Safe got soaked and destroyed a lot of ammo. How do I get rid of it?

should have put this as karma. or just wrote "free sketchy ammo".
there is no getting rid of ammo, unless you mean reloading the brass through so many times until it starts cracking and blowing out the walls.
then you take it to the scrap yard. brass going for 1.80 to 2.20 a pound right now
Who is paying 1.80-2.10 $ lb. ? Going price in Everett scrap yards is always around 1.10 in my experience. Curios, thanks

should have put this as karma. or just wrote "free sketchy ammo".
there is no getting rid of ammo, unless you mean reloading the brass through so many times until it starts cracking and blowing out the walls.
then you take it to the scrap yard. brass going for 1.80 to 2.20 a pound right now
Either M J Spangler or Andrew1220 woulda beat all of NES .... to such a karma (with obsessed mad scientist plans to strip all of it down for its components, in the middle of the night, in a dark dingy basement)

You can almost hear the giddy hyena-like crazy laughter they would be cackling in their sick OCD way...

;-)

Last edited:
Either M J Spangler or Andrew1220 woulda beat all of NES .... to such a karma (with obsessed mad scientist plans to strip all of it down for its components, in the middle of the night, in a dark dingy basement)

You can almost hear the giddy hyena-like crazy laughter they would be cackling in their sick OCD way...

;-)
Lmao we’re not that bad.

As someone said earlier ammo can be submerged for quite a while and still be usable. IIRC back in the 80s a distributer was selling 9 mm ammo having sat underwater since the end of WW II and as far as I know it all went bang. Bucket of rice or a hair dryer set on low to dry the ammo but I've run a few rounds thru the wash and cloths dryer they went bang.

Hire a professional tester. It's the only way to be sure.

bugs-bunny-dud.gif

Are you serious?
Yes, totally serious. I've done it over a dozen times with no issues or problems whatsoever. Our gun club has a dud ammo box on each range, and when they get filled up, the ammo needs to be disposed of. For about 6 years it was my job to dispose of the bad ammo, which I brought to the police station in town and they had no problems taking it in for disposal. I ALWAYS had to caution the cop taking in the ammo that even though some of it looked brand new, it may have been in the box because an experimental reloader put way too much powder in them and they "could" blow up your gun and hand if you tried to shoot them, or they may have no powder in them at all and will get stuck in the barrel. While I can't say for sure what happened to the ammo after I left, but I at least had a felt good knowing I warned them about trying to shoot any of it.

I haven't done it since covid as it's now someone else's responsibility, but I'd have no qualms about doing it again if the need arose.

Wait I figured it out. Wrap the ammo up in baby clothes and put it in a crib and drop it off at the fire station

Yes, totally serious. I've done it over a dozen times with no issues or problems whatsoever. Our gun club has a dud ammo box on each range, and when they get filled up, the ammo needs to be disposed of. For about 6 years it was my job to dispose of the bad ammo, which I brought to the police station in town and they had no problems taking it in for disposal. I ALWAYS had to caution the cop taking in the ammo that even though some of it looked brand new, it may have been in the box because an experimental reloader put way too much powder in them and they "could" blow up your gun and hand if you tried to shoot them, or they may have no powder in them at all and will get stuck in the barrel. While I can't say for sure what happened to the ammo after I left, but I at least had a felt good knowing I warned them about trying to shoot any of it.

I haven't done it since covid as it's now someone else's responsibility, but I'd have no qualms about doing it again if the need arose.

Do you honestly think theyre going to shoot ammo that some random guy dropped off?

Back
Top Bottom