• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe got soaked and destroyed a lot of ammo. How do I get rid of it?

Problem with sketchy ammo is if something happens to the recipient of such ammo, the family can go after the giver of that ammo. At that point, it becomes a matter of how much money you want to give to your attorney.

You are better off salvaging the ammo, if possible.
I promise not to tell anyone where the ammo came from. i’d take 9mm, 38 spl, .357 mag, 45 acp, and 45 Colt.
ETA: 30-06, 7.62x39., 223/5.56, Arisaka

Last edited:
Problem with sketchy ammo is if something happens to the recipient of such ammo, the family can go after the giver of that ammo. At that point, it becomes a matter of how much money you want to give to your attorney.

R.09a085fdeb5e5d34bd1acc1509123657

Diarrhea mouth.

BOOOOOOOOOO

*throws tomatoes*

I found out too late about several found full belts of 50bmg that were 'stored' in a very wet location (river) though it had already been detonated by the friendly bomb squad, I'd take a random sample, cut the casing with a tubing cutter and inspect it from the inside out.

I offered the local pd that I could help them dispose of any other found ammo at the range.

You can dispose of ammo at your local police station.
DONT DO THIS!

Never involve the gov.

I wish I could share this story, but I was asked by the person I know, that was asked by their CLEO, to not share it for a while so I need to hold it a few more months.

But let's just say it involved something similar and the person I know got super lucky because the PD was very cool about it. But if some a**hole was looking at building a career and getting some exposure, someone would have ended up in court. (And it is really a friend, not me - I don't involve the gov in my life).

Last edited:
DONT DO THIS!

Never involve the gov.

I wish I could share this story, but I was asked by the person I know, that was asked by their CLEO, to not share it for a while so I need to hold it a few more months.

But let's juat say it involved something similar and the person I know got super lucky because the PD was very cool about it. But if some a**hole was looking at building a career and getting some exposure, someone would have ended up in court. (And it is really a friend, not me - I don't involve the gov in my life).
Never, ever, ever, ever, x1000 invite the man into your life. No good deed goes unpunished.

You can dispose of ammo at your local police station.

Time to bring back the Neg Rep system.

Hello,
My ammo got soaked and sat for a while before I noticed. Its mostly unusable. Where can I dispose of it?
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Brad
I've accidently washed more than a few rounds of ammo. Always a few forgotten in my pockets after the clothing goes into the wash. It always fired. Before disposing I'd try to determine if it still fires. You might be surprised. At Freedom Day were had a few cases get soaked during a huge downpour. The boxes sat in a puddle and all the ammo function just fine.

I'd have to agree, had a basement flood with 2k rounds got soaked for a day, bullets and primers get a little lube when installed and I did dry the boxes in the stove and the ammo left to dry in the sun for a couple days till I got around to it. No misfires, 45, 9mm, 223, 7.62, no issues at all.
I think I'd forgo trying to salvage to boxes. Transfer to Ziplock after thoroughly drying out the ammo or MTM plastic boxes if that's more desirable.

Sell/Karma it to reloaders on the forum. The power and primers might be trashed while the casings and bullets can be cleaned up for reuse.

An elderly gentleman at the range I go to used to go through the dud box and try shooting all of the dud .22 lr rounds. He had a very ugly single shot bolt action that he got almost for free due to it being heavily rusted. But after some cleanup the rifle functioned fine, even though it looked terrible. He ran all the duds through it just for entertainment.

Some of the .22 rounds in the dud box had been on the ground for a long time, and they looked it, but many of them still fired. And in total, probably more than 80% of the "duds" did fire. For the rounds that had already been struck, he would rotate them and hit the rim on the opposite side.

The lesson I learned from this is that modern ammo is quite robust. And .22 rimfire generally has a very poor crimp compared to centerfire rounds. So centerfire rounds will generally survive poor treatment far better.

I should note that as I have learned more, I no longer consider trying to fire rounds from the dud box to be a good idea. As other have pointed out, there is a real potential for squibs. However, at the time, I was not concerned about it, and no such problems happened.

I'll just mention that I consider a safe with ammo in it, a bomb.

I have a dozen or so heavy duty plastic "job box" containers (the sort construction workers put their tools, saws etc in overnight) for ammo. They lock with padlocks. A thief isn't going to be slowed down much by a safe anyway.

My opinion, not necessarily correct.

Go to a local laundromat and toss it in a dryer. This way, you can destroy their machine and your wife won’t get mad for destroying yours. Plus, it will be on the news and then we can have a new thread with an actual screen name to go with the “who did it.” This idea is super cool and stuff and junk.😬

I would recommend posting them as karma here, alternatively you could put them on the top rack of your gas grill to dry them out....
I think that's a cook-off, not a cook-out. But as someone above suggested, video please, preferably at night.

Back
Top Bottom