S11's Milsurp Mondays Episode 1: John Cleary's M1 Garand

Hey guys,

It was brought to my attention that I only post on NES about my damned legal minutia questions. I took LenS' seminar, courtesy of a very generous forum member, and got all the answers I needed. Anyway, to switch it up I figured I'll start posting some pictures from my milsurp collection on Mondays.

This first one is very close to my heart. I bought it from the widow of fellow soldier John Cleary, of New Haven, CT. He served in the 101st Airborne, 508th PIR during WWII, and according to his wife he carried this 1943 Garand from Normandy all the way into Germany and brought it home in his duffle bag.

I got his sling and bayonet too, but unfortunately his 1911A1 and holster were sold to someone else before I found them.

Anyway, enjoy!

S11

Last edited:
Cool, would be fantastic if you could find anything that shows this serial number number on a score book or some sort of Mil doc. A true bring home M1!
Nov 1943 serial range.

Last edited:
Cool rifle.

Now go shoot some corrosive through it while smoking an unfiltered Lucky.

Cool, would be fantastic if you could find anything that shows this serial number number on a score book or some sort of Mil doc. A true bring home M1!
Nov 1943 serial range.
Most overseas unit records were destroyed once the weapons were accounted for.

Carbines are easier to identify as “Bring backs” as they did not get the late-war modifications. They also seem to be more common as they were a lot easier to conceal.

Most overseas unit records were destroyed once the weapons were accounted for.

Carbines are easier to identify as “Bring backs” as they did not get the late-war modifications. They also seem to be more common as they were a lot easier to conceal.

You'll like this week's post then! I'm a day late, but I'm about to post it. Stand by

Well Done !

I have an M1 from the widow of Korean vet. She gave it to me in 1996 a few years after he passed. No documentation and it needed a main op-rod spring . He had been on the local VFW honor guard when she married him in 1964. They didn't have kids and I had worked on his '51 Chevy a bunch of times so she called me one day and offered me some of his stuff. Sweet lady and i was very surprised. It's a beater but holds it's own on the 200 yard simulated CMP range. I shot a 380 the first time I tried it at my club. Not great but not to bad and i got a low 400 the next time.

WsgfTmu.jpg

Well Done !

I have an M1 from the widow of Korean vet. She gave it to me in 1996 a few years after he passed. No documentation and it needed a main op-rod spring . He had been on the local VFW honor guard when she married him in 1964. They didn't have kids and I had worked on his '51 Chevy a bunch of times so she called me one day and offered me some of his stuff. Sweet lady and i was very surprised. It's a beater but holds it's own on the 200 yard simulated CMP range. I shot a 380 the first time I tried it at my club. Not great but not to bad and i got a low 400 the next time.

WsgfTmu.jpg
Nice, next time you run it through cmp course of fire take sling off in off hand (cmp games legal)
And get that rifle higher up on the shoulder if you can. Pick up a few more off hand points .

Back
Top Bottom