Safe Organization on the cheap. Harbor Freight style!

Been seeing a few safe modifications. Thought I post my own project. A way to organize my pistols and mags without taking up precious shelf space. Ordinary pistol stands take up shelf space. Under shelf hangers are just cheap bent epoxy covered wire that are loose and still take up some space topside of shelf. Magnetic holders are expensive at $20 per pistol. Plus magnetic mats to organize your magazines also $20 each with not much real estate.

My answer came from Harbor Freight. These can be had for as low as $3.99 each when on sale. Usually I see them for $6.99 all the time. Went out and bought 4 of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-magnetic-holder-65489.html
image_11356.jpg
Attached two sets underneath the shelf. Another two installed on the door. Though it didn't look like it needed it, you can always tape up the edges with electrical tape if you're worried about scratching the pistols. The pistols were too heavy with loaded mags to be hung. Mags attached really easily. Though loaded mags are a little off balanced and naturally twist vertically as you can see in the photo. I can aggressive open and close my safe door with nothing falling off. My P226 was the heaviest and still attached securely. My wife's Ruger SR22 can't be mounted because the slide is aluminum. The picture doesn't show many mags, but I have about 17 mags total now, and it holds them all no problem. Many of you will mention that I don't need keep mags and ammo in the safe. But I am able to organize them all in the safe with our many pistols and few rifles with no problem. All easily accessible and none stacked in tandem. Also a range bag on the bottom of the safe.

safe_organization_1.JPG
safe_organization_2.JPG
safe_organization_3.JPG

I'm working on modifying a mini dehumidifier to magnetically attach to the wall of the safe if anyone is interested in seeing how that is done.

Attachments

• safe_organization_1.JPG
    safe_organization_1.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 173
  • safe_organization_2.JPG
    safe_organization_2.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 167
Kinda cool idea, just beware of attracting metal dust to your pistols, or mags.
Or relocating a metal chip inside of a gun or mag to a place where it jams something up.
( have a welding shop so I could see those getting a little fuzzy over time at my place)

Why didn't you mount the magnet bars on the door horizontally instead of vertically? Horizontal mounting would allow the mags to hang vertically side by side, and avoid the twisting action, no?

Magnets are a good way to scratch up the finish of your guns... If you care about their finish. If it's a carry then I guess it wont hurt as much.

Thats why you dont put magnetic decals on your car. If dirt or grit gets in between the magnet and the paint... You'll mar it up.

Magnets are a good way to scratch up the finish of your guns... If you care about their finish. If it's a carry then I guess it wont hurt as much.

Thats why you dont put magnetic decals on your car. If dirt or grit gets in between the magnet and the paint... You'll mar it up.

Good point in general about magnets, but I don't see it being a problem here unless you slide the guns on the magnets. The marring you describe is more from abrasion caused by vibration and lateral movement. As long as care is taken to place the guns, and pull them straight down, it shouldn't be an issue. Overall, I like it. It's a cheap solution to a problem we all have sooner or later.

I use magnets for various chores in regards to reloading and firearm componant storage. I either use electricians tape to cover the surface of the magnet, or in some cases, use a hot glue gun and felt material from any craft store (tons of colors to choose from for matching the interior of your safe) and have zero issues with marring up the finish of my gear.

What works really well for protecting surfaces from the magnet is liquid electrical tape, just paint it on the magnets and let dry. I've done that before and it works better than expected. The question I bring up using magnets to secure firearms is if you don't pull them off squarely, then you might risk magnetizing the metal slides and that can lead to issues down the road.

The actual magnets themselves sit inside a a metal U-channel bar. The only contact points are the two edges of the u-channel bar. Which seems to be some sort of cheap power coating. I can definitely see some points about dust scratching. A periodic wiping with a clothe would help.

Back
Top Bottom