S&W warranty question M&P

If you want to save the expense of shipping, you could get the same work done by NES's own Greg Derr (www.derrprecision.com). I have had him do both my full-size M&P 9mm and the same in .40.

Sweeet doesn't even begin to describe how much I like the work.

Last edited:
To be certain... could call and ask. However in most cases that I'm familiar with they will service the gun if the problem is unrelated to the work you did. Think about it.. if you had a trigger job and you sent the gun back because the front sight was loose do you think they could deny you? I suppose the could but if ANYONE did that I'd think twice about doing any business with them. S&W is good.

If you modify the gun and your modifications are the perceived as the source of the problem then they will charge you for the repairs. Unlike some companies S&W does not jump at the opportunity to void the warranty. They just don't like fixing problems they didn't create. The company line is a little more conservative depending on who you ask but this is what my EXTENSIVE experience has been. I have sent the same guns back enough times for two or three gun owners.

S&W will fix the gun if it is unrelated to the modification, according to the experiences of many on this board.

I changed the trigger and recoil spring on my S&W 1911.

I had some problems with the gun and S&W replaced the barrel. They changed out the spring for their stock spring and included my spring in the package back to me. The gun has a Castillo trigger and the did nothing to it and left that "as is" when they repaired the gun.

Bottom line, if the problem is unrelated to your modifications, they will fix the gun.

There is actually a federal law that requires a manufacturer to honor warranty coverage in the case where a modification was made, but said change had nothing to do with the customer's problem. It is up to the manufacturer to prove that the modification is the sole cause or majority contributor of the fault. Most of the claims came from the automotive industry, but as far as I know the law covers any product.

That said, some companies are better than others in honoring warranty work. As I state in just about every class, if every manufacturer of every product treated their customers like S&W, SIG, or most gun companies do, I'd never have another complaint about car companies again.

There is actually a federal law that requires a manufacturer to honor warranty coverage in the case where a modification was made, but said change had nothing to do with the customer's problem. It is up to the manufacturer to prove that the modification is the sole cause or majority contributor of the fault. Most of the claims came from the automotive industry, but as far as I know the law covers any product.

That said, some companies are better than others in honoring warranty work. As I state in just about every class, if every manufacturer of every product treated their customers like S&W, SIG, or most gun companies do, I'd never have another complaint about car companies again.

Car companies are notorious for denying warranties at the drop of a hat. I had an Audi and they were awful about it.

I plan on getting an M&P and it's good to hear SW is good about warranties. I like buying local if the product is good.

If you want to save the expense of shipping, you could get the same work done by NES's own Greg Derr (www.derrprecision.com). I have had him do both my full-size M&P 9mm and the same in .40.

Sweeet doesn't even begin to describe how much I like the work.

+1 to this. I just had some work done on my 1911 and I'm VERY happy with the work, and the price.

So long as you have quality work done on your gun (ie work that won't lead to the malfunction of the gun) you can still have it repaired by S&W

Back
Top Bottom