• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SAFEs, What do you got? Where do you keep them?

USA

Hey everyone,

New to NES. Been approved for LTC just waiting for it to arrive. Starting to looking into all the items besides just the firearm itself. I did a search and didn't find anything, granted I never really seem to get good results, so sorry if this has already been started.

What type of safe do you have? How much did it cost? Where do you keep it?

Safes run in price and quality from a few hundred to a few thousand. Most will agree that you should get a bigger safe than you think you need because they fill up fast. Also universally accepted is to secure the safe to the floor, wall, or both. Most people secure their safe in a discreet location like a closet or someplace out of sight so as not to advertise you have a safe potentially full of firearms to guests, delivery personnel ect..

I am going to proceed to not answer your question but give you a tip of how to best search for things on the forum.

If you use GOOGLE and put the constraint of a specific site (site:** , where ** is whichever site you are constraining to) then it will return a better search than using the built in search feature.

first safe site:northeastshooters.com

https://www.google.com/search?espv=....1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.0.0.GLaTbJE53Xc

As for your question, what kind of safe are you talking about? Are you talking a big on for long guns or smaller just for pistols?

What is your general budget, because you can get a huge serious safe but it will cost some money and will require some heavy muscle to get it inside.
https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-6028-6

vs.

http://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box/

nice try, home invader.

Yeah not falling for that one, I don't think anyone except for my wife knows where all my safes are or even the exact number I have.

Safes run in price and quality from a few hundred to a few thousand. Most will agree that you should get a bigger safe than you think you need because they fill up fast.

I cannot agree enough- If you think you will need a 20 gun safe, get a 30. Safes are often overlooked but I think safe storage of firearms is the first box one should "check" when getting into the obsession. The other thing to think about (before dropping $3k on a safe) is what are you protecting your firearms from? Re: Are you keeping them away from kids, thieves, fire, etc. When I chose my safe (30 gun Liberty custom job w S&G key pad) I wanted 1) Keep firearms away from children 2) Some sort of fire protection (I believe mine is 45 min or something) 3) deter would-be thieves 3) Not kill myself trying to move it (I am .mil so move often-hence the 45 minute fire resistance). The "come to Jesus" moment is when you realize that, no, your safe will not stand up against a competent lock smith with all the time in the world or a dude that decides to rob you with a plasma torch as part of his kit...my purpose was to discourage and prevent your run-of-the-mill thug from quickly making off with my guns/valuables. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, Liberty has a lifetime warranty and if you get broken into or damaged due to fire, they will replace it. Basic line, I guess, is do not skimp on the size or quality of your safe- get it right. You dont want to have to "craigslist" your way up to the 30 gun- safes are a PITA to move/sell. Just my .02.

Last edited:
This is why you need a decoy safe...........or 2 or.......... [wink]

no shit. awesome 1st post

Lol. Didn't realize that's how it'd be taken. I don't know who any of you or where you live. Was looking for advice on how other do it for the purpose of getting my own.

Not seeking to go out stealing or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usa, welcome. you should have used something a little more soft rock to break in (no pun intended) with your first post. well, you jumped in, time to swim. [laugh]

Sharks in the water.

Get a big safe or get a small safe. Buy once cry once?
Put it where you have room
Make sure it's fastened down or fill that ****er up so it can't be moved.......

As others have said, buy bigger than what you originally think you need. double it if you can.

Find a nice out of the way space in your house and measure the area and any doors you need to get through. That and the weight is going to determine what you can have and where you can put it.

You might also consider several smaller safes to place in different locations for say home defense reasons or any other reason.

Your choice. But it would be best if the safe(s) can be as out of the way as possible...

So take your time doing your assessment. That will determine if you will have one or more safes.

My guess is you will get one to start and possibly build on from there depending n what you realize your needs will be.

Last edited:
Lol. Didn't realize that's how it'd be taken. I don't know who any of you or where you live. Was looking for advice on how other do it for the purpose of getting my own.

But seriously, whats your general budget? Also, what kind of safe are you looking to get? Are you getting long guns or just handguns for now?

(I ask because I didn't buy a long gun safe untill I bought a shotgun because its a lot harder to hide a big safe than it is to hide pistol box)

Also, I bought a safe about the size of this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-10-gun-granite-safe-with-electronic-lock

And it is really easy to put it in a closet, but it also has a grand total of 1 shotgun and a couple of cases of shells in it. (and it is essentially full) I could probably fit 5-6 long guns in it tightly but it would be tight at that. The number listed on the descriptions is a gross exaggeration and the number of guns you think you will collect up to is probably an underestimate right now.

If you are just getting a handgun for now and you want it for home protection then having a big safe with 1 hangun in it and having it not be easily accessible when you need it isn't the greatest route. I do highly recommend the fort knox pistol box in that case, just make sure to mount the box to something because a 20 lb box of metal isn't stopping anyone from walking off with it.

Last edited:

You may not, but others including thieves can put info here together and target some folks. Try to remember that everything posted here is visible world-wide by anyone!

Never wise to give out that info. Hell, my chief wanted to send an officer to take pictures and notes of my security system, any safes I might have, etc. for their file (everything is on their computers, security questionable) and I refused him! His response "what, you don't trust the police?" and I told him "exactly"! I worked there, am aware of thefts from the PD itself and no I don't trust them!

I drilled some air holes, and I keep my safe unlocked during the day and use it to crate my dogs when I am out of the house. The guns are hidden elsewhere.

Why would I need safes? I don't even own guns since they all fell off my boat in a tragic accident last month. It was so horrible even the fish cried.

Best advice given so far is to figure out what you're wanting to buy and then buy a safe that is *much* larger. Most safe ratings are grossly incorrect. You'd be lucky to cram half of the stated limit in them.

I cannot agree enough- If you think you will need a 20 gun safe, get a 30. Safes are often overlooked but I think safe storage of firearms is the first box one should "check" when getting into the obsession. The other thing to think about (before dropping $3k on a safe) is what are you protecting your firearms from? Re: Are you keeping them away from kids, thieves, fire, etc. When I chose my safe (30 gun Liberty custom job w S&G key pad) I wanted 1) Keep firearms away from children 2) Some sort of fire protection (I believe mine is 45 min or something) 3) deter would-be thieves QUOTE]

I feel that statement I am about to type has been said by many: I don't expect that I'm going to be compiling >20 gun, but that is a good point to consider. My main concern at the moment is safety from thieves, and possibly some slight fire protection. I don't plan on my house burning down, but who does... (fail to plan you plan to fail) I have been a little shocked by the prices of safes. Never really thought about it prior to my interest in 2a and gun ownership.

As others have said, buy bigger than what you originally think you need. double it if you can.

Find a nice out of the way space in your house and measure the area and any doors you need to get through. That and the weight is going to determine what you can have and where you can put it.
You might also consider several smaller safes to place in different locations for say home defense reasons or any other reason.
Your choice. But it would be best if the safe(s) can be as out of the way as possible...
So take your time doing your assessment. That will determine if you will have one or more safes.
My guess is you will get one to start and possibly build on from there depending n what you realize your needs will be.

Haha, can't imagine the happy owner of a new safe getting home to realize it doesn't fit in his house... DOH

But seriously, whats your general budget? Also, what kind of safe are you looking to get? Are you getting long guns or just handguns for now?

(I ask because I didn't buy a long gun safe untill I bought a shotgun because its a lot harder to hide a big safe than it is to hide pistol box)

Also, I bought a safe about the size of this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-10-gun-granite-safe-with-electronic-lock

And it is really easy to put it in a closet, but it also has a grand total of 1 shotgun and a couple of cases of shells in it. (and it is essentially full) I could probably fit 5-6 long guns in it tightly but it would be tight at that. The number listed on the descriptions is a gross exaggeration and the number of guns you think you will collect up to is probably an underestimate right now.

If you are just getting a handgun for now and you want it for home protection then having a big safe with 1 hangun in it and having it not be easily accessible when you need it isn't the greatest route. I do highly recommend the fort knox pistol box in that case, just make sure to mount the box to something because a 20 lb box of metal isn't stopping anyone from walking off with it.

Like I said earlier I was shocked by the prices of some safes. The one you posted above I feel is an appropriate price and adequate size for my needs at this time; the ability to store a bit of everything on the smaller scale of quantities.

Safes run in price and quality from a few hundred to a few thousand. Most will agree that you should get a bigger safe than you think you need because they fill up fast. Also universally accepted is to secure the safe to the floor, wall, or both. Most people secure their safe in a discreet location like a closet or someplace out of sight so as not to advertise you have a safe potentially full of firearms to guests, delivery personnel ect..

Yeah, I knew that aspect of safes. What good is it if someone can take the thing with them and have all the time to open it.....

Are those hidden safes considered legal in MA, The ones that are "hidden" in plain sight?

I think it's smart as some of you have said about a discrete location. I just want to make sure that it's readily accessible in time of need. AKA running into the basement isn't the best solution I think

I cannot agree enough- If you think you will need a 20 gun safe, get a 30. Safes are often overlooked but I think safe storage of firearms is the first box one should "check" when getting into the obsession. The other thing to think about (before dropping $3k on a safe) is what are you protecting your firearms from? Re: Are you keeping them away from kids, thieves, fire, etc. When I chose my safe (30 gun Liberty custom job w S&G key pad) I wanted 1) Keep firearms away from children 2) Some sort of fire protection (I believe mine is 45 min or something) 3) deter would-be thieves QUOTE]

I feel that statement I am about to type has been said by many: I don't expect that I'm going to be compiling >20 gun, but that is a good point to consider. My main concern at the moment is safety from thieves, and possibly some slight fire protection. I don't plan on my house burning down, but who does... (fail to plan you plan to fail) I have been a little shocked by the prices of safes. Never really thought about it prior to my interest in 2a and gun ownership.

Haha, can't imagine the happy owner of a new safe getting home to realize it doesn't fit in his house... DOH

Like I said earlier I was shocked by the prices of some safes. The one you posted above I feel is an appropriate price and adequate size for my needs at this time; the ability to store a bit of everything on the smaller scale of quantities.

Yeah, I knew that aspect of safes. What good is it if someone can take the thing with them and have all the time to open it.....

Are those hidden safes considered legal in MA, The ones that are "hidden" in plain sight?

I think it's smart as some of you have said about a discrete location. I just want to make sure that it's readily accessible in time of need. AKA running into the basement isn't the best solution I think

Buy a cheap safe. Use the extra money to insure your collection with Eastern Insurance. You will sleep fine at night.

https://www.easterninsurance.com/

You may not, but others including thieves can put info here together and target some folks. Try to remember that everything posted here is visible world-wide by anyone!

Never wise to give out that info. Hell, my chief wanted to send an officer to take pictures and notes of my security system, any safes I might have, etc. for their file (everything is on their computers, security questionable) and I refused him! His response "what, you don't trust the police?" and I told him "exactly"! I worked there, am aware of thefts from the PD itself and no I don't trust them!

More info please? Why the F do they need that? Do you have some super security system they just can't believe or are they looking for something to add to their requirements?

Just saw this on Shooting USA last night- Hornady® Manufacturing is pleased to announce its acquisition of SnapSafe, a modular safe company.
http://www.snapsafe.com/snapsafe-super-titan-closet-vault.html

Now you can assemble a big safe in a small room, or as Jim Scoutten said "bring it up to the 15th floor in an elevator if you live in downtown Detroit!"

Anyone have experience with these "some assembly required" safes?

More info please? Why the F do they need that? Do you have some super security system they just can't believe or are they looking for something to add to their requirements?

I've heard of them doing this when getting a MGL

You need a monitored alarm system first with all entry points covered and a selection of internal sensors.

Get a safe as big as you can with the best protection ratings

A big safe in wood construction floors is a bad idea

I have just put a pound of black powder in my safe - surprise those plasma torch folks .

I've heard of them doing this when getting a MGL

BINGO! I told my chief that I wanted a MGL, so I can legally shoot a friend's toys (no intention of buying any Class 3 toys myself) and that is his SOP.

You need a monitored alarm system first with all entry points covered and a selection of internal sensors.

Get a safe as big as you can with the best protection ratings

A big safe in wood construction floors is a bad idea

I have just put a pound of black powder in my safe - surprise those plasma torch folks .

You won't have a home to come back to and your insurance company will have to pay out mega-$$$ for the haz-mat crew to clean up the thief's remains from everywhere within 500' of your safe! [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom