Safe got soaked and destroyed a lot of ammo. How do I get rid of it?

Yes, totally serious. I've done it over a dozen times with no issues or problems whatsoever. Our gun club has a dud ammo box on each range, and when they get filled up, the ammo needs to be disposed of. For about 6 years it was my job to dispose of the bad ammo, which I brought to the police station in town and they had no problems taking it in for disposal. I ALWAYS had to caution the cop taking in the ammo that even though some of it looked brand new, it may have been in the box because an experimental reloader put way too much powder in them and they "could" blow up your gun and hand if you tried to shoot them, or they may have no powder in them at all and will get stuck in the barrel. While I can't say for sure what happened to the ammo after I left, but I at least had a felt good knowing I warned them about trying to shoot any of it.

I haven't done it since covid as it's now someone else's responsibility, but I'd have no qualms about doing it again if the need arose.
you should find out what range this guy goes to and just drop it off there.......just kidding that wouldn't be cool....but seriously

Brad, I didn’t wanna read all the skin flinting..

You’re probably OK. It depends on what you mean by didn’t notice for sometime…. It’s probably fine I wouldn’t use it for conceal and carry ammo but I’m guessing it’ll be just fine to use at the range..

What most people say is don’t run it through a corn cob /walnut vibrator Tumbler..

I wouldnt throw the ammo out I wouldn’t even take the time to pull it down. I would just single fire at the range.

Just watch for hang fires and I doubt you’re gonna see any of of that

Last edited:
I forgot the op is probably talking about less than 1000 rounds

Tumble rounds, handle clean rounds only with gloves, dump in Boston Common, watch the news.

On a serious note, someone who knows old ammo can make a visual judgment whether to try burning up as range fodder or if better to pull down.

Problem with sketchy ammo is if something happens to the recipient of such ammo, the family can go after the giver of that ammo. At that point, it becomes a matter of how much money you want to give to your attorney.

You are better off salvaging the ammo, if possible.

Snowflake!

Wow pot meet kettle.

Wrap it up in small bags and bring it to a gas station trash barrel like people do when they don't want to spend $2 on a trash bag sticker.

I'll just mention that I consider a safe with ammo in it, a bomb.

I have a dozen or so heavy duty plastic "job box" containers (the sort construction workers put their tools, saws etc in overnight) for ammo. They lock with padlocks. A thief isn't going to be slowed down much by a safe anyway.

My opinion, not necessarily correct.

I tend to agree with this. My guns are in my safe, my ammo is in a cabinet.

Cabinet actually has a hasp and padlock on it, but that's 'cause we're gone for a couple months in the summer, and we have service people in the house. Back of the cabinet is open, and against the wall, (it's a repurposed server cabinet), so if there is an explosion, the weakest point is the sheetrock wall.

I've actually got two of these cabinets, one next to it has tools and liquor, hasp and padlock on that one too for the same reason.

That being said - I do have about 20 lbs of tannerite in my safe. It's a binary compound, and in separate containers, so I think I'm okay with that. That's another purchase spurred on by politicians (in this case - DickHead Blumenthal), getting outraged about tannerite being sold over the counter.

I tend to agree with this. My guns are in my safe, my ammo is in a cabinet.

Cabinet actually has a hasp and padlock on it, but that's 'cause we're gone for a couple months in the summer, and we have service people in the house. Back of the cabinet is open, and against the wall, (it's a repurposed server cabinet), so if there is an explosion, the weakest point is the sheetrock wall.

I've actually got two of these cabinets, one next to it has tools and liquor, hasp and padlock on that one too for the same reason.

That being said - I do have about 20 lbs of tannerite in my safe. It's a binary compound, and in separate containers, so I think I'm okay with that. That's another purchase spurred on by politicians (in this case - DickHead Blumenthal), getting outraged about tannerite being sold over the counter.
Small arms ammunition does not behave like a bomb when burning. More acts like a tiny fire cracker.

Firefighters can walk straight into a room on fire full of small arms ammo. The fragments are unable to penetrate bunker gear. There was a study on this a while back.

I don’t think there ever was any wet ammo. OP was just seeing how wound up he could get Broc and Andrew at the prospect of karma’d pull downs. Now there’s talk of the popo, some wet crack, and possibly dehydrated bacon (WTF?).
Thread failed successfully!
I don't think it worked since I told him to keep it and I am not even sure Andrew posted in the thread.

Glorious thread fail.

Small arms ammunition does not behave like a bomb when burning. More acts like a tiny fire cracker.

Firefighters can walk straight into a room on fire full of small arms ammo. The fragments are unable to penetrate bunker gear. There was a study on this a while back.

There's an impressive video that went around a while back where firefighters burned a pallet or two of ammo (Oh the huge manatees!)

But that pallet was out in the open.

Put it inside a steel box and all those "firecrackers" releasing expanding, hot gases, the pressure has nowhere to go. So the pressure inside the steel box rises.

Can a few thousand rounds generate enough pressure to burst the box? I have no idea at all and no interest whatsoever in finding out, at least not using my own ammo and safe!

If your study addresses THAT point, please link it! I don't mean that sarcastically. I would be relieved to know that my opinion has been wrong.

...but....but....but in the movies, ammo in a fire shoots everywhere and KiLLs pEoPLe!!!!

There is a video showing this. Most ammo won't even go through a piece of cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom