Safe got soaked and destroyed a lot of ammo. How do I get rid of it?

Not salvageable at all? Pics? Someone here might have a solution for some of the ammo. Or they might buy it off you with the intent of tearing it down and using the components; even if the powder is bad, the bullets and casings might be useful to reloaders.

Try shooting it (one at a time), it could still be good.

+2 on someone using the components.

Pulling bullets with a bullet puller die takes seconds. I have purchased unknown reloads and taken them apart. Last batch was roughly 100 rounds, I took all the bullets and disposed of the powder in a few minutes.

should have put this as karma. or just wrote "free sketchy ammo".
there is no getting rid of ammo, unless you mean reloading the brass through so many times until it starts cracking and blowing out the walls.
then you take it to the scrap yard. brass going for 1.80 to 2.20 a pound right now

Modern ammo is a lot more resilient than you’d think. I mean it’s hard to tell sight unseen but @Broc has a good point. Dry it off and try chooting a few. Keep it as range ammo.
Correct. Powder is not affected by being wet, you might need to wait for it to dry a little, but it should shoot. If the crimps are good and the primers fit nice and tight, chances are the powder is not wet.

A bullet puller die is a few dollars or get one of those horrible hammers. Pull one bullet and see how wet the powder is.

You can then shoot that empty casing to see if the primer will go off.

OP, post pics of boxes, powder and more details like was it submerged or just had water drip on it?

How long is a while?

Might still be good. Would be "great" if it feeds but malfunctions 25% of the time. You can get some great malfunction practice in.

I'd shoot it - but I don't usually follow safety guidelines.
If 25% is malfunctioning, I would pull all those rounds and dispose of the powder.

No way I would use them for drills, too many possible issues like a squib or a hang fire.

For that, either reload a few empty rounds with a spent primer or buy some fake rounds.

Correct. Powder is not affected by being wet, you might need to wait for it to dry a little, but it should shoot. If the crimps are good and the primers fit nice and tight, chances are the powder is not wet.

A bullet puller die is a few dollars or get one of those horrible hammers. Pull one bullet and see how wet the powder is.

You can then shoot that empty casing to see if the primer will go off.
Shush!
shh-shush.gif

OP, it's toast. Give them to me.

Get a big bucket of uncooked rice and toss the ammo in. I had an iphone in my pocket when I fell off a boat. The rice bucket dried it out and it functioned fine after a few days.
They say that when you drop your iPhone in water, you should put it in rice. The rice will attract Asian people, who will fix your phone...
Old joke...

You could always bury it. But in all likelihood you can probably still shoot it. Well, we will see what it looks like first.

Wow,
You guys are awesome. I will post pics and Video once I have a chance to unload my safe.
Thank you so much for your responses.
Brad
FYI ... you won't be able to upload a video. You will have to upload it to YouTube and share the link or find a different way of sharing it.

Modern ammo is a lot more resilient than you’d think. I mean it’s hard to tell sight unseen but @Broc has a good point. Dry it off and try chooting a few. Keep it as range ammo.
I'd have to agree, had a basement flood with 2k rounds got soaked for a day, bullets and primers get a little lube when installed and I did dry the boxes in the stove and the ammo left to dry in the sun for a couple days till I got around to it. No misfires, 45, 9mm, 223, 7.62, no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom