• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safety Question-

I always dump the "CLIP" and then pull the slide to eject any "Clips" in the chamber and then put a empty yellow flag in the chamber, then put a lock on the "Clip" well and ejection port, then put the "clips" and extra shells in a locked safe two rooms away from the locked safe I put the handgun in and then call Maria that it is all clear.

If we have one in the chamber- dropping the mag 1st seems counterintuitive because you want the pistol to be clear- Dropping the mag 1st your pistol is still hot- Locking the slide 1st ejecting the round, and dropping the mag seems to make sense.
That seems counterintuitive to me. Mag drop slide locked open visually check the chamber and the round in your hand

I have a bucket of mineral oil in the gun room. I drop the whole gun in. Let it set for at least 24 hours to disable the primers. I then lock the slide back and remove the chambered round. Disassemble round. Close slide and repeat as necessary. Then I remove the firing pin from the firearm and place it in a separate safe. If the gun will not reassemble without a firing pin, I use one I’ve shaved a few thousands off of. Looks right. Need a micrometer to tell.

The best part?

"Disassemble round."

Had me laughing out loud.

Just three times?

Why not four? Or five? Or six?

The Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21.

And the Lord spake saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count. Neither count thou two, excepting that thou proceed to three. Five is right out."

Last edited:
Have to add: Turn your body 90 degrees so that when you rack the slide the muzzle is pointed downrange. People have been killed when a muzzle is pointed at the station to the left (right) and a negligently chambered round slam-fires.

Have to add: Turn your body 90 degrees so that when you rack the slide the muzzle is pointed downrange. People have been killed when a muzzle is pointed at the station to the left (right) and a negligently chambered round slam-fires.

I was going over some basic gun handling with one of my wife's friends last night, (at the dinner table - we can do that here in Georgia).

I showed her how to drop the mag, then turn to keep the muzzle downrange, and PUSH the grip to rack the slide. It's funny/interesting/scary to watch someone who hasn't handled guns before, or much - there's a learning curve.

Talked to a buddy of mine yesterday after he sent me a pic. He got complacent, had a negligent discharge in his house. .45 round ricocheted off the floor, into the ceiling. Nobody got hurt, but it was a serious reminder to him to pay attention.

Always dump the mag first, then check the chamber.

I think this was the military that taught me this.. Or common sense, I can't remember.
In Iraq we had to clear all weapons just after returning to the FOB......after the gate there was a long stretch of road with clearing barrels.....everyone dismounted and cleared.....including dry fire into the barrel. We had a PFC that popped a round into the barrel because he didn't remove the magazine (step 1). Platoon Sergeant wrote him a counseling statement on it and made him teach a class to the platoon during SGTS time on how to clear a weapon. 'Bout a week later......he did it again. This time he got a company grade article 15 (loss of 1 grade) and the platoon sergeant made him practice properly clearing his rifle by making him clear it 200 times while repeating the textbook steps. PSG stood with him the whole time and counted all 200 times. He never had a problem clearing a rifle afte that. For the rest of the deployment PSG would randomly say to him "what's step 1"......to which he would reply vehemently "remove the magazine sergeant"! Some folks just need a little extra love and attention.

with gun pointed in safe direction, Drop mag, lock slide back with hand over ejection port and pistol tilted on its side to catch the ejected round into my palm, visually inspect chamber and mag well, looking for empty chamber.

Call me crazy but I feel no need to rack the slide 9 times, and this way I don't have to go chasing a random 9mm round under my bed or couch.

Chambered round goes in my range ammo can! Don't re-chamber your carry ammo, the 50 cents isn't worth it. Next time gun is loaded strip a new round out of the mag and top of the mag with a new round.

with gun pointed in safe direction, Drop mag, lock slide back with hand over ejection port and pistol tilted on its side to catch the ejected round into my palm, visually inspect chamber and mag well, looking for empty chamber.

Call me crazy but I feel no need to rack the slide 9 times, and this way I don't have to go chasing a random 9mm round under my bed or couch.

Chambered round goes in my range ammo can! Don't re-chamber your carry ammo, the 50 cents isn't worth it. Next time gun is loaded strip a new round out of the mag and top of the mag with a new round.
Can you comment more on why rechambering a carry round is a bad idea? I wouldn’t have given that a second thought. Thanks

Can you comment more on why rechambering a carry round is a bad idea? I wouldn’t have given that a second thought. Thanks
Bullet setback. It's a thing. It happens and is rare.....but it happens enough that some daily carriers worry about a round being chambered multiple times having enough setback to cause a stoppage when thr gun is fired.

I've tested some of my reloads for setback. Made a few dummy rounds of 45acp (no powder or primer and marked them with red sharpie to not confuse them with live ammo) and measured oal.....then chambers them 5 times and re checked oal. A couple of them did show a tiny amount of setback.

Bullet setback. It's a thing. It happens and is rare.....but it happens enough that some daily carriers worry about a round being chambered multiple times having enough setback to cause a stoppage when thr gun is fired.

I've tested some of my reloads for setback. Made a few dummy rounds of 45acp (no powder or primer and marked them with red sharpie to not confuse them with live ammo) and measured oal.....then chambers them 5 times and re checked oal. A couple of them did show a tiny amount of setback.
I'll normally empty the carry mag and reload with ball at the range. This way I get to verify function. I also get to randomly "rotate" the top round. Every once in a while I'll just shoot a mag of HP ammo just to re-verify that it cycles properly.

I think this video explains this-

View: https://youtu.be/fzZwR1L7fS4

I'll normally empty the carry mag and reload with ball at the range. This way I get to verify function. I also get to randomly "rotate" the top round. Every once in a while I'll just shoot a mag of HP ammo just to re-verify that it cycles properly.
Some just rotate....which works as well.

I think this video explains this-

View: https://youtu.be/fzZwR1L7fS4

Thats interesting. I've only heard of...and proven with my test that the bullet sets back......not protrudes more. I assumed from pressure against the feed ramp when clambering.

But the basic premise is that repeated clambering of the same round can cause the cartridge to become not to spec.

Some rounds are more prone to setback too. You can use a micrometer to check. My 357 sig Glock seems to be the biggest offender. Happens quite a bit to the 45 too. Doesn't happen to any of my 9mms, but I think the S&B FMJ 9mm I use has a really stiff crimp.

Some rounds are more prone to setback too. You can use a micrometer to check. My 357 sig Glock seems to be the biggest offender. Happens quite a bit to the 45 too. Doesn't happen to any of my 9mms, but I think the S&B FMJ 9mm I use has a really stiff crimp.

sig357 is one of the rounds I load. That's a very short bottleneck with not much surface area contacting the bullet. I had to work on my crimp to get it satisfactory.

I worry about bullet setback but I also do it just to rotate out my carry ammo. I don't unload/load my pistol very often. It stays in the holster pretty much.

Thanks Whacko!

I almost never unload my carry guns. I have three that I use for various conditions. My EDC is a P229. When I want better concealment (particularly in the summer) I’ll carry the Shield 9mm. When I need to pocket carry I have a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed. They all stay, loaded, in their holsters (with their spare mag for the semi-autos) in a separate safe I use just for them. These guns are either in their safe or on me. When I take them to the range, I always fire off all the carry ammo first (both in the gun and the spare mags). I use ball for the rest of the range session and then reload everything with carry ammo at the end. I only unload them at home when I’m giving them their periodic cleaning. In my opinion (right or wrong) the less I fiddle with loaded guns off range, the safer I am.

I almost never unload my carry guns. I have three that I use for various conditions. My EDC is a P229. When I want better concealment (particularly in the summer) I’ll carry the Shield 9mm. When I need to pocket carry I have a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed. They all stay, loaded, in their holsters (with their spare mag for the semi-autos) in a separate safe I use just for them. These guns are either in their safe or on me. When I take them to the range, I always fire off all the carry ammo first (both in the gun and the spare mags). I use ball for the rest of the range session and then reload everything with carry ammo at the end. I only unload them at home when I’m giving them their periodic cleaning. In my opinion (right or wrong) the less I fiddle with loaded guns off range, the safer I am.
Everyone has their way if doing it.

For me I load.....or unload and clear....my guns in my basement. Safe direction is the cement wall toward the rear......if I have an oops there is nothing back there except the washer ans dryer anyway. 🤣

I have a raised ranch home so for daily use of my carry guns I just come in the front door and the basement entrance is right there.

Talked to a buddy of mine yesterday after he sent me a pic. He got complacent, had a negligent discharge in his house. .45 round ricocheted off the floor, into the ceiling. Nobody got hurt, but it was a serious reminder to him to pay attention.
I want a bulletproof vest made out of his flooring.

In Iraq we had to clear all weapons just after returning to the FOB...... ... We had a PFC that popped a round into the barrel because he didn't remove the magazine (step 1). ... 'Bout a week later......he did it again.
Did he have "TWO POP" inked on surgical tape on the front of his helmet?

Can you comment more on why rechambering a carry round is a bad idea?
Because this.

Back
Top Bottom