Safety on the slide. Yay or Nay?

I really can't stand it man, you know what I'm sayin.

I would love to have a Beretta 92/M9 but that safety on the slide makes me want to vomit, you know what I'm sayin.

It seems so out of place...yes they make special editions with the safety on the frame, why not just keep it there http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-fs-centennial/

Yes the Taurus has a frame safety, but I want a Beretta, you know what I'm sayin.

And I'm not just frowning on Beretta, there are several pistols with this design flaw, you know what I'm sayin.

How do you feel about it, my friends?

Last edited:
Only thing on my slides is... sights.

Safety on the slide just sucks.

If you want to carry with the safety on, the slide mounted safety is too far away to be easily operated by your strong side thumb.

The slide mounted safety is also prone to being accidentally put on safe while cycling the slide.

I think you can change it to be a decocker only, which partly mitigates its suckage. But it is still a moronic design all the way around.

Safety on the slide just sucks.

If you want to carry with the safety on, the slide mounted safety is too far away to be easily operated by your strong side thumb.

The slide mounted safety is also prone to being accidentally put on safe while cycling the slide.

I think you can change it to be a decocker only, which partly mitigates its suckage. But it is still a moronic design all the way around.
Some one has small hands... Lol
Ive never had issues with the safety engaging while holstered or even while racking the slide. YMMV.

Some one has small hands... Lol Ive never had issues with the safety engaging while holstered or even while racking the slide. YMMV.

1). Nope. I wear medium or large gloves.

2). You misread what I wrote. The issue isn't with safety engaging while holstered. The issue is if you want to carry with the safety on, you can't easily reach the safety with your strong hand thumb while drawing the gun. Try handling a 1911 some time. The safety is in the perfect position to be operated by the strong hand thumb.

There is another technique for turning off the safety on the draw and you don't need to carry with the safety on. But if a gun has a safety, it ought to be easy to use without changing your master grip. That just isn't true of the 92 or S&W slide mounted safety. It is simply a stupid design.

3). If you haven't ever accidentally hit the safety decocker while cycling the slide, I suspect you've never run the gun hard. Cycle the slide aggressively enough times with an overhand grip and you will hit the safety/decocker.

Yes love them Sigs.

Still wanting that Beretta 92/M9 though.

BTW, I hate safeties but one mounted on a slide is totally ridiculous.

My favorite thing about the M9 was when they were replaced with Sig P229R-DAK's at work.

The M9 safety is shit because you can enable it accidentally. If it was decock only it'd be a different story, problem is the G is a whole different gun, it's not a simple part swap.

-Mike

I would love to have a Beretta 92/M9 but that safety on the slide makes me want to vomit, you know what I'm sayin.

It seems so out of place...yes they make special editions with the safety on the frame, why not just keep it there http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-fs-centennial/

Yes the Taurus has a frame safety, but I want a Beretta, you know what I'm sayin.

And I'm not just frowning on Beretta, there are several pistols with this design flaw, you know what I'm sayin.

Why is it important to use it as a safety? Think of it as a decocking lever. An M9/92F is perfectly drop proof with the safety in the upward or fire position because there is an internal firing pin lock. If you don't like the safety get a Beretta 92G. There is no external safety, it only acts as a decocking lever and returns to the upward position.

IMO, this is much ado about nothing. Anyone who would keep an external safety on any modern traditional DA/SA semi-automatic pistol (to include 2nd and 3rd Gen S&W pistols but not S&W 39's which lack a firing pin safety although an extra power firing pin spring is available from Wolff which will give the inertia firing pin an extra margin) is really taking a belt and suspenders approach to the issue and large negates the reason for a DA/SA pistol which is to quickly get the gun into action.

Sig metal pistols have no external safety merely a decocking lever.

I actually prefer a slide mounted safety/decocking lever over the tried and true method of pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer with the thumb on a live round like on a Taurus or the original CZ 75s or Tanfoglios. I still ride my thumb on the hammer when I do decock though using the lever.

The technique, that Massad Ayoob teaches for those who do use the safety/decocker in the down position, is the "hitch hikers thumb" where you draw and as you draw, you thrust the thumb straight up as you grasp the pistol. I've tried this and it's awkward.

I never carried my issued M9 with the decocking/safety lever in the down position nor any of my S&W's in the down position either.

I just can't see what the fuss is about, frankly.

Last edited:
IMO big difference between slide mounted safety vs decocker.
the 92G configuration w decocker only is near perfect. The standard FS w safety is pretty terrible idea. Its the reason i only use the slide stop on a 92fs and never drop the slide by weak hand....YMMV

To clarify, I don't want anything on the slide, put it on the frame.

Gotcha...then why not get an original Beretta, pre-92 FS like the ones that Taurus was based on ? There must be some floating around? I don't know if they are C&R items or not. Another possibility would be to find a Beretta 92D which is a DAO model.

Attachments

• Beretta Model 92D.jpg
    Beretta Model 92D.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 21
I put a wilson low pro single sided safety on mine. Its snag free and doesnt bother me as I only use it as de cocker. Allegheny Gun Works can swap a FS with a D model slide and install the frame mounted safety that everyone seems to covet. Or they can make the FS into a G model with decocker only.

I know what you're saying. I know what you're saying. I know what you're saying... Yea - it sucks and I would rather just have a decocker on the frame and no safety at all on a DA/SA pistol.... Like the Sigs.
Uhmmm... My 2022 has a safety on the slide.

I actually prefer a slide mounted safety/decocking lever over the tried and true method of pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer with the thumb on a live round like on a Taurus or the original CZ 75s or Tanfoglios. I still ride my thumb on the hammer when I do decock though using the lever.

That is an argument for having a decocker, not for a slide-mounted decocker. There are plenty of frame-mounted decockers (some safety/decockers) that work just fine and are not ergonomically moronic. Examples: SIG. HK USP.

The technique, that Massad Ayoob teaches for those who do use the safety/decocker in the down position, is the "hitch hikers thumb" where you draw and as you draw, you thrust the thumb straight up as you grasp the pistol. I've tried this and it's awkward.

That was not what Mas taught when I took LFI-1. What he taught was to keep your thumb straight and to hit the safety on both sides (with the thumb and index finger) as you pushed downwards to acquire your grip in the holster. I haven't tried that technique, so I won't comment on whether it is good or bad.

I just can't see what the fuss is about, frankly.

If I'm in the middle of a gunfight, things have really gone south. If I'm in the middle of a gunfight and have to do an emergency reload, then things have gone so far south that I'm nearing Antarctica. If I'm in the middle of a gunfight, am doing an emergency reload, and my hand accidentally hits the idiotic slide-mounted safety lever, putting the gun on safe, then chances are I'm going to point the gun at the perp, pull the trigger, and nothing will happen. In the next 2 seconds, as I try to figure out why the freaking gun isn't firing, I will be cursing the idiotic firearm designer, if I live that long.

So, yeah, that is worth making a big fuss about. It is a stupid design.

You can't accidentally put a Glock on safe while cycling the slide. You can't accidentally put a SIG on safe while cycling the slide. You won't even put an HK USP on safe while cycling the slide. But you can accidentally do that with Beretta 92 or S&W 3rd gen.

Slide mounted safeties are one of those things that work just fine on a square range. But add stress and time pressure and they can cause your day to go to crap.

That is an argument for having a decocker, not for a slide-mounted decocker. There are plenty of frame-mounted decockers (some safety/decockers) that work just fine and are not ergonomically moronic. Examples: SIG. HK USP.

Try running a Sig decocker as a lefty and you'll want to suck start a shotgun.

I do fine with my left index finger. I don't even have to shift my grip much if any.

I am lefty and have had no problems with 99% of the guns. Sig decocker being the worst. I have to totally change my grip and I do exactly as you suggest. I would rather use an ambi lever on the slide anyday. I use the index finger for the slide stop.. no problem but need to back my hand way up to use the decocker.

I am lefty and have had no problems with 99% of the guns. Sig decocker being the worst. I have to totally change my grip and I do exactly as you suggest. I would rather use an ambi lever on the slide anyday. I use the index finger for the slide stop.. no problem but need to back my hand way up to use the decocker.
I have nimble grim reaper fingers. Might give me the edge with the Sig decocker. Experiences can vary of course.

You may want to look into the Beretta 92G, It has the lever on the slide like a standard 92FS, but it only functions as a De-Cocker. So you eliminate the chance of accidently engaging the safety. There are also a few top notch smiths on the Beretta Forum that can convert the Standard 92FS slide to a 92G de-cocker.The Wilson Combat 92 Brigadier Tactical, and the 92G-SD also have the De-Cocker safety lever but are a bit more pricey, in the $1200 range..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom