• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safes

What do you guys use?

From FS site, the biggest one they carry is GM1459E a 24cap, 12 for rifles/shotguns; http://fsguns.com/safes.html
They didn't have it in house but the dimensions seems really small... When I was up in NH I saw some in Dicks for $1100 that I think would dwarf this (don't know exact dimensions)

Where did you get it from?

I have a American Security and a Summit, I have a Champion on lay-a-way from the group buy.

I second Eastern Security Safe Company. I've worked with them in the past. They have MUCH better safes than other places. They also have better prices due to their volume pricing. I like them because you can go in there with a budget and they will get you into the best safe for that price range...without trying to upsale you on things you might not need.

You tell them that you've got X amount of money and you're more concerned about Fire Safety than anything, they will get you the best for the buck. You say that you're more worrked about theft than fire, they will show you a different safe. Good People.

Any preference on analog over digital?

Digital entry scares me a bit. Are there batteries somewhere? What if they die?
Yes there are batteries. They last a very long time (several years). When they start to get weak, the dial beeps and you replace them.

I've had both. I had my S&G analog changed to digital. Digital is far faster and easier to open. In 5+ years with two digitals, I've never had any problem with them.

[rofl]

The digital dial detractors will be along shortly...

HAHA I'm not a fan of the digital but there's draw backs and good things about both. The main reason I don't like the digital is I know someone that had a party...someone thought that it was funny to take off the dial cut the cord and drop it into the door and then put it back on the safe. It wasn't cheap to have it fixed. I've also seen people that aren' that that gentle with the dials and ruined several of the numbers on the dial so it stopped working.

Then, if you spin the dial you can screw it up just as easy.

The crazy one is that if there's an EMP, you're not getting into your safe...but what's the chance of that happening? Who knows...but I'm a dial guy over a digital guy. I don't think that one is better than the other...just that you need to find out what's best for you.

Digital is faster, but I can get into my safe pretty damn fast as I've had the safe over 10 years. Granted, I'm sure that if I was understress, I don't know if I could open it as fast as I can now...so that's one of the downsides.

Bought a Champion at Eastern Safe could not be happier. Yes I went digital and would do it again. Also changing a digital combo is a piece of cake.

The crazy one is that if there's an EMP, you're not getting into your safe...but what's the chance of that happening?
If there is an EMP, I'm gonna be irradiated and dying, and getting into the safe isn't going to be high priority.

If there is an EMP, I'm gonna be irradiated and dying, and getting into the safe isn't going to be high priority.

Unless it's just an EMP to cause disruption and not an actual nuke. LOL! Again, not likely...but still, people seem to always bring it up when talking about dials. You know, to fend off the mutant zombies from the fall out.

Browning Tactical Mark II.

There's only one appropriate place to store your EBR collection, and that is in Browning's EBS:
6yjgo4.jpg

What other safe comes with with Picatinny rails?

I got a 32 gun safe field and stream fire proof and water proof 600 lbs reg price 850$ .. i got a floor model form framingham dicks store 325$ best purchase of ANYTHING i have ever made , hands down

No electronic locks for me. KISS Principle
Having had both, in every day use, the electronic lock is much simpler to operate. No need to turn twice to the left, once to the right, pass 0 to the left, stand on your head, etc. Just punch the numbers and turn the wheel.

I was in O'Connors Hardware over the weekend, and couldn't help but notice that they have a nice selection of gun safes up front. It's been a while since I was there, not sure if this is new or they've always carried them.

Having had both, in every day use, the electronic lock is much simpler to operate. No need to turn twice to the left, once to the right, pass 0 to the left, stand on your head, etc. Just punch the numbers and turn the wheel.

Did you ever think there might be a reason that safe manufacturers that have a lifetime warranty on their safe and mechanical locks impose a time limit (2 years in the case of Champion safe) on only one part of the safe - electronic locks.

Electronic locks are also more secure - they are indeed manipulation proof, and even have protection against exhaustive enumeration (lockout for a time period after entry of several incorrect combinations). If not for he "failure/lockout" risks, they would be universally better.

Rob, I understand what you are saying. But I have had no such problems with my electronic dials in daily use for 5+ years.

As we're vollying around...that is a good point. If you were understress and pressed the wrong combo a few times...you're out of your safe for 15-30 min while the timer runs out...

At least with a dial...I can keep trying hundreds...and hundreds...and hundreds...of times resulting in the same outcome. Not getting into the safe in enough time.

Still, standing by my dial safes. :)

Under stress, which are you more likely to screw up?

I do actually have years of experience using both types.

In my experience, you are far, far more likely to screw up using the dial and it takes far longer. I'll have my safe open before you get to your second number.

Under stress, which are you more likely to screw up?

I do actually have years of experience using both types.

In my experience, you are far, far more likely to screw up using the dial and it takes far longer. I'll have my safe open before you get to your second number.

Yea, but I'm a dumb ass. I'd like to pull a record on how many times I've had to re-enter my PIN at the Gas Station or the Grocery. Then ask me how you think I'd do if I was under stress at my safe. LOL!

Hmm well then, I suppose the only real solution is to pick one for now and once I exceed the gun capacity then I'll get the other and compare.

Now how about location, does anyone put a safe in the garage?

But you can remember your dial instead. Is it two full turns to the left or right?

I'm sorry but if you can remember one you can remember the other.

Back
Top Bottom