Safe tipped over. Now what?

Asaltweapon

NES Member
My nephew is at the start of the big D. His wife was up his ass about getting the safe out of the house. He had no help and it flipped onto it's side in the back of his truck going down a short set of stairs.
He's coming here where I'll take it out with my tractor.
My question is; Do Liberty safes have a auto locking mechanism if the safe gets tipped? I ask because I could swear Eastern told me that I could not move my safe on it's side because of it.

Isn't the easy way to answer this:

"Stand it up and try to open it." ?

And if that fails, pay a pro to crack it. They’re rated for a given time before conventional methods can crack them, but any safe can be opened with enough time.

My nephew is at the start of the big D. His wife was up his ass about getting the safe out of the house. He had no help and it flipped onto it's side in the back of his truck going down a short set of stairs.
He's coming here where I'll take it out with my tractor.
My question is; Do Liberty safes have a auto locking mechanism if the safe gets tipped? I ask because I could swear Eastern told me that I could not move my safe on it's side because of it.
My liberty doesn't, or hasn't anyway when transported that way. But its probably 25 years old. Not sure if they've changed

Web site doesn't mention it in moving tips.

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe the whole big d thing has really got him in a twist and he did drive the truck down the stairs with the safe in the back I don't know. [dance]
He drove the truck down the stairs with the safe in the back?

I guess it doesn't matter if she gets the house.

AF1F1FDC-347B-4203-A76E-24C48B62EFB5.jpegIt's open.

He drove down from NH and we sneaked a couple of straps under it and picked it up with my forks. Drove the truck forward, lowered the safe to the ground onto some 2X's. Did one full wrap around near the top with a strap, picked it up and tilted it back on it's bottom.
Now he is tasked with finding a suitable pallet and it will get mounted to that.

Lucky guy didn't even scratch it or dent his new truck. Can't believe it didn't wipe out that new fangled GMC girly tailgate.

Now I'd like to know Why ESS told me I couldn't put mine on its side to move it.

As you can see the truck wouldn't fit thru the railings.

Last edited:
Serious answer:

If I recall correctly we brought my safe (Liberty Lincoln 25) into the house lying flat (on its back) on a dolly with no adverse affects. Safe was manufactured circa 2010

The end is the best. If you get out with the shirt on your back.
He came up and visited us during vacation for a break. I told him to go get some strange and that would start him out on better ground. My wife was not impressed with that.
House sold in under 2 weeks for more than the asking.

If I am not mistaken, the feature in question is a "glass relocker" which is effectively a glass plate that holds back a spring loaded bolt. It is positioned in such a way that attempting to drill the lock shatters the plate and deploys the bolt. Thus, even if you defeat the lock and retract the bolts, there are one or more extra bolts deployed that you can't retract.

The prohibition on moving a safe on it's back has to do with the glass plate being nice and strong when vertical, but easily broken if on its back.

It is unlikely that you would find a glass relocker on a consumer grade gun safe.

Since you may not know if the safe you are moving has a glass relocker or not, you assume that it does and transport them upright.

Personally, I would transport a safe with the door off (they usually lift off). Lighter, easier to grab, empty, can't accidentally lock it shut in transport. When you get the carcass in place, hang the door, lock the door with it open and make sure you can unlock it again before you ever close the door at the new location.

If I am not mistaken, the feature in question is a "glass relocker" which is effectively a glass plate that holds back a spring loaded bolt. It is positioned in such a way that attempting to drill the lock shatters the plate and deploys the bolt. Thus, even if you defeat the lock and retract the bolts, there are one or more extra bolts deployed that you can't retract.

The prohibition on moving a safe on it's back has to do with the glass plate being nice and strong when vertical, but easily broken if on its back.

It is unlikely that you would find a glass relocker on a consumer grade gun safe.

Since you may not know if the safe you are moving has a glass relocker or not, you assume that it does and transport them upright.

Personally, I would transport a safe with the door off (they usually lift off). Lighter, easier to grab, empty, can't accidentally lock it shut in transport. When you get the carcass in place, hang the door, lock the door with it open and make sure you can unlock it again before you ever close the door at the new location.
Just to add

Just to add

Although not glass, they are using the same idea. If you try beating the crap out of the lock, you knock the sheetmetal plate off the back and the bolt deploys. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom