Safety devices on gas related products rant

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I gotta say, those things piss me off. Was just out with the snowblower. Running low on gas so I needed to fill her back up. The darn safety flow thing on my can is impossible to work. I have had multiple cans, never can get it to work right. So the no spill has the opposite effect because I cannot use the spout. Half goes in the tank half goes all over the snowblower. Then there is the filter for tank of the snowblower. Two slots that you need to line up to get the cap back on. Problem is that the filter slots need to line up with the tanks slots. No problem right? Well the tolerance is so tight between filter slot and cap tabs that everytime I try to put the cap on the filter turns and now it is not lined up with the slots on the tank. Solution? Remove the filter. Talk about having the opposite effect of one's intentions.

Thank you. Feel better. My wife appreciates you guys listening to me :)

I grabbed a funnel from the kitchen for the next time I need to fill.

Pete

Last edited:

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
I gotta say, those things piss me off. Was just out with the snowblower. Running low on gas so I needed to fill her back up. The darn safety flow thing on my can is impossible to work. I have had multiple cans, never can get it to work right. So the no spill has the opposite effect because I cannot use the spout. Half goes in the tank half goes all over the snowblower. Then there is the filter for tank of the snowblower. Two lots that you need to line up to get the cap back on. Problem is that the filter slots need to line up with the tanks slots. No problem right? Well the tolerance is so tight between filter slot and cap tabs that everytime I try to put the cap on the filter turns and now it is not lined up with the slots on the tank. Solution? Remove the filter. Talk about having the opposite effect of one's intentions.

Thank you. Feel better. My wife appreciates you guys listening to me :)

I grabbed a funnel from the kitchen for the next time I need to fill.

Pete
Agree. Those f’n things in cold weather are a PITA! I’ve even gone so fast as taking them off and just pouring the gas right out of the mouth of the jug. The guy who invented them needs to be smacked upside the head

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1. Thank the courts for not telling lawyers and their stupid clients to f-off and use common sense.

2. Metal gas cans. I gave up on plastic junk. Like you say, the safety thing ends up making it worse.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Agree. Those f’n things in cold weather are a PITA! I’ve even gone so fast as taking them off and just pouring the gas right out of the mouth of the jug. The guy who invented them needs to be smacked upside the head
That's what I used to do, using a big plastic funnel. It works great.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 316040There are the least awful ones out there. There’s a button on the nozzle instead of the sliding collar that most others use.
i have one of those, to collect waste gas for burning later on. The pourer does work ok. The only problem, they do not "breath", so they will collapse during the summer months during the night.

I primarily use metal "safety" cans. Never a problem

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Scepter for the win. Pricy but worth it.

I have a couple non-NATO metal ones. I don’t use them because they pour so slowly.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
View attachment 316040There are the least awful ones out there. There’s a button on the nozzle instead of the sliding collar that most others use.
I keep a 1 gallon jug like this for my two-stoke mix, the chainsaw and weedwhacker tanks are so small, it's way too easy to overfill them with a funnel or spout. These allow for very precise flow control.

This^

I use these on all my other gas, diesel and kerosene jugs.
The vent plugs make it flow like a real old style fuel jug.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have 4 or 5 20+ year old, durable plastic 5 gallon gas containers. The good ol' ones.

They are part of my estate. Their distribution is specified in our trust documents. They are among the most valuable parts of our net worth.

""I'll give you my gas cans when you pry them from my cold, dead hands"

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got diesel all over the tractor this morning using one of these stupid spouts.
I spill more gas with these new spouts than I ever did before.
I realize they stop/slow-down evaporation but they just suck for actually pouring into the tank.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I have one of the 'No Spill' cans for the lawn mower/snow blower gas. I also have two different (5 gallon) cans for the generator. One is a 'traditional' type in that I removed the .gov mandated nozzle and installed a replacement from TSC (along with the bleed valve). The other is a different style that has a rotating nozzle and release valve you hold with your thumb. SureCan is that one (also can be had from TSC).

I made sure that my mother got one of the better can types for mower/blower gas. She hated the new mandated designs as much as we do.

As already mentioned, anytime the .gov gets involved to 'improve' things, they generally get worse.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
this might be a better fit in the "first world problem" thread..

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
For storage, the European military cans are wonderful. But a PIA to pour.

I have some 20+ year old plastic cans that have a Briggs and Stratton logo. The cool part of these cans is that you twist the nozzle to 'cock' it and then just push the whole can down onto the tank you are filling. Pushing moves the nozzle back a bit and it begins to pour. Stops when the tank is full. Just pick it up again and it's closed. Not a fast fill, but the can remains balanced the whole time, so it's no effort at all. Holds about 2.75 gallons. I use the larger cans to basically refill these. Since they work perfectly, I suspect that they are not available anymore.

Looks like this:

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
I have 4 or 5 20+ year old, durable plastic 5 gallon gas containers. The good ol' ones.

They are part of my estate. Their distribution is specified in our trust documents. They are among the most valuable parts of our net worth.

""I'll give you my gas cans when you pry them from my cold, dead hands"
Someday I might put my pre-ban Blitz gas cans up for sale. Probably worth a couple hundred dollars each! [rofl]

I have a lot of small cans for the mixed gas/oil and also used some for the gun cleaning chemicals. All of these are pre-ban as well.

I recently bought a new gas can up in NH and left it at the new house for getting some non-e gas while I still have my pre-bans in MA for the snowblower prior to our exit.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
LenS, you're going to be a wealthy man!

:)

Someday I might put my pre-ban Blitz gas cans up for sale. Probably worth a couple hundred dollars each! [rofl]

I have a lot of small cans for the mixed gas/oil and also used some for the gun cleaning chemicals. All of these are pre-ban as well.

I recently bought a new gas can up in NH and left it at the new house for getting some non-e gas while I still have my pre-bans in MA for the snowblower prior to our exit.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took the filter out of my new Ariens and slipped an O ring under the rubber seal of the gas cap, no more intolerant tolerances.
Yeah, what that FLYING F*** is with that stupid filter, that can not be aligned to the gas cap no matter what? Who appointed that engineer king lord buffoo to design that pos???

loonski

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I also have about 10 old school plastic cans in the shed but every once in a while I need one on the road and I curse this Clinton era infringement! I use this and the TPSM on cars which end up causing low air pressure when they age and corrode as another example of government ideas gone bad!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Based on Ebay prices, I don't think so. LOL. I should have sold my Blitz cans after I grabbed some Scepter ones. I never did. Oh well.

Top Bottom