Safe got soaked and destroyed a lot of ammo. How do I get rid of it?

There's an impressive video that went around a while back where firefighters burned a pallet or two of ammo (Oh the huge manatees!)

But that pallet was out in the open.

Put it inside a steel box and all those "firecrackers" releasing expanding, hot gases, the pressure has nowhere to go. So the pressure inside the steel box rises.

Can a few thousand rounds generate enough pressure to burst the box? I have no idea at all and no interest whatsoever in finding out, at least not using my own ammo and safe!

If your study addresses THAT point, please link it! I don't mean that sarcastically. I would be relieved to know that my opinion has been wrong.
So we should throw a spam can in a camp fire

So we should throw a spam can in a camp fire

I think the walls of a spam can might be lot thinner than the walls of a safe, but it would still be interesting to see.

From a little ways off.

I can say from personal experience that throwing a fistful of ammo into a fire results in some amusing snap, crackle and pop activity and in those instances I observed, nobody was hit by the flying bits and probably would not have been hurt if they were. It's containment that I'm cautious of.

If you're donating the spam can, I'll film it!

There's an impressive video that went around a while back where firefighters burned a pallet or two of ammo (Oh the huge manatees!)

Put it inside a steel box and all those "firecrackers" releasing expanding, hot gases, the pressure has nowhere to go. So the pressure inside the steel box rises.

Can a few thousand rounds generate enough pressure to burst the box? I have no idea at all and no interest whatsoever in finding out, at least not using my own ammo and safe!

If your study addresses THAT point, please link it! I don't mean that sarcastically. I would be relieved to know that my opinion has been wrong.

Heres 115,000 rounds in a simulated store on fire. 17:40.

Or 252,000 rounds on 5 pallets in the back of a trailer. 21:00

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&ab_channel=NSSF%E2%80%94TheFirearmIndustryTradeAssociation

That looks like the same video I recall

Now let's repeat the test with the ammo inside a closed and locked SAFE.

A cargo trailer is more like the job boxes that I use.
The safe would be likely to contain and control it.

Now if it was a safe full of 20mm you'd have something to worry about.

Out of curiosity where are you drawing these assumptions and thoughts from?

That looks like the same video I recall

Now let's repeat the test with the ammo inside a closed and locked SAFE.

A cargo trailer is more like the job boxes that I use.
Why are you starting fires in your safe? How many gun safes are airtight? Why do we call a boat a boat and not a pony? If you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light and you turned your headlights on... Sooooooo many questions....

Head over to your nearest hood with nickel and dime bags for sale. You’d make a killing. No pun intended.

The safe would be likely to contain and control it.

Now if it was a safe full of 20mm you'd have something to worry about.

Out of curiosity where are you drawing these assumptions and thoughts from?

"Likely to" != "will", so I'll wait for someone to pack a safe with ordinary ammo, seal it and build a bonfire around it before I retract my comments [laugh]

There is no legal duty to keep ammo in a safe, not in Mass and certainly not here in NH. I use the job box approach because it is secure enough for my needs and I don't have to wonder if that worry is real or not. Since it would literally cost me hundreds of dollars to buy an extra safe just for ammo, it's good where it's at.

Speaking of firecrackers, as a teen, I carefully peeled off a few layers of the cardboard "stick" until it could be squeezed into a spent .22 case and set it off. Don't try this without hearing protection... The result was impressive.

I'm sure someone will call it pants crapping, but seriously, the job box cost me nothing. My neighbor gave it to me. The padlocks on it cost me maybe $15. A similar sized safe would cost me hundreds of dollars. Why bother? It doesn't even MATTER in my case whether that worry is valid.

... If you were in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light and you turned your headlights on...

Your headlights would shine in reverse. Duh.

anon so far as I know said:
There once was a young lady named Bright
Whose speed was far faster than light
She set out one day
In a relative way
And returned home the previous night

"Likely to" != "will", so I'll wait for someone to pack a safe with ordinary ammo, seal it and build a bonfire around it before I retract my comments [laugh]

You may have the fancy math terms that I don't understand. But I was a firefighter and a combat engineer. So, well, yeah. I know firefighting and I know explosives. [rofl]

Gunpowder is not a high explosive. If it was your theory would be spot on. But it's not. Gunpowder can be dangerous if intentionally setup to be so, however, assembled small arms ammunition would take a considerable amount of effort to make into anything resembling a bomb worth talking about.

There’s a video of them lighting an entire tractor trailer truck full of ammo on fire with the back doors open at 10 to final out the fire crackers but basically nothing happens. Are you in need of safety glasses or a face shield.

I forget who put it out, the national, shooting, sports federation or something..

It was to demonstrate that ammo isn’t really dangerous in a fire… Unless it’s in a firearm, and then it can be deadly

Edit you guys already posted it I must’ve not made it to the last page of this thread

Last edited:
DONT DO THIS!

Never involve the gov.

I wish I could share this story, but I was asked by the person I know, that was asked by their CLEO, to not share it for a while so I need to hold it a few more months.

But let's just say it involved something similar and the person I know got super lucky because the PD was very cool about it. But if some a**hole was looking at building a career and getting some exposure, someone would have ended up in court. (And it is really a friend, not me - I don't involve the gov in my life).
So did I miss the good story?

RCBS bullet puller with the colllet is about $40.
Pull about 10 rounds
Weight the powder for each round and pour individual piles on a sheet of white paper for inspection.
Use a universal decapping die to pull each primer - inspect the primer and primer pocket (if you have a jewelers loupe use it)

It may just be too low of a pressure for the powder you chose causing inconsistent ignition and squibs.

Some combinations of brass, bullets and chamber size just don't work.
I can't use 38 spl S&B brass with certain plated bullets without poor ignition causing squibs.
No reason to give up just a reason to learn.

Back
Top Bottom