Safe won't open

sometimes the tumblers slip, normal for dial safes after a while. try the combo 2 times. first try, when you get to the middle number go over one digit. if it don't open, try it again but go one number under on the middle. if it works, your welcome. if not, it's all i got. [grin] good luck.

sometimes the tumblers slip, normal for dial safes after a while. try the combo 2 times. first try, when you get to the middle number go over one digit. if it don't open, try it again but go one number under on the middle. if it works, your welcome. if not, it's all i got. [grin] good luck.

And if/when you DO get it open, buy another safe before you close it.

Id spin the dial hard a couple times and see if something got stuck and comes unstuck.

Are you sure you are using the right combination?

Are you turning the dial the right way?

Are you turning the dial the correct number of turns in each direction?

That's all I have right now.

Try this; may or may not work but worth a few seconds to try

Clear the lock, by turning the dial past 0 three times counter clockwise.

After the third time, stop on the first number of the combination.

Turn the dial counter clock wise and pass the second number of the combination once.

While still turing the dial clockwise, stop on the second number the second time you reach it.

Turn counter clockwise once more and stop on the final number the first time you see it.

harry

Sentry has some "not usual" combo procedures.
Sentury will send you as combination if you can give them the model and serial info. You send them a notorized letter and they will send you combo for a fee.
My safe had a malfunction years a while back.
Local safe cracker had it open in 6 minutes.
The tumbler assembly was replaced under warranty. Through the safe cracker. Design issue some,how the little workings realign themselves and will change a number.

Again though sentry has safes that require you to turn the dial back until it stops after reaching your last number to open.

This ought to do it.

DSCN3526.JPG

Safe won't open...

Put it back where you stole it from. We ain't gonna help you break into someone's safe! [rofl2]

And if/when you DO get it open, buy another safe before you close it.
yeah, really. cost me 230 bucks to get a guy in to change the dial/tumblers and set the combination when i had this issue. the company that made the safe told me that little trick with the slipping combos but it only worked for so long. the safe guy told me on a lot of the gun safes with a dial, the tumblers are plastic dials and they wear out with use. he installed a better dial with metal parts. your case may vary. [thinking]

Could be the pins are just sticky .
Lay a board on the door close to the lock (So you don't mark up the door) and give it a couple of raps with a hammer.
Do that on either side of the lock and try it again.

the safe guy told me on a lot of the gun safes with a dial, the tumblers are plastic dials and they wear out with use. he installed a better dial with metal parts. your case may vary. [thinking]
S&G offers three types of lock wheels:
1. Brass. This is classic, lasts forever, and is the best.
2. Zymac (zinc alloy). Cheaper; plus they use a less robust mechanism to lock the wheels in place when a combo is set
3. Plastic. Used on high end locks resistant to radilogical analysis

But, some others may use plastic on low end locks.

Try turning the lock counterclockwise , past zero until you start to feel resitance or a click. If you
are lucky this will (can) work. After you have done the usual combination .
ggboy

Try turning the lock counterclockwise , past zero until you start to feel resitance or a click. If you
are lucky this will (can) work. After you have done the usual combination .
ggboy
Some Sentry safes have a non-standard procedure - leave the dial on the last number and then turn the handle.

As to brute force - a proper drill job will leave the safe repairable (hardened tapered drill pins are hamered into the drill hole and ground flush) without any compromise in security of the container.

There is also the ITL auto dialer, but I don't know if it works with the non-standard last number procedure on the Sentry.

Going over a number did it. I'm going to look into getting tumblers replaced

I'm a noob when it comes to safes. Got my first one about 4 years ago. Didn't realize the locks can get stuck - though not surprising. Good to know some tips/tricks to try in the event that it sticks.

Going over a number did it. I'm going to look into getting tumblers replaced
More realistically, the entire lock pack.

Another option is to change the combination so the wheel lockers grab on a different part of the week. (the general terms are wheel, gate and fence, rather than tumblers)

More realistically, the entire lock pack.
yeah, if someone comes in to do it, the whole thing comes out of the box, i doubt they'll break it up. you'll also get asked about the combination, he can reset to the same one you had or set a new one.

my experience with this is after i got the safe opened with the middle number trick, after a month or so it started doing it again. i should have got it repaired sooner. i finally got it open and left it open until help arrived with the fix.

Back
Top Bottom