• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

safe public range recommendations in MA?

I was unaware of the membership change being membership closed.
This is a certainaly a reason not to let my membership laps

I was unaware of the membership change being membership closed.
This is a certainaly a reason not to let my membership laps
A lot of clubs make an exception for lapsed memberships. You can pay later on + a late/penalty fee and they reactivate the card.

Depends on the club.

My point there was that those places don't have member private ranges because people don't want to pay things like membership dues for
clubs and that kind of thing. And the dues for a decent club having to be built in FL would likely not be small. So you have to herd all the cats to get one range built. Then they're like "f*** the skinflints, lets profit from them" etc. Think of what an HSC would cost to build in FL.

ETA: people like us that shoot 2-4 times or more a month are the "exception" most people flint hard (or don't have time) and will be lucky to get out a few times a year. I bet if i did a survey/poll here the results would be crazy.

FL is also has a climate that basically resembles a sweaty ballsack 6 months of the year. That probably drives pay range use.

I'm an hour north of Jacksonville, FL, outside of Savannah GA. I'm a member of 17South in Fleming, GA; it's about 15 minutes from my house. Club dues were 575 this past year. For that, I get unlimited access to:
(12) tactical pits
a 25 yard pistol range
a 25 meter pistol range
a 100 yard rifle range
a 100 meter rifle range
a 500 yard rifle range, (they're scoping expanding to 800 yards)
archery range; (I don't use this)
.22 range
(2) skeet ranges
(2) trap ranges
5 stand
sporting clays

Add in a clubhouse backed by a stocked large pond, (small lake?); thursday night club dinners, a well stocked bar and storage units available by the practical pits so that you don't have to lug your steel/etc around.

IDPA first Saturday each month
nothing second Saturday - our sister clubs have events in Chatham and Brunswick
USPSA third Saturday each month
something fourth Saturday each month, (2 gun, 3 gun, whatever)

Matches are sanctioned, we run a tier 2 or better each year - two years ago we had GA state IDPA match there, in April of 2022 we're hosting the Sand Gnat again.

Owners bring in special events, such as Big Daddy Epic Shoot, (google it).

When I'm home, I typically shoot handguns at least twice a week, sometimes more; and I have a standing weekly date to shoot skeet with a buddy.

Any suggestions for clubs in the Franklin area? I would like to join one with my son.
Independent in Foxboro (Plainville line) is serviceable, mostly a shotgun club but they have two 25 yard pistol ranges which are ok and they have steel silhouettes they leave up. It's also on my way to work and only a ten min drive from the house. They also have a 100 Yd rifle range but it bench rest only.

If you don't mind a 15-20 min drive then Mansfield Fish & Game is the place to go. You can plink, they have a decent (new) indoor range, it's instructor friendly. More of a 2A club than a fudd shotgun club.

Angle Tree in North Attleboro got shut down by a judge yesterday but I wouldn't recommend them anyway, major Fudd city.

Any suggestions for clubs in the Franklin area? I would like to join one with my son.
Hopedale Pistol and Rifle Club is an indoor range with 8 alleys x 50 ft. Most all pistol calibers are allowed. PCC's are allowed as well, except for .17 HMR. The club is accessible 24x7 all year by card access. Any questions. let me know, the website is not up to date (e.g., the application letter still mentions assessments which are no longer applicable).

Nipmuc Rod and Gun Club on the Milford/Upton line has outside ranges for 100yd. rifle, 25 yd pistol (with 7 and 15 yd positions), skeet range and archery range. There is a clubhouse with a bar downstairs and a function room upstairs. The only downside is that the ranges are closed during deer season since hunting is allowed on property. Their website is fairly up to date: https://nipmucrodandgun.com/

Both are accepting new members.

MFS isn’t bad, especially being open to the public. I’ve brought a few new shooters there and I enjoyed it. The shotgun the lane over isn’t ideal, or the guy mag dumping, but it’s open to the public and doesn’t charge hourly. I don’t mind going, but am looking to join a club with nice outdoor facilities. It’s hard as most are closed or long waits for new members.

Last edited:
$20 every time you shoot? ... it would cost me at least $1040 per year. More than I pay for Westwood + Reading + Granby combined.

Why do gun clubs s*ck so much outside of New England? - When I was planning moving to FL it was similar, everything was a monthly payment or pay to shoot every time you go.

At least compared to most of the East Coast, we are spoiled in the North East.

Has nothing to do with being a skinflint. I have weeks I go 2 or 3 times to the range.

Before the primer shortage I was shooting Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

It would be ridiculous to spend $3K just to be able to shoot. At that point I would just buy 5 acres next to a reserve and shoot in that direction. It would pay off in a year or two.

Your point of having to build the range makes sense.
An annual membership at AFS is $225, unlimited range time, discount in the pro shop, etc. A corporate membership is $275 and you can have all of your employees shoot on that membership. At one point there were three of us in the office who shot there, two of us regularly. I brought a few of my company reps there to shoot. Tuesday is Ladies Night so ladies shoot free after 5pm (you’d be surprised how many take advantage of it). The only people who pay the $20 range fee are noobs or casual shooters who only go a couple times per year. It can get packed on weekend mornings w/ the RI ghetto riffraff & bachelor parties but they do teach a good licensing class and also have a reasonable intro to shoot for like $50.

An annual membership at AFS is $225, unlimited range time, discount in the pro shop, etc. A corporate membership is $275 and you can have all of your employees shoot on that membership. At one point there were three of us in the office who shot there, two of us regularly. I brought a few of my company reps there to shoot. Tuesday is Ladies Night so ladies shoot free after 5pm (you’d be surprised how many take advantage of it). The only people who pay the $20 range fee are noobs or casual shooters who only go a couple times per year. It can get packed on weekend mornings w/ the RI ghetto riffraff & bachelor parties but they do teach a good licensing class and also have a reasonable intro to shoot for like $50.
That is cheap, compared to Reading, Pembroke and Westwood (all around $300 - $350/year).

I will have to think about the $275. Could I use it for my customers as members of my "business"?

Every time we come back from a cruise
where we've spent 2-3 days in Florida before setting sail,
The Bride sez, "we need to spend enough time there to get sick of it".

You may have just helped.
I grew up in Florida. Never cared for the climate too much, but every place has its problems. The end for me, however, was one day when I was home from college over the Christmas break, out for a run at 11pm or some such, and swimming through 90 degree air at 80% humidity that I decided never to move back there. 11pm. Mid-December. Had it been July, I might not have thought so much of it. The climate is great when you're taking in a breeze off the water, wearing a swim suit and T-shirt, not caring whether you sweat. It's a different thing when you're in business casual, your parking space is 50 yards from the door, and you're wondering if you can make it without your shirt starting to stick to your back.

I was a member for a couple of years and the range was rented out a lot during the day. I enjoyed it and was there with my son last month but the people next to us had no idea of what they were doing and weren't open to suggestions so we packed up and left before one of got hit.

Because people are skinflints. Geography doesn't help either.... States like FL are f***ing flat as hell (the highest point in florida is like 350 feet ASL) which basically means that ranges that aren't shit have to be built by trucking in dirt and making berms. They don't have lots of mountains and hills and glacial till piles to shoot into like we do (everywhere). In mass when land was cheap a bunch of guys could say "hey we can put a 100 yard range here and have hunting next to this pond etc etc". And all they
had to do was clear the land and maybe drain it, build target stands, done. In FL that would involve a huge excavation project.
they just truck in some sand for the backstops

I grew up in Florida. Never cared for the climate too much, but every place has its problems. The end for me, however, was one day when I was home from college over the Christmas break, out for a run at 11pm or some such, and swimming through 90 degree air at 80% humidity that I decided never to move back there. 11pm. Mid-December. Had it been July, I might not have thought so much of it. The climate is great when you're taking in a breeze off the water, wearing a swim suit and T-shirt, not caring whether you sweat. It's a different thing when you're in business casual, your parking space is 50 yards from the door, and you're wondering if you can make it without your shirt starting to stick to your back.

What you're describing is my nightmare, and the main reason I'll never again live in the South.

I've visited 46 states. I doubt I'll make all 50, but if I'm ever at 49 and Florida's the last one I need? I'll still give it a pass.

From Sturbridge. Took my class at the rod and gun club there, really awesome place. Just wish I could be a part of it
Hamilton is accepting new members
As well as a bunch of other local clubs
Or you have Hot brass in west Springfield which is a decent rental range

Because people are skinflints. Geography doesn't help either.... States like FL are f***ing flat as hell (the highest point in florida is like 350 feet ASL) which basically means that ranges that aren't shit have to be built by trucking in dirt and making berms. They don't have lots of mountains and hills and glacial till piles to shoot into like we do (everywhere). In mass when land was cheap a bunch of guys could say "hey we can put a 100 yard range here and have hunting next to this pond etc etc". And all they
had to do was clear the land and maybe drain it, build target stands, done. In FL that would involve a huge excavation project.

Has nothing to do with being a skinflint. I have weeks I go 2 or 3 times to the range.

Before the primer shortage I was shooting Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

It would be ridiculous to spend $3K just to be able to shoot. At that point I would just buy 5 acres next to a reserve and shoot in that direction. It would pay off in a year or two.

Your point of having to build the range makes sense.

My point there was that those places don't have member private ranges because people don't want to pay things like membership dues for
clubs and that kind of thing. And the dues for a decent club having to be built in FL would likely not be small. So you have to herd all the cats to get one range built. Then they're like "f*** the skinflints, lets profit from them" etc. Think of what an HSC would cost to build in FL.

ETA: people like us that shoot 2-4 times or more a month are the "exception" most people flint hard (or don't have time) and will be lucky to get out a few times a year. I bet if i did a survey/poll here the results would be crazy.

FL is also has a climate that basically resembles a sweaty ballsack 6 months of the year. That probably drives pay range use.

(1) Most people in rural areas don't shoot a lot and when they do, they shoot on land like sand pits, a farm, a clearing, or right off their porch or out their window. For these people, a club isn't necessary.

(2) There isn't the population density to justify clubs with strong competition calendars.

(3) New England clubs were built usually around 1870-1950, well before suburban sprawl became a major problem. The clubs came before the houses when old farmland was cheap. This was also a time when new shooting sports were beginning like skeet, DCM, etc.

(4) The hunting landscape in New England changed around 1910-40. Farmers and market hunters disappeared in favor of "sportsmen" who were hobbyists rather than trying to get a few extra dollars selling grouse, etc. Check out the book "New England Grouse Shooting."

(5) Suburban sprawl is different in other parts of the country. Much more planned, usually. The areas are simply laid out differently.

(1) Most people in rural areas don't shoot a lot and when they do, they shoot on land like sand pits, a farm, a clearing, or right off their porch or out their window. For these people, a club isn't necessary.

(2) There isn't the population density to justify clubs with strong competition calendars.

(3) New England clubs were built usually around 1870-1950, well before suburban sprawl became a major problem. The clubs came before the houses when old farmland was cheap. This was also a time when new shooting sports were beginning like skeet, DCM, etc.

(4) The hunting landscape in New England changed around 1910-40. Farmers and market hunters disappeared in favor of "sportsmen" who were hobbyists rather than trying to get a few extra dollars selling grouse, etc. Check out the book "New England Grouse Shooting."

(5) Suburban sprawl is different in other parts of the country. Much more planned, usually. The areas are simply laid out differently.
With respect to point 4......market hunting was made essentially illegal between 1900 and 1918 with the lacey act, migratory bird act, and multiple other laws. By 1940 selling any wild shot game for profit had LONG been illegal. That did support the formation of many sportsman's clubs.

Last edited:

Attachments

• How I picture it.jpg
    How I picture it.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16
  • What they say it's like.jpg
    What they say it's like.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
  • The reality.jpg
    The reality.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 16

(4) The hunting landscape in New England changed around 1910-40.

I don't disagree with most of this except for the fact that there are tons of clubs in mass and other places that are not competition centric. Most of these evolved out of hunting clubs etc.

In a strange sense of irony gun culture in New England is better in some ways compared to places that weren't developed as rapidly.

FL ends up being a sewer between geography and marginal gun culture. And likely weird zoning and planning. And skinflints. The average johnny 1 box pud doesn't want to put up a few hundo for a club.

And yes, rural folks don't bother with clubs. We don't see rural MA (like true rural 30 minutes from interstate hwy) or northern nh, or rural mainers asking for clubs. They find out where to shoot from locals or friendly bob at the shoebox LGS, or just go into the middle of nowhere and start shooting into the side of a hill. Or their backyard.

I don't disagree with most of this except for the fact that there are tons of clubs in mass and other places that are not competition centric. Most of these evolved out of hunting clubs etc.

In a strange sense of irony gun culture in New England is better in some ways compared to places that weren't developed as rapidly.

FL ends up being a sewer between geography and marginal gun culture. And likely weird zoning and planning. And skinflints. The average johnny 1 box pud doesn't want to put up a few hundo for a club.

And yes, rural folks don't bother with clubs. We don't see rural MA (like true rural 30 minutes from interstate hwy) or northern nh, or rural mainers asking for clubs. They find out where to shoot from locals or friendly bob at the shoebox LGS, or just go into the middle of nowhere and start shooting into the side of a hill. Or their backyard.

I was having this conversation with my dad yesterday - clubs usually started out with some kind of specialty or purpose when they were founded. Most of the clubs I've been to in RI are shotgun clubs, either trap or skeet clubs, and this is probably like half or more of RI clubs. One or perhaps two are rifle clubs - basically Newport Rifle (1876) and maybe one or two others that have a rifle range but no shotgun fields. A few are pistol clubs, like indoor-only pistol ranges. And then come the hunting clubs that don't really have any competitive shooting.

Don't get me wrong, the clubs have other things too, but they started off with a focus on one thing, with the rest as plusses. Like a shotgun club that adds a rifle range and pistol pits - most people shoot shotgun sports but there's also say a USPSA pistol scene at the club.

So yeah, there are the "hunting club" type gun clubs, but the ones I see usually have a tiny membership pool, small budgets, and aren't really represented say on here by people very well. Those clubs exist, but because most people these days need somewhere to shoot first, hunt second if at all, these clubs simply aren't worth mentioning usually.

I don't think a lot of gun owners get too into what kind of club they want to join. Most people want somewhere close to shoot, plain and simple. I always joined clubs based on how well the club satisfied my interests - for example I was a member of three clubs (consecutively, not at once) when I lived in RI because I wanted a club with a strong rifle culture and those are rare in RI.

With respect to point 4......market hunting was made essentially illegal between 1900 and 1918 with the lacey act, migratory bird act, and multiple other laws. By 1940 selling any wild shot game for profit had LONG been illegal. That did support the formation of many sportsman's clubs.

Right but there was also a lot of people who got into hunting during the Great Depression as a way to eat, not as a hobby. This negatively impacted wildlife numbers (I don't have any hard stats, this just gets mentioned in books I've read from back then) and would've been conceptually different from the guys who were say interested in pheasant hunting as a hobby.

Jesus.......what a mess this thread is.

To the OP.....If your from Sturbridge, look into the Brookfields (North or West) , its right near you and likely there are openings available.

Back
Top Bottom