• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Safe" Gun Options for Children in the Home

My other half originally hated guns and was terrified when I would carry with our son being around. He's 4 1/2 and guess what there has never been an issue. For the home I keep a 9g biometric near the bed. I have had everyone try and use their finger swipes to try and get in it and it hasn't failed. I keep the keys for that in the bigger safe so there can be no found key accidents.

Fast forward 4 1/2yrs and instead of calling me a gun nut etc, she now has her LTC and is not only comfortable with me ccw but she will do it too. With children there are certain precautions to take BUT that does not by any means that you need to sell stuff or compromise what you have. Find a way to get her more comfortable with them and over time and learning things should iron themselves out. Also have a nice variety of handguns for her to try and let her decide what she likes best. Once she does this and is comfortable with what's in her hands it will make things easier. If she doesn't come around hopefully she will respect what you have and if not then question who you are with.

Your fiance is right. You do not need ANY guns, it is for the children. Because I want to help I will happily take your guns off your hands!

Just kidding, of course. Guns need to be properly stored such that children do not have access. Until they are old enough then they should be properly trained. To comply with Mass law your guns should be locked up now. Work with her and show / explain how they are safely stored.

my wife is the same way, but at the end of the day, when posed with the scenario of a home invasion, me getting murdered, my wife and daughter getting raped then murdered, it put's gun ownership in a different perspective for her. your fiance sees it as something that could harm the kids, not as a life saving device. i told my wife I agreed with her on a certain level, I wish I didn't need to carry and have a firearm accessible at home, but the fact is I do. no one whose been carjacked, robbed, or worse, thought it was going to happen to them until it did. ask anyone who is anti-2A who was forced to rely on the police in a life or death situation, and the police weren't able to get to them in time how they feel now (if they're alive, that is).

and why would you ever give up your right to ccw? I don't leave the house w/o a gun. I know the odds are long that I'd ever need one, but god forbid I couldn't defend my family...

Last edited:
give her a good old fashioned rogering and then she'll forget all about her silly fears while she's making your post coitus sammich [wink]

My wife doesn't like guns and I have them. Its a hot topic when it comes up but they are all locked up in a safe. If your guns aren't locked up or secured in some way that needs to happen if you have have kids in the house or you live by yourself (in MASS). I grew up with rifles hanging on the wall. I started shooting when I was 5. I knew not to touch them I knew what happend if you pulled the trigger. That was my upbringing not hers and I respect that.

The thing is people always expect, dream about, hope people will change. Most likely they won't. If your fiance can't live with guns in the house and you can't live without guns in the house maybe you shouldn't live in the same house. Not trying to be rude or harsh but I think most of the time rifts happen in marriages, etc because one person always expects the other to change in some way.

I think the OP is all over the map: shotguns, pistols, DAO, DA/SA, even mentioned an AR.

What's the problem your trying to solve? A gun for her to use for HD when you're not home? If so, go to the range with a bunch of us with guns, or an Official NES Shoot once you're Green, and then make your selection.

Make your purchase and get plenty of defense and practice ammo.

Then lock it up.

Problem solved.

I cannot see this ending well if the current course is continued. There does seem to be a serious compatibility issue. It appears you like her, but she does not like you. This usually leads to her trying to change you. Not a good start.

Here's what you do, lock them up and then tell your wife to get them without giving her a key or a code.
If she can get them, sell all your guns.

If she CAN'T Calmly ask "The kids are not smarter than you are they?"
Then keep them all in safes. [wink]

I keep 2 guns (mine and wifes) in lockboxes, the rest are in the safe and neither kid even has a chance.
The lockboxes lock after 3 failed attempts to access them. Key to override is in the safe with a combination lock.

I was just wondering that myself since the OP hasn't replied at all himself, and it was his first posting.

I'd say let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Some people do work at work and not hit "new posts" on NES all day. See what he comes back with.

I don't this "dump her" is a good response....it's dismissive of his problem.

Put your foot down now, seriously. There are woman that won't be freaked out by an inanimate piece of metal wood/plastic. Keep your weapons locked up and teach any children at a young age firearms safety. It is the ones that don't teach their children that are the ones that shoot themselves or others

^This. When my oldest was 4 1/2 she knew and could recite the 3 most important rules a child needs to know about guns:
If you see a gun:
1)Never touch it
2)Leave the room and take your sister with you
3)Tell an adult

Just start teaching these rules at and early age, they will learn them quick. When they get older you can get into safe handling and more advanced stuff.

Keep them locked in a safe and you are GTG. If your kid can get into your safe then you have bigger problems. Try explaining that now more than ever you want to protect your family, she will get over it.

Pick a fiancé that likes guns! All these BS rules before your married. Wait til after you have the signed documents...Might as well turn in your man card now and go buy some apple scrub and a loufa to wash where your balls used to be. [smile]

Truth!

I have been married before (I am remarried now), and my first wife forbid me to get a gun at all... You may think that it is just because she is worried about future children, but it is a bigger sign she is showing... A sign that emotion overrides common sense...

Not trying to be a jerk, but I have been there before... It is easier to get out before you have that piece of paper.

Yes sir!

Another point is that she is okay with you not being able to protect yourself and your family when you are outside the residence (if you only have a shotgun). You need to resolve these issues before children come into the picture... Things become more complicated then.

Jeez Louise! Get a cabinet/safe, put your guns in it, and don't give her the combination/key. Tell her the day she can get into it, is the day you will cut back to just the shotgun! Guard that key well!

The Op can educate himself by reading comments made in this thread.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/219973-Found-out-I-was-dating-a-screaming-moonbat

I will repeat what I said in that thread. The stance your fiancé is taking is nothing more than an effort to control you, what you like and what you can own. You better get this ironed out before you commit to sharing your life together. You may be able to interest your wife in some firearms that you don't currently own. I suggest you look for a "Women on Target" opportunity, a Home Firearm Safety Course and other opportunities where gun owners would be willing to let her try some other types of pistols or revolvers.
And yes, invest in a gun safe or two.
Best regards.

Thanks for the replys

I work overnights (the holiday scheduale has messed up my sleep) so it takes me awhile to reply.

I am located in Central Massachusetts.

Currently I have all my guns legally secured in locked gunvaults (the nothing special ones you get at the gun store).

Getting rid of her is not an option obviously. She can't stand illegal aliens. She comes from a family that wasn't raised around guns.

I offered to bring all my guns over to a relatives house to be secured and out of the house. She actually got pretty annoyed with me. She basically said if and when a baby arrives that she wants the guns stored in a better safe. Preferably a quick action safe. She doesn't want me to give up my guns.

The 3913 slide is simply too heavy for her to pull back at times. The 442 revolver will be used for now. I am leading towards a M&P 9 mm. I want something that I can mount a light on. Is the Mass Trigger that bad on the M&P? I heard never get a trigger job on an a handgun you plan on using for self defense for legal reasons.

My plan is to.

1. In the spring take her to the range to try multiple guns and to do fun things like shoot at soda bottles like hicok45 does on you tube. More education is needed instead of me saying here is a gun.

2. Involve a women who likes guns maybe she can take a home safety class.

3. She says as long as I get a mega idiot kid proof safe. I can keep the guns.

4. I can continue to carry.

5. Retire the 3913 as a home defense gun and use it as a Range gun. I with I could find a 3953 (the DAO version of it). The decocker/safety is a pain in the ass when carrying. Plus holster options aren't as common.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom