• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Safe big enough for lots of ammo but not gun storage height?

Hello all,

I have a 24 gun safe and it's filled to the brim with guns (not nearly 24, that number is only true for derringers) and ammo and some other important things. I also have another smaller safe filled with lots of ammo and also some locked military cans. I want a bigger safe so I can get some more guns but we are worried what the second floor can handle in terms of weight. So what I'm thinking is buying a safe that I can put all of my ammo in and open up space in the normal gun safe. I just some cheap thing since I'm only trying to satisfy the requirement. I considered buying those shitty stack on gun safes but they don't come with shelves so it's no good for ammo. I can't find any happy medium between small handgun safe and full size gun height safe. Is there anything in between that could store a lot of ammo but isn't a full size gun safe?

Thanks,
Ser Menalak

Buy a ten gun stack on and lie it down (with the door facing up [wink]) ... you don't need shelves. Works great. I have one. you can even conceal it fairly easily if you don't need immediate access. On the floor in a closet with a few things on top?

Get a gym locker or real heavy duty industrial cabinet. There is no reason to store ammo in a safe, unless that safe is a giant underground bunker.

You should buy a regular office storage cabinet. Im sure Craigs list will yield one for sale. 72x36x18 is a pretty standard size. Also see 78" high units and 24" deep cabinets.

I just swiped a basically brand new 4 draw metal filing cabinet free off CL, with keys.

Perfect for ammo and reloading supplies.

Took about a week of looking.

I like the Job Box for ammo storage concept. I'm still a ways off from accumulating enough ammo to need a storage chest but I'm working towards ammo cans stacked inside a Job Box. I'm planning to hunt for a used one...rust is okay but no dents...repaint it with truck bed liner and then line the inside with two layers of drywall for fire resistance.

you folks are giving me ideas now. currently using mrs bos cru's hope chest for ammo storage. (it's full) BUT!!! i've got an old full size truck box outside with mostly junk in it. sand, paint, lag bolt into the crawl space, (no full basement) hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! this might be a project for new years weekend. bonus is the misses will get her hope chest back for clothes storage, although i will miss the cedar smell on my bullets.

Last edited:
We all have ideas.

But part of what drives our own ideas is what we think we need. I'm guessing that others have different ideas than I do.

Maybe people could share what their requirements were also.

My ammo storage needs are simple, space efficient and the minimum level of security necessary to comply with MA law. NOTHING MORE.

Why?
1) ammo is covered under the contents portion of any home owner's insurance with no limits. (if your policy doesn't exclude ammo or set limits on it, then its not limited or excluded.
2) Absent the presence of a gun, Ammo is safe once your child is past the age where they put everything in their mouth. 18 months ago I offered $100 to anyone who could fine a single story of a child being seriously injured by ammunition. I still have my $100.

In CT, it was in Orange Plano boxes. Now I have 99 cent locks on those boxes.

For my general access Ammo a file cabinet does well. For my longer storage I have a truck tool box I got for free.

As for a gun safe being a bomb.....no I think not. All the ammo would need to spontaneously combust instantly and it would need to be packed pretty tight. I was told by my fire chief if your house is burning bad enough to get contents of your safe to burn completely your house is most likely totally engulfed and FFs will be more or less containing the spread.

Here's some fun viewing

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree.

My old fire chief told me that in a fully involved fire, there is a point where everything in the safe burns, until the oxygen runs out, which isn't very long. But that it would be enough to start a chain reaction with ammo, which doesn't need air to burn. It seems plausible to me so I'd rather play it safe. Besides, why put ammo in a safe? Its an expensive place to put it. The only reason I could ever think of would be to weigh down a cheap safe. But that is stupid. You should be bolting it down anyway.

Don

p.s. Especially when stuff like this is available with 30 seconds of looking on CL
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/zip/5347602400.html

I just swiped a basically brand new 4 draw metal filing cabinet free off CL, with keys.

Perfect for ammo and reloading supplies.

This is what I use.
I scored several really heavy early 60's vintage units for $5 each about 20 years ago.
They hold fully loaded ammo cans very nicely and I marked every drawer with the caliber.
Nice way to organize your ammo, especially when you load 18 different calibers like I do.

I respectfully disagree.

My old fire chief told me that in a fully involved fire, there is a point where everything in the safe burns, until the oxygen runs out, which isn't very long. But that it would be enough to start a chain reaction with ammo, which doesn't need air to burn. It seems plausible to me so I'd rather play it safe. Besides, why put ammo in a safe? Its an expensive place to put it. The only reason I could ever think of would be to weigh down a cheap safe. But that is stupid. You should be bolting it down anyway.

Don

p.s. Especially when stuff like this is available with 30 seconds of looking on CL

Exploding and burning are two different things. Also, the inside of a safe is much more spacious than a barrel of a firearm.

We all have ideas.

But part of what drives our own ideas is what we think we need. I'm guessing that others have different ideas than I do.

Maybe people could share what their requirements were also.

My ammo storage needs are simple, space efficient and the minimum level of security necessary to comply with MA law. NOTHING MORE.

Why?
1) ammo is covered under the contents portion of any home owner's insurance with no limits. (if your policy doesn't exclude ammo or set limits on it, then its not limited or excluded.
2) Absent the presence of a gun, Ammo is safe once your child is past the age where they put everything in their mouth. 18 months ago I offered $100 to anyone who could fine a single story of a child being seriously injured by ammunition. I still have my $100.

In CT, it was in Orange Plano boxes. Now I have 99 cent locks on those boxes.

I basically use a closet with keypad lock on it - maybe not the best to deter theft, but is sufficient to meet storage regs

I have an old stand alone closet that I moved all my ammo into. I had no room in my safe. Now I have a little to no ammo in my safe and I have room for more guns[smile]

I respectfully disagree.

Don

Exploding and burning are two different things. Also, the inside of a safe is much more spacious than a barrel of a firearm.

Uh, the ammo burns.

If its inside a file cabinet, it builds up maybe a half psi and then it ruptures. No biggie.

A safe is stronger, the pressure builds up until a point where the safe explodes. (not the ammo).
And while a safe is roomier than a barrel, when you consider that you could put thousands of rounds of ammo inside a safe, its a fair comparison. Especially if its rifle ammo, which has more powder per round or per pound, than handgun ammo. (For example .223 weighs about 20% more than 9mm but contains typically 4 times as much powder)

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I basically use a closet with keypad lock on it - maybe not the best to deter theft, but is sufficient to meet storage regs

perfect

Don't forget that ammo is heavy. And its insured by a basic homeowners plan up to the limits of the contents portion of the policy. (obviously confirm with your ins agent but that's been my experience.)

You assume the safe is air tight? Mine (Browning) has a hole on top for the electric cord for the dehumidifier and the door is in no way pressure sealed...

Uh, the ammo burns.

If its inside a file cabinet, it builds up maybe a half psi and then it ruptures. No biggie.

A safe is stronger, the pressure builds up until a point where the safe explodes. (not the ammo).
And while a safe is roomier than a barrel, when you consider that you could put thousands of rounds of ammo inside a safe, its a fair comparison. Especially if its rifle ammo, which has more powder per round or per pound, than handgun ammo. (For example .223 weighs about 20% more than 9mm but contains typically 4 times as much powder)

Don

- - - Updated - - -

perfect

Don't forget that ammo is heavy. And its insured by a basic homeowners plan up to the limits of the contents portion of the policy. (obviously confirm with your ins agent but that's been my experience.)

My safe is not airtight. Is yours?

Back
Top Bottom