• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SA/DA guns that can be carried "cocked and locked"

Im exhausted and my brain is not working right now, so can anyone help me come up with a list of SA/DA firearms, which dont have a safety decocker. I would like the capability to carry it "cocked and locked". Also, I would prefer it to prevent the hammer from dropping at all, unlike the Walther p22 style, which only prevents the firearm from discharging, but still allows for the hammer to drop.

Single stack 9mm's would be ideal, but not looking for 1911s or highpowers

Mass compliance need not apply.

Last edited:
PK 380. [rofl][rofl]

i wouldn't carry one, but i know two guys with Taurus' 380s - the ones that look like the Beretta 84 / 85 that can be put on "SAFE" while the hammer is still cocked. -not sure if it's broken or Taurus designed it that way.

HK USP Series.... also, HK45, and HK45c.

CZ-75B.

There are probably more, but I doubt there are a ton. Single stack 9mm would be a tall order for a DA/SA that can be carried C+L.

Your hunt would be a lot easier if you allowed single action only. After all, if you really want C1 carry, then what do you really need DA for, unless you're one of those "second strike" people. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
PK 380. [rofl][rofl]

i wouldn't carry one, but i know two guys with Taurus' 380s - the ones that look like the Beretta 84 / 85 that can be put on "SAFE" while the hammer is still cocked. -not sure if it's broken or Taurus designed it that way.

Does the PK380's safety still allow the hammer to drop, like the P22 it is modeled after?

CZ-75B is DA/SA and can be carried cocked and locked. It does not have a decocker. It is double stack.

HK USP and USPc are DA/SA and can be carried cocked and locked. They do have a decocker in the standard variant, but they can be converted so that the safety lever is just a safety lever. Both are double stack, but the USPc is reasonably sized (except for the slide, which is huge).

I've got a CZ-75B and a USPc if you want to try them.

HK USP Series.... also, HK45, and HK45c.

CZ-75B.

There are probably more, but I doubt there are a ton. Single stack 9mm would be a tall order for a DA/SA that can be carried C+L.

Your hunt would be a lot easier if you allowed single action only. After all, if you really want C1 carry, then what do you really need DA for, unless you're one of those "second strike" people. [laugh]

-Mike

No, its for a small handed female. If the 3rd gen single stack Smith's didnt have the damn safety decocker, it would be perfect.

It's actually the Original Beretta 92 design. The safety was mounted on the frame (vice the slide). It was changed for the NATO specs in the early 1980's (for Italian Army/Police). Beretta liscensed Taurus to produce for South American contracts. Taurus just never changed it to slide.

No, its for a small handed female. If the 3rd gen single stack Smith's didnt have the damn safety decocker, it would be perfect.

Just leave the safety in the fire position and carry it that way. I know one major law enforcement agency (Honolulu PD) that carries their duty guns (S&W 5906) this way.

Just leave the safety in the fire position and carry it that way. I know one major law enforcement agency (Honolulu PD) that carries their duty guns (S&W 5906) this way.
[shocked] No thank you!

I wouldnt have a DAO with a safety, but i wouldnt carry a single action with a sub 4.5lb trigger this way. This coul also on occasion, find itself into her pocketbook, which if you have ever seen the inside of a woman's purse, is a recipe for disaster [laugh]

CZ-75B is DA/SA and can be carried cocked and locked. It does not have a decocker. It is double stack.

HK USP and USPc are DA/SA and can be carried cocked and locked. They do have a decocker in the standard variant, but they can be converted so that the safety lever is just a safety lever. Both are double stack, but the USPc is reasonably sized (except for the slide, which is huge).

Do you know if any of the more compact CZ's have this ability?

[shocked] No thank you!

I wouldnt have a DAO with a safety, but i wouldnt carry a single action with a sub 4.5lb trigger this way. This coul also on occasion, find itself into her pocketbook, which if you have ever seen the inside of a woman's purse, is a recipe for disaster [laugh]

I wouldn't think the safety would stay engaged in a pocketbook either.

A possibly stupid question, if the CZ-75B is DA but has no decocker, how do you drop the hammer safely after chambering a round?

Point in a safe direction, Thumb on hammer, Pull trigger, release trigger, and lower hammer down. Just like you would a revolver.

That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I have an S&W 627 and was afraid that might be the answer.

I wouldn't use my thumb. Grab the hammer with your other hand, and let down nice and slow, just because your other hand will probably be more dependable and less likely to slip than your thumb.

Check out that Taurus 24/7 though. In the compact version (like I have) it'd be a great gun for your woman.

A possibly stupid question, if the CZ-75B is DA but has no decocker, how do you drop the hammer safely after chambering a round?
You don't. You carry it cocked and locked [wink]

Well, if you really insist, you have to lower it manually and you'd best do so carefully.

My gf carries a Kahr MK9 in a holster in her purse.
A Kahr K9 is another alternative. Clearly not SA, but the trigger pull is fairly light. Downside is that the recoil spring is relatively stiff and some women (e.g., Mrs. M1911) can't lock them open. YMMV. I've got one of those as well.

Does the PK380's safety still allow the hammer to drop, like the P22 it is modeled after?

no. you have to pull the trigger. the gun will NOT, REPEAT, will NOT decock when you put on safe like the PPK - PPK/S.

ask terraformer. he's a PK 380 fanboy. [rofl][rofl] prior to that, he also was seen with a PPK. i have to wonder why i even like the guy. he has two of the guns i hate the most. [laugh]

IMO - PPS, M&P Compact, sub-compact Glock or a PARA O LDA 1911.... such as the CCO or LTC. they are out there...

*disclaimer* just thinking outloud, stay AWAY from double stack Para O's because it's a roll of the dice. the single stack ones have better reviews.

http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

as for your critera: why not a Sig 239 in 9mm? why would you punish her with a .40?

The CZ82 safety is not reliable IMHO. I've seen it first hand, and it has been documented out there on the interwebs.

Rich
Purse carry blows for safety no matter what the gun - too much crap moving around... Either get a purse with a compartment or a pocket-carry holster - both of which are problematic for draw, but there you go...

note / edit: i never trusted a hammer block. such as the 92FS, PPK / PPK-S ect..

i still ride the hammer down.

1. lock and clear (unload)
2. put on safe
3. re insert mag and stow.

at the range i'll test it a few times, or do it while the gun is "hot".... but never at home. that's just me though.

IMO - if it's not designed to be carried locked and cocked, DONT

what are your main concerns? trigger pull? her accuracy vs. trigger pull?

i would personally be very blunt about this...

either:
a. suck it up, get some range time and we'll find something you're 100% comfortable with
b. you ain't carrying anything... especially anything with "papers" in MY name...

we have it so bad in this state. [sad2]

Back
Top Bottom