Saiga 12

Shot my new Saiga 12 shotgun. That is a fun gun to shot. Took a few mags to brake in.
FTF , FTE ? Just wondering what some of the problems you had early on. I heard mag changes are a little tricky , any input? If you dont mind me asking , how much and where did you get it , I am thinking of getting one real soon.Please , PM me the details , thanks

C&F in Middleboro usually has one. I shot one and mag changes where a B**ch. Probably just technique though. Fun gun, but you practically have to plant your orbital sockets/cheek on the sharp transition from stock to receiver to see down those tiny low stock sights, not fun for the recoil event[wink]. Would be great with a red dot!

FTF , FTE ? Just wondering what some of the problems you had early on. I heard mag changes are a little tricky , any input? If you dont mind me asking , how much and where did you get it , I am thinking of getting one real soon.Please , PM me the details , thanks

I know he has great prices on his stuff , I have already contacted him on the saiga and it seemed to be a bit pricey , but maybe thats what they are going for.

It jammed with Wall mart win. bird shot the cases got hung up. It shot wall mart feds nice no jams. The fed hulls are better made the win hulls are not ribbed.I will shot #2's next time. We shot a 125 rounds out of it. They say you shot some mag loads out of it to brake it in. Last two boxes no jams. I am getting front sights and a new rear sight's. Prices are all over the place. I paid $530 for my got the last one. One shop wanted $630 for his.

Mine runs well on the remington and federal bulk packs from wally world. Mag changes are made a lot easier with a magwell, you will have to modify your mags, but it is worth it. The only thing you need to worry about is that the safety will not be able to latch below the receiver and can walk up. But if you drill a small detent hole in the receiver for it to catch on it will work. I unfortunately learned this at a match.

without magwell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjbKEnyGWM

with magwell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzHVYQbI2Jk

Once you get used to the mags they are not all that bad.

For competition the magwell is the way to go. Jack Travers Magwell sold through Carolina Shooters Supply is the way to go. He came up with the original design and then modified it to make it better + he is a good guy to deal with. Currently magwells will eliminate the use of drums. Other choices are mag guide, bolt modifications and just simple practice.

Mississippi Auto Arms has good deals on the Saigas. I like to support local vendors but he will put one in your hand cheaper even after shipping and transfer than dealers around here. Go Green he has allowed NES members an additional 5% off not on firearms though. The people at MAA are good folks as well so that does not hurt.

The Saigas tend not to like cheap bird shot. Most say run about 1-200 rounds of slug etc through them to break them in. I had no such problems and mine has worked like a charm right out of the box with what ever I put in there. Been having a ball with it @ 5 stand lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. My club is talking about starting 3 gun shoots.Next year. My friend's are buy them to. They want to make snow men when it snows out .And shot them.

Last edited:
Maybe this is stretch.. But the magwell??? Anybody know about these? And specifically, for us limited mass folks, could these magwells be adapted for use with USAS mags?? As all of those are preban, it might be a way we mass people can use high caps and drums legally here.

Nice gun, good shooting.

I lubed my 6 saiga's 223/308's with moly. I put it on the receiver rails, bolt carrier/bolt, recoil springs, plus a tad on the gas piston and on the trigger sear. I've noticed it speeds up the cycling and it runs much smoother too. Plus the trigger is awesome too. Since your being timed while you shoot using moly could make a big difference on how fast thye gun performs.

Back
Top Bottom