slugs that use regular shot wads. The test group was 2.5 in for three shots at 25 yds.

PPS The advantage of a shotgun is its excellent point shooting. The Saiga is obviously no trap or skeet gun. How does it handle?

I am not sure if it's because the Saiga is semi-auto or because of the "AK" design, there is very little recoil. I can put 5 slugs inro a water cooler jug rapid fire at 25 yds. I have a mossberg 590 and after a box of 25 shells I am done for the day. With the Saiga it is easy to go through many rounds. The looks I get from other people are priceless.

The Saiga is going to be big in 3-gun in the next couple years. You need a pistol grip conversion to deal with mag changes quickly. There is a significant offset between the bore and your sight because of the gas piston tube in between them so it doesn't point so naturally like a vent rib gun, but is still really fast. There is a magwell in the works that is going to make it even better by eliminating the rock-n-lock mag loading. It will be drop free and straight insert like an AR.

Okay, so now I'm looking into one myself. A shop local to me has them for $399.00 - been thinking of laying one away. I'm fairly mechanically retarded, (but getting there) - is there any mods I can do myself? Thinking about something close to a Tromix, but am unsure of what exactly they do to the gun. Anyone with a Tromox? Is it worth the extra cost?

They make a dragonov style pistol grip butstock you can put on without any modification to the gun. Most people prefer to do the whole "pistol grip conversion" and go all the way.
I have been toying around with selling mine or trading it in towards an M1A. I will have it for another week or so before i get down to the shop. PM me if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom