• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe thoughts

Golddiggie

NES Member
Not talking about going to your safe place here, but where I plan to put a new (not yet purchased) [firearm] safe. I'm selling the old gun cabinet, that I've had for many years, to my neighbor for a couple of reasons. The main one is that I've outgrown it (I can barely fit what I want to put into it, in it). So, I'm looking to get a new safe. I want/need to keep it at/under 34" wide (even that wide is pushing it). Depth isn't much of an issue since it will go against a wall in my office (next to the main bedroom).

My main concern is putting it in this room, which is on the second floor of the house/side of a duplex (that I'm renting, so I'm not planning to bolt it down). The weight of the safes I'm looking at are in the 400-450# range. The house was built in the 1980's, so fairly recent construction. Just wondering if anyone has any real knowledge about how well the floor will hold up such an item. I plan to keep the heavy items (ammo) outside of it. When I had my current cabinet fully loaded with ammo, it probably tipped the scales at over 300#. Never saw any sagging in the floor or anything.

I'm not planning on asking the owners of the place about putting the safe on that floor, or in that room. Just making sure that I'm not setting myself up for major ass-ache when I could avoid it. Also, I'm NOT going to put this in the basement/garage level. I've always had the cabinet on the same floor as the bedroom and have no intention of changing that placement. Besides, I'm not getting a huge safe here (like I know some of the members have, if not multiple that size).

BTW, even when I was approaching 250# myself, the floor never gave any indication of it being an issue. I suspect there won't be any issue with this placement, but I'm interested in hearing (or rather, reading) thoughts. I would also suspect that I could have the safe span at least two floor joists (not sure which direction they run here, front to back, or side to side) to help spread the load.

i have an 800 pound safe on a second floor. a carpenter buddy said i'd be ok if i placed it in the corner on an outside wall and the wall where the tub is opposite. he told me the tub area is reinforced so that location would be the surest bet. i did what he said and the safes been in the same location for 30 years with no signs of damage to the structure. take this info with a grain of sand, i figured he knew more than me on the subject, so....

i have an 800 pound safe on a second floor. a carpenter buddy said i'd be ok if i placed it in the corner on an outside wall and the wall where the tub is opposite. he told me the tub area is reinforced so that location would be the surest bet. i did what he said and the safes been in the same location for 30 years with no signs of damage to the structure. take this info with a grain of sand, i figured he knew more than me on the subject, so....

This is what Eastern Security told me as well, outside corners of buildings have more structural support than the middle of a floor/house/apt.

Yup. Corner outside wall or if you know framing on a load bearing wall that transfers the load to the basement.

If the floor has any bounce to it now, don't do it. Some very questionable framing out there that was done by questionable contractors.

Last edited:
Meh, house built in the 50's, 75 gallon fish tank on the first floor over a fully exposed basement level (poured concrete foundation). Corner outside wall. The water in the tank weighs in around 625 pounds, the homemade sand it sits on is another 100, the tank about 50ish, so around 775 lbs when my 225 lb ass isn't standing next to it feeding the fish.

There's only one 'corner' on an outside wall that might work, and that's in the master bedroom. That's not where I want to place it. I'll see about jumping on the area where I intend to put the new safe.

Not talking about going to your safe place here, but where I plan to put a new (not yet purchased) [firearm] safe. I'm selling the old gun cabinet, that I've had for many years, to my neighbor for a couple of reasons. The main one is that I've outgrown it (I can barely fit what I want to put into it, in it). So, I'm looking to get a new safe. I want/need to keep it at/under 34" wide (even that wide is pushing it). Depth isn't much of an issue since it will go against a wall in my office (next to the main bedroom).

My main concern is putting it in this room, which is on the second floor of the house/side of a duplex (that I'm renting, so I'm not planning to bolt it down). The weight of the safes I'm looking at are in the 400-450# range. The house was built in the 1980's, so fairly recent construction. Just wondering if anyone has any real knowledge about how well the floor will hold up such an item. I plan to keep the heavy items (ammo) outside of it. When I had my current cabinet fully loaded with ammo, it probably tipped the scales at over 300#. Never saw any sagging in the floor or anything.

I'm not planning on asking the owners of the place about putting the safe on that floor, or in that room. Just making sure that I'm not setting myself up for major ass-ache when I could avoid it. Also, I'm NOT going to put this in the basement/garage level. I've always had the cabinet on the same floor as the bedroom and have no intention of changing that placement. Besides, I'm not getting a huge safe here (like I know some of the members have, if not multiple that size).

BTW, even when I was approaching 250# myself, the floor never gave any indication of it being an issue. I suspect there won't be any issue with this placement, but I'm interested in hearing (or rather, reading) thoughts. I would also suspect that I could have the safe span at least two floor joists (not sure which direction they run here, front to back, or side to side) to help spread the load.

Just remember unless your buying it has to come out at some point

Get a heavy buddy, and both of you stand back to back in the safe's footprint? Any problems? Didn't think so.

I'd rethink not bolting it....at least lag it to a stud in the wall.

Pro-tip, if moving it up a flight of stairs, if the door and shelves come out, it can make a difference. My 13 year old and I moved this one up a flight of stairs https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-with-lighted-ul-electronic-lock?cm_vc=-10005

Get a heavy buddy, and both of you stand back to back in the safe's footprint? Any problems? Didn't think so.

I'd rethink not bolting it....at least lag it to a stud in the wall.

Pro-tip, if moving it up a flight of stairs, if the door and shelves come out, it can make a difference. My 13 year old and I moved this one up a flight of stairs https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-with-lighted-ul-electronic-lock?cm_vc=-10005

Still not 100% sure which safe I'll end up getting. IF I can remove the door, I probably will before bringing it into the house. Planning to go out shopping around the middle of June.

IF I owned the place I live in, I'd be bolting it down without question. I plan to get a house of my own within the next 5 years (hopefully 4 or less). At which time, I'd bolt it into place. I also plan to bolt the compressor I have (60 gallon vertical tank) to the floor in the garage/shop area.

I would not worry about it as long as the floor is solid. My safes are in the basement but I had a stand with 2 50gallon fish tanks with no issues and that was on 4 fairly small legs so the lbs per sq in was crazy. With a safe wit a foot print of 24X24 even at 900 lbs is still only a couple pounds per sq in. Even questionable construction should be able to safely support it. There will be more support near a corner unless there are bearing walls below then it might not be much different.

Still not 100% sure which safe I'll end up getting. IF I can remove the door, I probably will before bringing it into the house. Planning to go out shopping around the middle of June.

IF I owned the place I live in, I'd be bolting it down without question. I plan to get a house of my own within the next 5 years (hopefully 4 or less). At which time, I'd bolt it into place. I also plan to bolt the compressor I have (60 gallon vertical tank) to the floor in the garage/shop area.

Check out Eastern Security. There is a group buy going on now on safes. You can choose a different model than the listed ones in the group buy thread. Sales Tax free even in MA (if you pick up, shocker eh!) and they do deliver in NH I am told.

Meh, house built in the 50's, 75 gallon fish tank on the first floor over a fully exposed basement level (poured concrete foundation). Corner outside wall. The water in the tank weighs in around 625 pounds, the homemade sand it sits on is another 100, the tank about 50ish, so around 775 lbs when my 225 lb ass isn't standing next to it feeding the fish.

This, its unlikely a safe you move without experience anywhere with 2x6(garbage/outdated) construction would pose a serious issue..other than maybe messIng up your flooring. Even 1600lbs in the middle of a 12x18 room. Wouldn't cause failure or serious bowing.. never mind the live weight dead weight thing...with knowledge of the subfloor a exterior corner or closet (depending on situation) would support 2500 lbs with no to minium damage for many decades.

personally the basement or garge bolted down after sawcutting and pouring a footing depending on situafion is the way to go.

Last edited:
My safes are on the second floor against the wall. They've been there for many years and the floors are fine. Per square foot, they don't weigh as much as a water bed,bathtub full of water or an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom