Said Goodbye to my 19 year Old Cat Tempest This Morning

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempest had her final bowl of tuna. She must have had a stroke overnight and couldn't stand. She was diabetic and had a heart murmur. Everyone was surprised that she just kept going and going. She turned 19 in July.

She was the craziest girl in her younger days. She would play non stop and then fall asleep in my lap and then dream that she was playing. She was also a little neurotic. When she was little and discovered her tail she was afraid of it and would try to outrun it. Then she'd chase it and bite it. Then cry when it hurt. It took months for her to realize it wasn't a threat.

I remember the time she got out of the crate on the way to the vet and we both ended up locked in the basement. I had to MacGyver my way out and then still take her to the vet.

In her senior years she retired to a sunny room. I'm sure we will be looking in there to see her little face for a few weeks until we get used to her being gone.

DSC02012.jpg

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can picture you locking yourself in the basement ;)

I find most cats to be nicer than most people I know. Although, in full disclosure, most of the people I know aren't all that nice...

Sounds like you gave her some good years.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We have another cat now but we lost our cats a few years back. Bear, who looked very similar to Tempest was diabetic as well. She was 19 as too. She went to sleep one night and that was it. Her play partner Whiskers lived for 21 years. He was gray and white. The more playful of the two...We didn't name them. We just didn't' change the names they had when we got them from the MASPCA.

Even though they all had great runs and living so long it is still tough.

I am sorry for your loss.

BlacknRed

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So sad 8(. When the time comes, another one or two will spring into your life. If it has been a while, you'll need to brace yourself for kittens. After getting used to an older cat, they are total havoc. We had to put one down a couple of years ago. Best cat. Waited about 5 weeks and then got two 7 week old kittens. What a difference in energy level. Prepare wisely and feel free to grieve. It is only natural.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My sympathies, Cowgirlup. The wee furry beasties worm their way into our hearts, which break when they leave us. I always take a bit of comfort from this quote from Heinlein's Door Into Summer:

I hope with all my heart that his gallant little soul may find its Door into Summer, where catnip fields abound and tabbies are complacent, and robot opponents are programmed to fight fiercely - but always lose-and people have friendly laps and legs to strop against, but never a foot that kicks.
This is my Shadowcat - darned near tore my heart out when I had to hold open his Door Into Summer. He was 17; I adopted him when he was 5. Didn't know it at the time, but he had feline herpes, which gave him all sorts of health issues. Despite that, he was so easygoing when I had to medicate him - it was like he knew it was to help him. He was a fighter and never gave up until the very end when it all caught up with him after 12 great years together. He looked at me one morning, after a few days of not being able to eat, and gave me one last yowl. He was saying as plain as day that it was time. I still miss him. [crying]

Attachments

Last edited:

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad 8(. When the time comes, another one or two will spring into your life. If it has been a while, you'll need to brace yourself for kittens. After getting used to an older cat, they are total havoc. We had to put one down a couple of years ago. Best cat. Waited about 5 weeks and then got two 7 week old kittens. What a difference in energy level. Prepare wisely and feel free to grieve. It is only natural.
I have 2 emergency back up cats. I learned that lesson when I lost my first cat to cancer. Now I always have a spare or two. It makes it a lot easier. Even though I'm sad one of them is next to me in her playhouse/Amazon box and purring. That helps a lot.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Pets become such an integral part of the family and it's very difficult when you lose them.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry about your cat. Our 2 cats are 13 years old, hoping they have many years left.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 2 emergency back up cats. I learned that lesson when I lost my first cat to cancer. Now I always have a spare or two. It makes it a lot easier. Even though I'm sad one of them is next to me in her playhouse/Amazon box and purring. That helps a lot.
Sorry for your loss - our furry friends and family are difficult to lose

When we lost our older cat Ella to a bad gal bladder, having TicTac (the NES cat) only served to remind us of her while he searched the house, despondent, looking for his playmate.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe. So Sorry. I have 2 myself. They are about 12. They are best of freinds and not even litter mates. My 2 year old daughter has grown very fond of my big white furry one. I hope he sticks around a little longer for my daughter. He does like her.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry for your loss. Those little fury bastards have a sneaky way of winding themselves around your heart.

I lost my kitties a few years ago and still miss their insane personalities.

Sounds like you gave her a great home and she gave you lots of love in return.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sympathies inbound.
Glad your backups are working. You sound like a good prepper.

About the Amazon box. I don't know why Amazon doesn't just do their own line of "cat sleep boxes" and then just ship you an empty box. Ours has moods that change: sometimes its a big amazon box, sometimes she barely fits. Either way there's always an Amazon box in the family room [laugh]

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 99%
94   1   1
Sorry for your loss,I just spent $5000 on one of my cats.He had to have two surgeries,but is ok now.

dustoff22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I hate reading these threads whether cat or dog because the little creatures just take up too much of our heart and break it too soon. Tempest sure did give you some good years though. Be thankful for that.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sorry for your loss. While I'm not a cat person, I certainly get the attachment to our furry friends.

take solace in the fact that even though Tempest wasn't there for your whole life, you were there for all of hers

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I have a 14 year diabetic cat that has me wrapped around her little paw. I even trained her to say Hello. Funniest damn pet I've ever had. Almost had to put her down several times but the vet said, let's give her one more day. Not show how many times she'll be able to pull that off. All I know is I gave her the best life possible so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom