Safe won't open...

Hanwei

NES Member
So I turn to the brain trust that is NES... [wink]

I've had this safe (one of many) for about 6 years now... and have never had an issue with its function. Until today. I tumble in the combo... then insert the key and turn. The key only turns half way before being stopped. Safe won't open. I've tried "massaging" the tumbler ever so slightly to the right or left of the last number while turning the key hoping that something will give... but nothing.

I don't keep firearms in this safe... but I do keep some ammo in here (what is now, worth about $3 Million [smile]).

Any suggestions on how to open it up? I mean, I know I could go crackhead on it with a crowbar and sledge hammer... but... do I now have to get a locksmith or somebody like that to come in and open it/fix the tumbler?

This is the malfunctioning storage device:

Safe_zpscf6cd878.jpg

Looks like one of those 4-sided (+) keys. I suggest when you have the combo finished turn the key and if no luck remove and try a different side without moving the dial.

Maybe some of your big dollar ammo has shifted and is blocking the mechanisms from working correctly, give a nibble shake/tilt!!

Good Luck.

Xan you ever trust that safe to open again? Take the John Kelly magnet off then destroy it with a hammer and chisel.

The problem is most likely with the combo section. I would give the door a series of taps with a rubber mallet or a side of salami.

Shoot your way in!

Try adding one number to each number in your combo, if that does not work, try subtracting.

If you're going to go destructo on it, chances are the bottom is the weakest panel.

It wasn't Glock ammo, was it? The ammo probably just went off. There's probably bullet fragments caught up in the tumblers.

Seriously, I'm with Mike on this.

The problem is most likely with the combo section. I would give the door a series of taps with a rubber mallet or a side of salami.

- - - Updated - - -

When you have a hammer, every problem is a nail. [smile]

Shoot your way in!

The key is an override. If neither the key nor the combination work, it's probably something with the locking mechanism rather than either of the locks.

Call a lock smith of all else fails. Then once its open toss it in the trash. Yet another reason locking firearms in a safe makes little sense if you had to get to your firearms to protect yourself. Its a good thing it wasn't your primary safe and one you used to store ammo etc.

Any suggestions on how to open it up? I mean, I know I could go crackhead on it with a crowbar and sledge hammer...

Safe_zpscf6cd878.jpg

I'll just give you a tip as far as this goes. Don't attack something that is designed to be attacked. You energy is will be much better spent looking for a picture (Google) of the replacement lock. Then you will know where to drill.

OK Unless I miss my guess. That small hole over the key hole is how you release the tumbler mechanism so you can remove it. In the case of a car's ignition lock you would put the key in turn it forward and then push a small pick or safety pin in the hole and pull back on the key and the lock will side out of the cylinder. That is how you re-tumble the mechanism.

I know you said the key only turns about half way. However if it is turning that far then it is most likely disengaging the tumblers or else it wouldn't really move at all. So chances are that it is moving far enough to get it to release or come out by sticking a pin or pick in the hole with the key turned as far as it will go. When you put the pick in and feel it bottom out push on the pick slightly and you should feel some spring tension since the release is usually a little button or divot with a spring behind it.

So do the combo, insert the key and turn it as far as it will go, insert the pick, then, while pushing in slightly on the pick, turn/jiggle the key a little while pulling back on the key. Hopefully the mechanism will slid out of the cylinder. If so then you should be able to release the lock. You may see a slot inside the cylinder where a tab at the back of the mechanism goes. You can use a flat head screwdriver to turn it and release the lock.

Once it is open you can clean and lube the mechanism. Then it is just the reverse procedure to put it back together. Don't use grease in the mechanism since it will collect dust and dirt and foul the mechanism.

Hope this helps. Good luck...

Could the lock be simply stalled like when your steering wheel lock on your car jambs the key lock? Can you try literally banging the door with your fist as you try to turn the key at the same time? Sounds like it want's to open but is hanging up just a bit.

Rome

Don't call a locksmith. The trip will cost you $250

thats a $100 Sentry safe. No offense but its garbage. I know. I own one.

One thing you might try is going on youtube and looking up cracking a sentry safe.

The mechanism on these things are so poorly thought out that in some cases droping it on the floor from the right angle will open it.

If worse comes to worse just beat it open. The replacement will cost less than a visit from a locksmith.

If it's full of ammo take it out to the back yard and set in on the grill. Stand far away.
Sorry Could not resist. Call a lock smith.

That can be opened in about a minute with the right bar. Especially if its full of ammo and heavy. Sounds like its a lost cause pop the door and buy something else.

Yeah. its not a safe. Its a lock box.

Do not call a locksmith.

I'd suggest torching it open. (this is meant tongue in cheek. If the safe is full of ammo, this would be a very stupid thing to do).

With that said. just beat the thing open. Its a $100, 15 pound lock box. It shouldn't take more than a minute.

Last edited:
Yeah. its not a safe. Its a lock box.

Do not call a locksmith.

I'd suggest torching it open.

Well I'll call this one an epic fail! HE SAID IT IS FULL OF AMMO!!! Please don't tell people to take a torch to a box full of small explosives. You never know when someone will be dumb enough to listen to you...

OP if all else fails PM me and I'll cut it open with my angle grinder before you go lighting it on fire or beating a box full of primed ammo with a hammer as others have suggested. I agree that it is just too cheap of a safe to justify a locksmith visit.

Back
Top Bottom