S&W warranty work. Experience?

snax

NES Member
Light strikes, failure to fire on my 13yo M&P 9mm.
Old style striker, which had problems.
They want me to send it in.
I had a trigger job done on it before the apex stuff came out.
Worked over sear, trigger bar, free state springs, safety plunger. I also installed the newer style sear block with the bigger spring. Sweet, crisp, 4-4.5 lb pull...
Will they check/fix striker only, or would they do something idiotic like return it to me with the gritty 50lb mass trigger?
I put the query into the website hoping they'd just give me the part.
At this point I think I'd rather just spend the $15-20 on a new striker than send it off to them for 6-8 weeks.
They sent me a shipping label, so that's taken care of.

Anybody have any warranty work experience with them?

Remove the striker and check the striker channel for old crusty oil or cleaning solutions.
See how clean it is in there. It may just need a good cleaning.
Next what kind of ammo are you shooting.
I have had problems with a Glock shooting Winchester white box that had some hard primers.

Worse case is change the striker and striker spring and go from there.

I've dealt warranty a couple times with them and they were great. Way above and beyond, fast, done right and a couple free mags type of thing. That was on bone stock stuff though.
From what I've heard in your case you'll be lucky to get the hot rod parts back. Call 'em and ask.

I've dealt warranty a couple times with them and they were great. Way above and beyond, fast, done right and a couple free mags type of thing. That was on bone stock stuff though.
From what I've heard in your case you'll be lucky to get the hot rod parts back. Call 'em and ask.
Well, they are stock parts that have been massaged. Even the trigger spring is the stock free state, but you definitely notice when you pull the trigger that it is not a MA trigger.
Easy enough I can redo it myself now, but it won't be exactly the same, so I'd have to untrain 13 years of shooting on that thing.

Other poster..
Doesn't matter what ammo. Firing pin channel clean. This used to eat any and all ammo, once in a while I may get a stovepipe.
I think the pin is just worn down. There is plenty online about the firing pins in the older models wearing out.
I did a quick look, a new pin assembly is under $15. I may just do that.
I'll call them anyway, if they won't touch anything else I'll be fine with it.

I can report the same, and mine was even crazier. I am the second owner of an M&P Shield and they sent me some small parts for free after confirming serial number. I was super impressed.

I had my slide stop lever break on me on my M&P (long story), so I shipped it off for repair. They did excellent work and provided great service.

Had a revolver that had an issue moving the cylinder. Sent it in . Came back working great. Good service

Not to distract from the OP's issue, was it a current model revolver or an old one? I have a somewhat crusty 6" 28-2 that I adore, but it has intermittent issues advancing to the next cylinder.

I've only had good experience with S&W. I used to sort of collect third gun S&W 9mm's, and they sent me things like guide rods and springs for free. And years ago I bought a defective 1911 from someone here on the forum. I don't remember what was wrong with it, but S&W took care of it for free, without any fuss.

My experience with SW warranty stuff is they take forever and are disorganized, problems get fixed but I would prepare for 8 weeks. Myself if I knew was wrong for $20 I would see if they can send the part, else I would repair it myself.

My experience with SW warranty stuff is they take forever and are disorganized, problems get fixed but I would prepare for 8 weeks. Myself if I knew was wrong for $20 I would see if they can send the part, else I would repair it myself.

Yeah, probably easier to just buy the part vs sending in a good shooting/slightly worked over gun. M&P slides are pretty simple. Anyone know if there was a slide channge to go with the modified striker, or just the small parts changed?

My experience with SW warranty stuff is they take forever and are disorganized, problems get fixed but I would prepare for 8 weeks.
my experience has been the opposite. they've always told me 4 to 8 weeks for the return, always been 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, no exceptions. disorganized? my experience is different there too. i've had occasions if the customer rep person couldn't answer my questions, they've transferred me to the shop floor to speak with dept. supervisors. or into the repair gunsmith area. hey, everyones experiences differ, mine have been positive. my last send back was 2018 so things change i guess.

my experience has been the opposite. they've always told me 4 to 8 weeks for the return, always been 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, no exceptions. disorganized? my experience is different there too. i've had occasions if the customer rep person couldn't answer my questions, they've transferred me to the shop floor to speak with dept. supervisors. or into the repair gunsmith area. hey, everyones experiences differ, mine have been positive. my last send back was 2018 so things change i guess.

Last for me was 2017ish and an M&P 10, I think they said 3 weeks and it took 9 or something ridiculous.

Yeah, probably easier to just buy the part vs sending in a good shooting/slightly worked over gun. M&P slides are pretty simple. Anyone know if there was a slide channge to go with the modified striker, or just the small parts changed?

To add, I believe you can also have an approved service center deal with it, ie some dealers. A guy who works for me had a warranty issue fixed right at the shop who transferred it, believe it was either manch firing line or shooters outpost. Was a buds order that came in defective.

Light strikes, failure to fire on my 13yo M&P 9mm.
Old style striker, which had problems.
They want me to send it in.
I had a trigger job done on it before the apex stuff came out.
Worked over sear, trigger bar, free state springs, safety plunger. I also installed the newer style sear block with the bigger spring. Sweet, crisp, 4-4.5 lb pull...
Will they check/fix striker only, or would they do something idiotic like return it to me with the gritty 50lb mass trigger?
I put the query into the website hoping they'd just give me the part.
At this point I think I'd rather just spend the $15-20 on a new striker than send it off to them for 6-8 weeks.
They sent me a shipping label, so that's taken care of.

Anybody have any warranty work experience with them?
You answered your own question. Don't be cheap. Spend $15 and get it over with.

Why anyone would ever send a gun to SW for it to dissappear for 8-20 weeks or longer and at the end have them f*ck it up or tell you that you have to pay is beyond me.

99.9% of issues can you cant solved sitting on your couch can be solved by a semi competent gunsmith, and he will do a better job in less time for not a lot of money.

Couple years back I sent my whole M&P in for similar problem. I had trigger work done with lighter springs etc prior to the slide/striker issue.
Gun came back in under three weeks with not only new striker, but new barrel as well. Best part was they never touched the non-factory trigger springs!
I was happy.....

They are usually pretty good, especially if it's a gun from someone local, I really miss the days where you could just bring the damn gun over there and have them fix it while you wait lol

this thead will end up the same as any other when an opinion of anything is asked. you get 50% of the folks who are happy with the service and then the butt hurt with the remaining 50%. one thing i never see is the reason why the guns return was delayed for many weeks but i understand why one would be unhappy, but i also was in manufacturing operations management for most of my working life and know things sometimes don't go as planned for many different reasons. the customer got to be pissed at someone. ;)

this thead will end up the same as any other when an opinion of anything is asked. you get 50% of the folks who are happy with the service and then the butt hurt with the remaining 50%. one thing i never see is the reason why the guns return was delayed for many weeks but i understand why one would be unhappy, but i also was in manufacturing operations management for most of my working life and know things sometimes don't go as planned for many different reasons. the customer got to be pissed at someone. ;)
Every time I read threads about people having guns delayed at SW for weeks, no one seems to know why. It is always "I sent my gun in July, it is December and they tell me it is still waiting in line to get repaired".

Something like that.

A lot of times it is revolvers having some sort of cylinder issue. Maybe it is a parts availability, maybe it is one out of 100 that get lost in the mess and that person decides to be loud.

I remmeber reading a thread about a guy who's revolver was at SW for like 3 months and then they told him he had to pay $X if he wanted it fixed. And it was a stupid issue a gunsmith could have fixed for less money.

I sent them a Shield ,45 that needed a new slide. It did not have a Ma trigger and came back with a new slide and the same trigger it had when I sent it.

They are usually pretty good, especially if it's a gun from someone local, I really miss the days where you could just bring the damn gun over there and have them fix it while you wait lol

I didn't know they stopped that service. About 10 years ago I 340PD with a bit of a wall in its double action trigger pull. I waited in reception and in 40 minutes it was done.

Work was fast but the customer service sucked. Each time I dealt with someone it was an exercise in frustration. Turned me off S&W ever since. (Though I still have my 1973 Model 15-3 and love it)

I didn't know they stopped that service. About 10 years ago I 340PD with a bit of a wall in its double action trigger pull. I waited in reception and in 40 minutes it was done.
They stopped that when the shooting range was closed down some years back. Place is locked up pretty tight now, unless maybe you know someone that works there that's got their LTC and can bring it in for you, you pretty much have to ship it to them now.

Back
Top Bottom