Safe won't open...

Do you think that the ammo shifted in the safe and putting pressure on the back of the lock or interfering with the mechanism? Is it bolted to the wall?

I have a similar one and occasionally have the same issue (but it's with an electronic pad, not a manual dial).

Try repositioning the key and then enter the combo. If that doesn't work, try keeping the key half inserted and then enter your combo.

Those two methods have worked for me.

The only reason you shouldn't call a locksmith is....Only a handfull of locksmiths actually KNOW how to open a safe ..
PM Inbound. I thhink I might know a guy [wink]

But thats a pointless thing to do. Most locksmiths charge a flat $300 to $400 for a non-destructive entry into a safe.

This is a $100 safe. Not worth it.

The only reason you shouldn't call a locksmith is....Only a handfull of locksmiths actually KNOW how to open a safe ..
PM Inbound. I thhink I might know a guy [wink]

True. The art of manipulation is lost to all but a few (despite the excellent Matt Blaze paper on the subject), and it's more common to drill the box and repair it - neither of which makes a lot of sense on a low end lockbox.

If you want a real safe person ask if they are SAVTA (Safe And Vault Technicians Association) members.'

Even the folks at Eastern Security are not real "safe men". They sell boxes and understand the basics, but I don't think there is a single one of them who understands manipulation beyond using their autodialer for exhaustive enumeration on a mechanical lock. (too bad they didn't get the Mas-Hamilton autodialer that does actual manipulation and can often open a Group II in about 15 minues).

I have the same safe. The key lock is not an override for the combo.

I actually internally "disconnected" the combo dial on mine, as I just use it for ammo and both locks are overkill.

It's actually pretty well built for a cheap safe. There is a backplate on the door so shifting ammo should not cause it to bind up.

I would follow the smack it with a rubber mallet idea and fiddle with the dial a few times...

Worst case you can drill the door in the correct spot and punch the lockwork out. If you want a photo of the lockwork I can send you a shot of mine.

While it is hard to tell from the photo, the combination lock looks like a Sargent & Greenleaf. If so, call Boston Lock & Safe, 30 Lincoln Street, Brighton 617-787-3400.

Interesting - what function does the key serve?

The combo lock aligns its lock pack then allowing bolt to move into the open position (unlocking the bolt but not moving it).

The key lock then unlocks the bolt via the internal key lock, and then actually physically moves the lockwork when you turn the key.

The combo is a crappy imported lock, and unlike a group II lock does not have the final step where you turn it to move the lockwork. As such it is highly non deterministic if you are even entering the combination correctly.

True. The art of manipulation is lost to all but a few (despite the excellent Matt Blaze paper on the subject), and it's more common to drill the box and repair it - neither of which makes a lot of sense on a low end lockbox

If you want a real safe person ask if they are SAVTA (Safe And Vault Technicians Association) members.'

Even the folks at Eastern Security are not real "safe men". They sell boxes and understand the basics, but I don't think there is a single one of them who understands manipulation beyond using their autodialer for exhaustive enumeration on a mechanical lock. (too bad they didn't get the Mas-Hamilton autodialer that does actual manipulation and can often open a Group II in about 15 minues).

I am a SAVTA member[wink]..

Been savta approved since 2010
I will open it for a couple of boxes of ammo.. not a big job no need to spend hundreds. No uneducated locksmith needed

Wow, thanks guys for all of the help and advice. All PM's replied to as well.

5 minutes ago, I was about to try out a bunch of the suggestions I received (even had my salami ready......[shocked]) but figured I'd try opening the safe the normal way one more time for shits and giggles. Wouldn't you know, it opened right up. The key had no problems turning fully. So I closed it up... reset the tumbler... and tried it again. Again, it opened right up.

No idea what was different from yesterday to today but I guess the issue is gone... at least for now.

Again, thanks for the advice and offers of help. It's much appreciated!

Hanwei could probably pick the lock with his salami.

[smile]

Shit that's liking when your car acts up. He acts up everyday except when you go to bring it to the mechanics and they can't replicate the issue. Damn.

Back
Top Bottom