• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saiga 12 magazine question

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

Looking at a Saiga 12 (base model, no pistol grip). Are the 8 and 10rd mags legal in MA or only the 5rds given that config? Want to make sure everything is legal. Thanks.

Hey all,

Looking at a Saiga 12 (base model, no pistol grip). Are the 8 and 10rd mags legal in MA or only the 5rds given that config? Want to make sure everything is legal. Thanks.

Detachable magazines for a shotgun that hold more than 5 rounds are "large capacity". This is irrespective of the configuration of the gun - the magazine itself is the restricted item.

A “large capacity feeding device” is defined the same as in federal law, or:
“a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; ... The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.”

Thanks. Turns out it ships with a 5rd anyway...the photo was a stock photo that showed a larger one. So I will get the 5rd. Thanks for the input.

There are no "preban" mags that I'm aware of so we are stuck at 5 rounds. AWB rules regarding semi-auto shotguns are different than rifles so I would take a look at them before you do anything to it.

There are no "preban" mags that I'm aware of so we are stuck at 5 rounds. AWB rules regarding semi-auto shotguns are different than rifles so I would take a look at them before you do anything to it.

Correct...5rds is the max and that is what I am getting. It is what it is.

Right, but what I'm trying to tell you is my reading of it says that Pistol grip conversion is also a no-no here, thumbhole stock is ok I'm pretty sure.

Right, but what I'm trying to tell you is my reading of it says that Pistol grip conversion is also a no-no here, thumbhole stock is ok I'm pretty sure.

You are correct, as for a shotgun the ability to accept a detachable magazine counts as one of the "evil features", so putting a pistol grip on it makes it an AW.

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

image-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-1.jpg.html
What If the pistol grip doesn't protrude conspicuously. This is my ear to ear grin maker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom